BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

At least kean was up front with his charlatan-ness. Mowbray was a sneaky rat

Mowbray under achieved here, but let’s not re write history. Mowbray’s sneakiness isn’t in the same solar system as Kean’s sneakiness in hoodwinking football fans in general.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I think the squad deficiencies are the main factor, but the annual tail off at the business end of the season and the tangible lack of ability to recover from losing positions do suggest a mentality issue.

We lack one or two battle hardened leaders who would help the younger players.

One point all season, after going behind shouts out mentality / back-bone / resilience deficiency, in spades.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

This place, everyone was in a panic about him being poached about *checks notes* a week ago.

I wasn't one of them ...After the Burnley game away , I would have sacked him !

Edited by Waggy76

13 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

One point all season, after going behind shouts out mentality / back-bone / resilience deficiency, in spades.

We play a tactic that works well if the opposition attack us. The problem is we play the same tactic when the opposition don't need to attack us, so it doesn't work.

In the final analysis, too many of our squad are average Championship or top end League 1 players in terms of their ability. I'm thinking Pears, JRC, Pickering, Travis, Hedges, Szmodics , Gallagher, Dolan. In fact hardly any of the players currently available could be considered top end Championship standard. 

It's a puzzle how we have remained so high in the division all season. The team yesterday played like total strangers, unable to complete simple passes to one another. Gallagher has regressed alarmingly.

I would go back to basics from now on, with 

KaminskI

JRC  Carter Hyam Brittain

Travis Wharton

Thomas Szmodics Dolan

Brereton

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

And a startling lack of plan B or any idea how to make in game changes to swing it around, that's the biggest failing of JDT and his staff this season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

I don't think Tomasson can be blamed for the abominable January window. That lies at the door of Saint Gregg who accepted total responsibility for the mess (has he given us chapter and verse yet as promised, I don't mean to the FF neither).

2 windows.

Everyone on here could see the issues, no goals and a very weak midfield.  2nd in the league and none of those issues addressed, absolute farce is my book as we could all see yesterday from first 10 mins.  What's JDT been doing the last few years, he's a nice guy, must have made some contacts...

Thomas is a good player, can't play on Monday and gets 10 mins against Norwich...very questionable decision...that's on JDT

1 hour ago, Penwortham Blue said:

The day after the Arbitrator’s judgement, which clearly exposed what a monumental cock-up it was, I asked the question as to when Gregg would be providing the promised post appeal interview. In my view, criminal he hasn’t done what he undertook to do and is clearly getting away with it, Scot free. Bloody shameful

I think there is an element to this which sums up our executive management. When they had Supporters Consultation meetings Waggott et all were given a hard time simply from the searching questions that were asked, they were out on the spot and couldn't hide. There was no agenda from the fans, they just wanted answers. Waggott was uncomfortable with this and when Covid came and went he decided to do away with them using the FF to comply with the EFL's rule to hold regular supporter meetings. No disrespect but he gets such an easy ride in these so he has now cast these in stone to satisfy the EFL. Broughton was at the last FF and gave excuses for the awful January window without (according to the minutes) any testing questions. He should have done a phone in or similar so the questions that really matter could be put to him. I wonder if Waggott advised him what to do?

In reality the FF is *largely* (not exclusively) packed full of fans who’ve been attending the meetings for donkey’s years and that see support as slavishly toeing the club line, which is fine if the most pressing issue is the price of a pie or Dolan postcards. It is, however, not the place for a forensic examination of club officials… which Swag et al know too well, so this arrangement suits them down to the ground.

• Like 5

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

2 windows.

Everyone on here could see the issues, no goals and a very weak midfield.  2nd in the league and none of those issues addressed, absolute farce is my book as we could all see yesterday from first 10 mins.  What's JDT been doing the last few years, he's a nice guy, must have made some contacts...

Thomas is a good player, can't play on Monday and gets 10 mins against Norwich...very questionable decision...that's on JDT

I agree with your second sentence and it would have been interesting to hear Tomasson's rationale but he wasn't asked the question. I recall the first interview with Tomasson after the January window when he was asked about O'Brien. He said something like "what about a striker". He knew what he wanted, it was the recruitment team that let him and us down.

• Like 3

Revealed: Blackburn Rovers' dismal record when conceding first goal | Lancashire Telegraph

'When Liam Gibbs put Norwich ahead in the 11th minute, racing clear to fire beyond Aynsley Pears, it was the 17th time in which Rovers have conceded first. They have gone on to lose all but one of those matches. Not only that, they have scored just one equaliser, that being Ben Brereton’s free-kick that earned Rovers a point at West Bromwich Albion in February. Unsurprisingly, it is the worst record out of all of the 92 teams across the Premier League and EFL'

It's a shocking stat, as other have said. And because we create so few chances the opportunities to equalise are reduced. We're 22nd in the table for shots per game with 9.6.

image.png.d13a972413e1cd1f95abc435776db1ff.png

I think we're a very good counter-attacking team, and if the opposition want to fanny about with it at the back we can press effectively like we did at Leicester, for example. But when the onus is on us to create against a team that is just sat in neutral gear we are absolute dogshit. I think we've improved slightly but we need to get a lot better for next season.

I don't think JDT has been helped by the people doing the transfers (not signing a decent striker in two windows is very poor). 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, roverblue said:

I still don’t get the love for this guy having now sat through an entire season of his football at Ewood.

The football in my opinion is dire and I am amazed we are up in the playoffs given what I see most matches. Even at this point of the season the lads are arguing amongst themselves as they don’t know where to position or pass it to for most the match.

When the chips are down he has no ability to change the game leaving the subs way too late to affect the game or spur the lads in with a half time team talk.

If the club want to keep him they need to spend a fortune on players that can play his style over the summer as this lot can’t.

I don't understand why you haven't got a better opinion of JDT cos I think he has produced results and have us top 6 most of the season and played some very good football at times and 2 good cup runs. Yes when we slow the tempo down and lack of movement we look awful but its time the players took the responsible for the on pitch performance cos they know that wasn't good enough yesterday. I read an article on the athletic website by Alan Shearer who was talking about Players taking responsible for on the pitch performances instead of using excuses. I think our players should accept their responsibilities for yesterday and come back much improved and play much better. I can accept defeat if we played well and got beat by the better team but we didn't performed well enough yesterday

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

January 2023 the excuse they want us to fall for is a combination of some sort of Football League conspiracy crossed with a staff member (still employed) 'forgetting' to complete the correct paperwork.

The paperwork the EFL requested wasn't needed as that situation would never happened. That's isn't Rovers fault.

1 hour ago, Penwortham Blue said:

The day after the Arbitrator’s judgement, which clearly exposed what a monumental cock-up it was, I asked the question as to when Gregg would be providing the promised post appeal interview. In my view, criminal he hasn’t done what he undertook to do and is clearly getting away with it, Scot free. Bloody shameful

Gregg Broughton did give more detail and here is the article. Blackburn Rovers DoF goes into detail over failed Lewis O'Brien move | Lancashire Telegraph

29 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I wasn't one of them ...After the Burnley game away , I would have sacked him !

Sacking JDT who has had in promotion and playoff places most of the season is totally clueless and no surprised to see you back here now saying this. The Burnley game is one game and it seems to matters more that one game result then the entire season results which has where we are in the league. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think our players should accept their responsibilities for yesterday and come back much improved and play much better.

I'm not sure the players are particularly suited to the way JDT wants to play, especially the midfield and forwards. Or rather, some of them aren't good enough to play the way he wants to play. 

Good article in Lancslive the other day about how our full backs play like Man City's full backs, and how that means the CM's get dragged wide on to the touchline, and the FB's take their place in the middle of the park. It's a complicated system even for City and one mistake and the ball's in our own net cos everyone is out of position. 

All things considered, JDT had done well this season. The good thing is there are lots of players he can replace with better so hopefully next season we improve again. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

All things considered, JDT had done well this season. The good thing is there are lots of players he can replace with better so hopefully next season we improve again. 

I agree with the first part.

Unfortunately, the second part isn't up to JDT. I've no doubt he knows what is needed, but the hierachy will be the problem.

5 hours ago, roverblue said:

I still don’t get the love for this guy having now sat through an entire season of his football at Ewood.

The football in my opinion is dire and I am amazed we are up in the playoffs given what I see most matches. Even at this point of the season the lads are arguing amongst themselves as they don’t know where to position or pass it to for most the match.

When the chips are down he has no ability to change the game leaving the subs way too late to affect the game or spur the lads in with a half time team talk.

If the club want to keep him they need to spend a fortune on players that can play his style over the summer as this lot can’t.

Because he's worked wonders with a shit squad?

• Like 7