BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 22-23

12 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Notts Forest are properly in the mire.

I'd love it if they went down.

My current preference is:-

West Ham / Everton / Leeds / Bournemouth / Forest / Southampton in that order.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

On 04/04/2023 at 12:43, philipl said:

Sky bigging up Chelsea v Liverpool tonight when it is an end of season mid table clash and arguably the least interesting of the 4 games tonight.

It was an awful game. It should not have been a surprise though. It was the 6th draw they have in a row (excluding penalties), and the 4th straight without a goal (although the League Cup final last year was a cracker of a game).

Arguably the 2 draws against Chelsea cost Liverpool the league in 2021-22, especially the 2-2 at Stamford Bridge. Liverpool were 2-0 up before Kovacic scored a beauty to equalise. then they stopped trying to attack. Last night had nothing.

Both teams need a reboot. I'm not sure if this will help Chelsea; Sky Sports; Lampard back as caretaker.

Chelsea appointing Lampard as interim manager till end of the season makes sense to me. Know the club, some of players and still fan favourite there. Allow the owners and Sporting Directors time to bring in a new manager in the summer. 

If Lampard does well there then it's might cause an issue especially if they win the champions league 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chelsea appointing Lampard as interim manager till end of the season makes sense to me. Know the club, some of players and still fan favourite there. Allow the owners and Sporting Directors time to bring in a new manager in the summer. 

If Lampard does well there then it's might cause an issue especially if they win the champions league 

You are sticking to defending Lampard even now? 

Knows the club? The same club he was sacked at due to poor performance? Is a fan favourite, why does that matter? Why not get Gianfranco Zola, John Terry or Dennis Wise if that is the case?

Did you read the quotes from Michael Keane, that Lampard wouldn't even tell Keane how he could improve, instead saying that he should know what he is doing by now? Proper man management.

Lampard is not a very good manager, that is the top and bottom of it and yet still his former playing career seemingly is working wonders with a naive owner desperate to appease the fans in a misguided way. Even keeping Potter until the summer would have been wiser than this.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You are sticking to defending Lampard even now? 

I haven't defending Lampard tho but point out when this appointment makes sense

Knows the club? The same club he was sacked at due to poor performance? Is a fan favourite, why does that matter? Why not get Gianfranco Zola, John Terry or Dennis Wise if that is the case?

Different owner with different way of running the club. 

Gets the fans back onside and something they could unite behind until end of the season. 

Wise is president of Italian club Como. 

Did you read the quotes from Michael Keane, that Lampard wouldn't even tell Keane how he could improve, instead saying that he should know what he is doing by now? Proper man management.

No I didn't read his quotes

Lampard is not a very good manager, that is the top and bottom of it and yet still his former playing career seemingly is working wonders with a naive owner desperate to appease the fans in a misguided way. Even keeping Potter until the summer would have been wiser than this.

Well that's your opinion and others will agree with you or not

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I haven't defending Lampard tho but point out when this appointment makes sense

Different owner with different way of running the club. 

Gets the fans back onside and something they could unite behind until end of the season. 

Wise is president of Italian club Como. 

No I didn't read his quotes

Well that's your opinion and others will agree with you or not

This "knowing the club" thing is a line often trotted out but its never particularly logical.

Henning Berg knows our club. Colin Hendry knows our club. David Dunn knows our club. You wouldn't take any of them here if Tomasson left. You would naturally prioritise someone who is good at managing a football club and not someone who "knows the club."

You say get the fans onside but why do you think that the Chelsea fans who have been used to success be content with a manager coming in even short term who was sacked within the last couple of years, has since been sacked by Everton for poor performance and has never improved a club simply because he was a great player for them?

Entitled Lampard gets another top gig. It seems like a lazy appointment by the new Chelsea owners who haven't exactly covered themselves in glory to date.

I think Southampton could drop into League One in a reversal of their rapid rise a few years ago. Big wages, poor ownership and disenchantment amongst the fans is never a good combination to regroup and challenge for promotion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Newcastle were very good tonight. The team understands their roles and Howe has done excellent job there. West Ham's defending was awful tonight. WHU fans aren't happy tonight with them ringing in to TalkSPORT 10pm show

We were watching a different game.

Newcastle were very sloppy in the first half and less charitable opponents would have taken advantage. 

The first 4 goals had ribbons and score me on them.

Pope was only punished for one of his three howlers.

• Like 1

Cracking idea by Chelsea to rehire a guy they sacked who wasn't good enough. 

And who had since been sacked by Everton for not being good enough. 

And whose sole other experience is doing no better or worse then the other Derby managers of that period. 

Potter on paper had a much more successful managerial career than Lampard, so you have to see it as an utter head scratchers. 

• Like 2

Lampard is a pretty poor manager full stop. He almost definitely won't get them into a European place, improve the players or do much better than Potter. He is the next generation of Steve Bruce/Alan Pardew/Steve McClaren who just live on how well known they are whilst screwing up job after job. Mediocre at Derby and Chelsea, awful at Everton yet gets jobs because he says the right things and was a fantastic player.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Southampton would walk back up? Why? Norwich and Watford haven’t.

A number of reasons why.

A shed full of cash including player sales, parachute payments and crowds of 30k each game.

A real bunch of fabulous young players who will walk the Championship such as Armstrong A, Tella as two very good examples.

An academy that continues to excel (much like ours).

Neither of the teams you mention above have such a set of circumstances and indeed, I am not sure many clubs who have been relegated in recent years would compare either.

Norwich have 27k sell outs every week in the Championship, parachute payments and player sales.

Southampton are not a club that has promotion sewn up, they are unstable off the pitch with a conveyor belt of sacked managers. The likes of Tella will even be there, will they?

‘Not many relegated clubs would compare’? Get out of it. They will have a good chance, of course, all parachute clubs do, but to write off an automatic place already to a club like Southampton, massive hyperbole.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, RoverDom said:

There's nothing caretaker about this appointment. Frank will want it long term and I suspect the new owner would have him long term if he performs between now and the end of the season. This is a trial period.

Sounds more like Nagelsmann isn't touching another job until he's received his full payout. I believe that a lot of times in managers' contracts there is a clause that states should they manage another team at any point during the same season (regardless of reason) they are only entitled to X payout instead of Y.