BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield United (a) - 20/8/22

27 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

People are talking Sheff Utd up like they're 2009 Barcelona.

Hell fire Wednesday night hasn't half changed peoples attitudes. Yes I get it was bad, do we really expect the same tomorrow?

There's a good chance that the players burned themselves out against WBA in that freak heat. Perhaps that's why Dolan and Vale started. It was a very off colour performance by anyone's standards, the players just seemed to react to everything in slow motion.

Fingers crossed it was a blip rather than a glimpse of things to come.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, booth said:

There's a good chance that the players burned themselves out against WBA in that freak heat. Perhaps that's why Dolan and Vale started. It was a very off colour performance by anyone's standards, the players just seemed to react to everything in slow motion.

Tell ‘em they’re tired and they’ll play like they’re tired. No excuses.

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

must have ***** them up playing in that heat in a high tempo game though,west brom were equally terrible on wednesday as well

Exactly, it's not just a case of being tired. High tempo in that heat can't have been healthy for the brain. They looked slow to react whenever a ball was kicked. That WBA game had to have a short term effect and I wouldn't be surprised if that's why JDT changed things a bit.

58 minutes ago, booth said:

I suspect JDT and team have sat down and analysed every kick on Wednesday night, seems to have a real attention to detail. 

6 hours ago, rovers11 said:

I fear another drubbing here. Sheff Utd are one of the best teams in the league and will win the majority of their home games. 

Vale and Dolan will hopefully be nowhere near the starting 11 for a while, both are poor players. I'm still not convinced by the false 9 play despite it working in the first 4 games. Interested to see how JDT changes it tomorrow after a horror show at Reading. Five at the back with Pickering tucking in and Edun playing at LB?

What False 9 play?

Szmodics is playing as an AMC. We're currently playing 4-2-3-1 (with Hedges being the 1). If we get enough CBs in we might play 3-4-3 at some point too. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Tell ‘em they’re tired and they’ll play like they’re tired. No excuses.

I think it's fair, personally. I'm a reasonably fit guy and I was exhausted just watching in that heat even with 2L water bottle next to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Ah man I didn't realise it was Saturday, I thought the game was on Sunday. 

2 days rest between matches is brutal. We're going to run out the kids against Bradford midweek. 

Yes, this is bad timing, against a tough team, at a tough venue. 

We are beat up, and outright missing a piece or two to the puzzle. If our lads give a good effort, and still lose, I’m not cursing Tomasson, griping, or crying in my beer afterwards. 

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

I think it's fair, personally. I'm a reasonably fit guy and I was exhausted just watching in that heat even with 2L water bottle next to me.

That’s not the point Mike. It was obviously knackering. You can’t let the players get that in their heads though. 

You’re walking down the street and you meet an old friend. He says “ What’s up Mike, you don’t look too good ? “ 

How do you feel at that moment ?

I used to know the chief exec at my local rugby league club, he described part of his job as - “ Making sure the buggers haven’t got a reason to lose “.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, booth said:

Exactly, it's not just a case of being tired. High tempo in that heat can't have been healthy for the brain. They looked slow to react whenever a ball was kicked. That WBA game had to have a short term effect and I wouldn't be surprised if that's why JDT changed things a bit.

You might be right but today's opponents also played in the heat on Sunday and drew at Middlesbrough. They too played on Wednesday and beat Sunderland. 

I've just read that Billy Sharp is injured which gives me a little but of hope.

There’s no doubt Utd will go in hard and try to knock us off our stride. I’m not sure we have the players to match their physicality or, if things are not going their way, the shithousery of the likes of McBurnie. We will need to be firing on all cylinders and have a strong referee if we are going to win this one. COYB

12 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

There’s no doubt Utd will go in hard and try to knock us off our stride. I’m not sure we have the players to match their physicality or, if things are not going their way, the shithousery of the likes of McBurnie. We will need to be firing on all cylinders and have a strong referee if we are going to win this one. COYB

100%.

I fear a bashing today, teams have worked out that our kryptonite is physicality.

38 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

One thing's for sure, we can't be starting Phillips, Pickering or Szmodics or we will lose.

If you are not going to start Phillips or Pickering, who is going to play center-half with Ayala ?

It might be a better plan to play Phillips, Ayala and Pickering, at the back, in a three. Britten and Edun as wing-backs.

Edited by rigger

59 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Hopefully the last few days of training consisted of the players being beaten with sticks to toughen them up.

I'd say they probably needed a good rest and a good tactical plan for today above all else.

Get the sticks out on Monday if they are abysmal again !