BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

43 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Look at where that team with the biggest budget / best squad finished this season after he left. 

That's pretty irrelevant really it's more about who they replaced him with and if his face fit.

We all know how easy one stupid appointment can ruin someone else's good work overnight.

42 minutes ago, 47er said:

We've don't always have to  go to one extreme or another. JDT can be criticised without that being taken to mean anyone wants him sacked!

He's done things that I can't fathom, extended run for Morton who isn't up to it, sidelining both Whartons, changing the keeper for an inferior one, not bringing any contacts in like the dingle gaffer has from Belgium....few things I'm not happy about.   He doesn't seem too arsed either way.....🤷‍♂️

He needs to step up and not pass the buck to the useless Broughton.   I'll give him the summer.

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I mean even today in a 'poor' performance - JRC missed an absolute sitter, Gallagher couldn't bundle it over the line from 1 yard out (and missed a free header 6 yards out) and Norwich cleared one off their line. 

We simply cannot score enough goals with this forward line. 

But he leaves Thomas and Dolan on the bench and the first name on his team sheet is a defensive mid who cant pass forwards.

This hardly helps the quest for goals.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tomphil said:

But he leaves Thomas and Dolan on the bench and the first name on his team sheet is a defensive mid who cant pass forwards.

Thomas for Hedges I don't understand. Brereton-Diaz for Dolan I can - even when he's drifted out of games he can still bag you a goal.

Morton I'll never understand, but my hope is this tough love saga will make A. Wharton a much better player (hopefully for us!). 

40 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's done things that I can't fathom, extended run for Morton who isn't up to it, sidelining both Whartons, changing the keeper for an inferior one, not bringing any contacts in like the dingle gaffer has from Belgium....few things I'm not happy about.   He doesn't seem too arsed either way.....🤷‍♂️

He needs to step up and not pass the buck to the useless Broughton.   I'll give him the summer.

He literally had to change the Goalkeeper - Kaminski needed knee surgery. I'd change them back now that he's fit, mind. 

Scott Wharton isn't as good as Carter or Hyam imo - he's a very able deputy (when he's on his game!).

What do you mean by "not bringing any contacts in like [Kompany]"?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I certainly don't back his every move. I"ve stated several times that imo Dolan should pay more regularly.I have vigourlessly criticised him for the Burnley game, which seems to me to have had long-term consequences.

My post was about refuting the notion that he hasn't made mistakes.

But we are where we are and, but for that January transfer window disaster, I think we'd be a lot farther. Andd we can't put the blame on him for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Taking each of those in turn though

Since January he substituted Morton for Buckley which coincided with our good run. Buckley's injury has forced him to bring Morton back in. Are there any realistic alternatives?

Adam Wharton a possible, but other than that no

Adam Wharton was injured for a significant period of time, but even when fit he remains a young lad in his breakthrough season. Playing him 3x a week every week is a lot to ask.

Not sure he has sidelined Scott. Admittedly the Dingle away game was a bizarre decision but Scott was playing regularly until he got 2x injuries which kept him out and he's having to earn his place back in the side, which with Carter and Hyam is difficult.

The dingle gaffer has had bucket loads of cash and has loaned a load of players. If that's the policy we want to adopt then fine - it's worked for them - but I keep getting told about FFP and using our academy players. It's one or the other - if we want to emulate St Vincent then fine but get the chequebook out and people need to stop obsessing about academy lads and FFP rules because the dingles haven't followed either of those paths.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Since January he substituted Morton for Buckley which coincided with our good run. Buckley's injury has forced him to bring Morton back in. Are there any realistic alternatives?

Adam Wharton a possible, but other than that no

Adam Wharton was injured for a significant period of time, but even when fit he remains a young lad in his breakthrough season. Playing him 3x a week every week is a lot to ask.

Not sure he has sidelined Scott. Admittedly the Dingle away game was a bizarre decision but Scott was playing regularly until he got 2x injuries which kept him out and he's having to earn his place back in the side, which with Carter and Hyam is difficult.

The dingle gaffer has had bucket loads of cash and has loaned a load of players. If that's the policy we want to adopt then fine - it's worked for them - but I keep getting told about FFP and using our academy players. It's one or the other - if we want to emulate St Vincent then fine but get the chequebook out and people need to stop obsessing about academy lads and FFP rules because the dingles haven't followed either of those paths.

They also competently completed their transfers. 

In defence of Morton, who gets a ridiculous amount of stick on here given he's a 20 year old on loan, he's had to fill the role of an experienced and seasoned player because we literally have nobody else to do it. He needs to be played alongside more experienced professionals that he can learn from and can help him out when he's struggling. Not everyone thrives when just being thrown into the deep end.

Conveniently for the people in charge of the club it looks like we'll be staying in the Championship for yet another year. O'Brien would no doubt have been a huge boost to our chances but "oopsie dasies we fucked it up".

Coincidence? 

12 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

They also competently completed their transfers. 

In defence of Morton, who gets a ridiculous amount of stick on here given he's a 20 year old on loan, he's had to fill the role of an experienced and seasoned player because we literally have nobody else to do it. He needs to be played alongside more experienced professionals that he can learn from and can help him out when he's struggling. Not everyone thrives when just being thrown into the deep end.

Conveniently for the people in charge of the club it looks like we'll be staying in the Championship for yet another year. O'Brien would no doubt have been a huge boost to our chances but "oopsie dasies we fucked it up".

Coincidence? 

Had we brought in a good midfielder and centre forward or two we'd be challenging for the automatics. Waggott, Gregg and co have a lot to answer for and they obviously didn't anticipate the team being in the play off places all season. No ambition, no imagination and no clue.

• Like 5

I still don’t get the love for this guy having now sat through an entire season of his football at Ewood.

The football in my opinion is dire and I am amazed we are up in the playoffs given what I see most matches. Even at this point of the season the lads are arguing amongst themselves as they don’t know where to position or pass it to for most the match.

When the chips are down he has no ability to change the game leaving the subs way too late to affect the game or spur the lads in with a half time team talk.

If the club want to keep him they need to spend a fortune on players that can play his style over the summer as this lot can’t.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

I think you've forgotten that we played our best football earlier in the season with Bucko nowhere near the team.  The manager and his mate have failed to bring in quality midfielders and yesterday, Preston at home and Sheffield away encapsulated it all.

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think you've forgotten that we played our best football earlier in the season with Bucko nowhere near the team.  The manager and his mate have failed to bring in quality midfielders and yesterday, Preston at home and Sheffield away encapsulated it all.

I don't think Tomasson can be blamed for the abominable January window. That lies at the door of Saint Gregg who accepted total responsibility for the mess (has he given us chapter and verse yet as promised, I don't mean to the FF neither). There has already been one sacrificial lamb and I have heard another is working his notice but the main man is still swanning around. I believed at the time the failure to bring in the correct players would come back and haunt us and still do.

• Like 6

We’ve won more games than anyone outside the top two and Boro, we’ve spent pretty much the entire season in the top 6.

But yeah these lads can’t play his way, it’s dire football, the fella can’t change a game, use subs, give instruction to the players or a team talk. Yet here we are in mid April.

I find it ‘amazing’ too considering what he has to work with on and off the pitch.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Coincidence? 

Definitely not a coincidence 

I've lost count of the times we've heard stories and claims of what we were intending or trying to do but for a range of increasingly bizarre reasons failed.

January 2022 the excuse they were putting out, randomly, was that there was a budget of several million pounds to recruit but some unfathomable reason the manager turned down the opportunity when the PL was within reach.

January 2023 the excuse they want us to fall for is a combination of some sort of Football League conspiracy crossed with a staff member (still employed) 'forgetting' to complete the correct paperwork.

End result both times? Falling short, inadequate recruitment but most conveniently of all serious money not spent and importantly nothing at all to do with our owners or their underlings

Win win if you are one of them, like Waggott who is measured on the balance sheet and not team performance.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

I really don't get all this talk of us 'bottling it'. It's nonsense.

What we have is a limited set of players, managed by a bloke with his own limitations, who I think has done rather well considering what he's working with.

Take the game yesterday as an example. Yes, we were poor on the whole, but there wasn't that much between the two teams other than two extremely well taken goals. In contrast, our finishing was dire, because our finishers are dire.

It's not a case of 'bottling it', it's more a case of there being, for now, better teams and managers than what we have.

• Like 1

I think the squad deficiencies are the main factor, but the annual tail off at the business end of the season and the tangible lack of ability to recover from losing positions do suggest a mentality issue.

We lack one or two battle hardened leaders who would help the younger players.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, martonrover said:

I think the squad deficiencies are the main factor, but the annual tail off at the business end of the season and the tangible lack of ability to recover from losing positions do suggest a mentality issue.

We lack one or two battle hardened leaders who would help the younger players.

There’s a cancer at the heart of Blackburn Rovers and we all know what it is. Under the current ownership we will never thrive no matter who is managing whatever players we have out on the pitch. It’s as simple as that for me.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Thomas for Hedges I don't understand. Brereton-Diaz for Dolan I can - even when he's drifted out of games he can still bag you a goal.

Morton I'll never understand, but my hope is this tough love saga will make A. Wharton a much better player (hopefully for us!). 

Dolan, BBD or Gallagher is Hobson’s choice ! None of them have a real striker’s instinct to be in right place at the right time and the clinical ability needed to plunder the goals required.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s a cancer at the heart of Blackburn Rovers and we all know what it is. Under the current ownership we will never thrive no matter who is managing whatever players we have out on the pitch. It’s as simple as that for me.

I largely agree, but other clubs with dodgy owners have succeeded to some extent since Venkys took over.

The “project” mentality is definitely holding us back.

Player development and adding value take precedence over the desire for promotion.

Ironic, given we’ve ended up giving players away at the end of their contracts.

Broughton seems to have got to grips with that at least, but we need a few ready made players brought in to become serious challengers ,and that appears unlikely.

Whilst JDT isn’t perfect, I do think he could succeed if he was allowed to make a few decent signings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I don't think Tomasson can be blamed for the abominable January window. That lies at the door of Saint Gregg who accepted total responsibility for the mess (has he given us chapter and verse yet as promised, I don't mean to the FF neither). There has already been one sacrificial lamb and I have heard another is working his notice but the main man is still swanning around. I believed at the time the failure to bring in the correct players would come back and haunt us and still do.

The day after the Arbitrator’s judgement, which clearly exposed what a monumental cock-up it was, I asked the question as to when Gregg would be providing the promised post appeal interview. In my view, criminal he hasn’t done what he undertook to do and is clearly getting away with it, Scot free. Bloody shameful

• Like 3

1 minute ago, martonrover said:

I largely agree, but other clubs with dodgy owners have succeeded to some extent since Venkys took over.

The “project” mentality is definitely holding us back.

Player development and adding value take precedence over the desire for promotion.

Ironic, given we’ve ended up giving players away at the end of their contracts.

Broughton seems to have got to grips with that at least, but we need a few ready made players brought in to become serious challengers ,and that appears unlikely.

Whilst JDT isn’t perfect, I do think he could succeed if he was allowed to make a few decent signings.

I’m not knocking the current manager in particular, I just think even if we got Pep in he would struggle. We really need somebody who can make a silk purse out of a sows ear. We had our chance and we blew it. We’ll find out just how badly on Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Definitely not a coincidence 

I've lost count of the times we've heard stories and claims of what we were intending or trying to do but for a range of increasingly bizarre reasons failed.

January 2022 the excuse they were putting out, randomly, was that there was a budget of several million pounds to recruit but some unfathomable reason the manager turned down the opportunity when the PL was within reach.

January 2023 the excuse they want us to fall for is a combination of some sort of Football League conspiracy crossed with a staff member (still employed) 'forgetting' to complete the correct paperwork.

End result both times? Falling short, inadequate recruitment but most conveniently of all serious money not spent and importantly nothing at all to do with our owners or their underlings

Win win if you are one of them, like Waggott who is measured on the balance sheet and not team performance.

There are far easier ways not to sign someone than making your club a national laughing stock by way of incompetence. O’Brien had done interviews / phot shoot and signed, extreme incompetence not malice aforethought.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I really don't get all this talk of us 'bottling it'. It's nonsense.

What we have is a limited set of players, managed by a bloke with his own limitations, who I think has done rather well considering what he's working with.

Take the game yesterday as an example. Yes, we were poor on the whole, but there wasn't that much between the two teams other than two extremely well taken goals. In contrast, our finishing was dire, because our finishers are dire.

It's not a case of 'bottling it', it's more a case of there being, for now, better teams and managers than what we have.

Maybe your right about yesterday but it is the Easter track record, Sheffield Wednesday and Yeovil under Bowyer and who can forget the capitulation last year at London Road and then the Stoke defeat at Ewood.

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I'm still angry that Mowbray turned down a sizable transfer kitty when we were within reach of the top 2. That bloke was the biggest charlatan this club has appointed 

Hmm, might just be some other bloke in front of him…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2