BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 3/9/22

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Can't see any comments about it, so gonna ask. Did nobody else hear a whistle before their third goal was struck? Everyone I was with, and people around me in the BBE did. Doesn't seem to be any mention of it but the whistle stops the game. Bristol fans didn't fully celebrate either at first so I assumed they heard it. Was it from the stands or something?

I heard it, and I was in the JW lower. The players all thought it had been disallowed and so did the City players...and then suddenly it was given. Very odd. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

For how long will any poor performance in the Tomasson reign be blamed back on Mowbray?

Tomasson got his team wrong and his subs wrong. He had his "main striker target" up front and he was crap. He had a centre back he signed this week on the bench when we needed him, had Mowbray mentioned the "bedding him in" rhetoric he would have somewhat justifiably been criticised.

Mowbray was given plenty of time to bed in. And then some. It's clear jdt needs to clear out alot of Mowbray's garbage.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

And Jack Vale, why he keeps getting minutes under a manager who had such a great history as a striker himself is scandalous, he has literally nothing good to his game, no pace, no strength, technically poor, summed up by that shot at the end. Why is Markanday behind him?!

To be honest there's not much to choose from other than Hirst and Vale.

Isn't Markanday injured?

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I heard it, and I was in the JW lower. The players all thought it had been disallowed and so did the City players...and then suddenly it was given. Very odd. 

I thought the ref was blowing up for a free kick.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

For how long will any poor performance in the Tomasson reign be blamed back on Mowbray?

Tomasson got his team wrong and his subs wrong. He had his "main striker target" up front and he was crap. He had a centre back he signed this week on the bench when we needed him, had Mowbray mentioned the "bedding him in" rhetoric he would have somewhat justifiably been criticised.

I thought Hirst showed promise today - squared two balls that should have been scored from. Obviously he snatched at the one chance he got himself. It'll take time for his teammates to understand the runs he makes - he very much looked like a guy who met his new teammates on Thursday.

The CB he signed during the week I think has been signed to play LB. He'll eventually displace Pickering if he's got anything about him (playing through all the England age groups suggests he does). 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just add that game to the very, very, very long list of games were we’ve lost after going behind. That needs to change asap.

ive never known a team where the first goal of the game matters more than it does to us,score first we dont lose,go behind first and we dont win

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Mowbray was given plenty of time to bed in. And then some. It's clear jdt needs to clear out alot of Mowbray's garbage.  

I'm not saying that he doesn't get time to bed in but equally when Tomasson makes poor team sections, employs flawed tactics, makes illogical substitutions and signings under his watch struggle then he gets criticism.

People cannot quit the habit of criticising Mowbray when poor decisions lead to a poor performance and a defeat.

4 minutes ago, booth said:

To be honest there's not much to choose from other than Hirst and Vale.

Isn't Markanday injured?

Not that I am aware of but I may be wrong.

Even so, Vale is a pointless sub, may as well keep Hirst on for the 90.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I agree. They were strong, well organised, and had a bit of nous. They look like playoff material. Rovers looked disjointed. Expecting Morton and Wharton to run the midfield is a tough one.

It may have all been different if Hedges ball to the face went in. 

I should stop watching games. It's now 1 win in about 10 for me.

They won't make the Playoffs.

They're a big, physical (which is never pulled up), organised side that has some pace upfront and is good at set pieces.

They hit us with two sucker-punches today - JDT will be disappointed with that.

17 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They hit us with two sucker-punches today - JDT will be disappointed with that.

Two sucker punches. Lol.

Yeah, the first half and the second half.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, booth said:

If anyone thinks that Hirst was genuinely JDT's first choice centre forward then I've got a massive box of snake oil to sell you.

It was the clubs first choice.

His first choice was Colak, we all know that. Broughton is just playing the game with that comment.

I thought Hirst looked like a good player today, just needs some time to bed in. He provides us something different upfront. 

Just got back from the game and I am disappointed with the result and performances today. 

we started the game well and should have scored in the opening 5 minutes with Dack and Hedges shots, but Bristol City came in the game and created a few good chances. Rovers just couldn't get going and we lack tempo and bite today in the first half. Hirst had a great chance to scored but didn't. Bristol City took a deserved lead after catching us on the counter. 

Second half we made 2 changes and started ok but then Bristol City caught us on the counter again with another goal. Dolan scored and it was good ball by Edun to Dolan who scored the goal. Good finish by him. Then we again shot ourselves by conceded again. Rovers kept going and scored again from Good pass by Dolan and Brereton-Diaz did the rest. Shamed we did keep at 2-1 for more than we did cos it could have different game. 

Hirst had a decent game with a couple of good runs, put himself about and had a great chance to score. I was surprised he was taken off when he was, and I would have taken Adam Wharton off for Vale and gone 2 up front with Buckley and Morton in centre midfield. 

Vale, Edun Dolan and Buckley had an impacted on the game. Dolan scored a goal and assist today. Vale's movement and link up play helped the team. Buckley can spot a pass. Edun won the ball back and set Dolan up for his goal. 

I thought Hyam shown why we signed despite us conceding 3 and losing. 

Bristol City front 3 used their clever movement and runs to exposed our back 4 and get down the side/gap between the Full back and centre back. They deserved the win. 

Rovers kept going and fighting to the last minute and not the result I wanted but we moved to the next game and lets go and beat Wigan next Saturday. Onwards and upwards. JDT's Blue and White Army 🔵

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What about the games when it didn’t work?

Was it Dolan fault it didn't or down to the head coach then? 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I'm not saying that he doesn't get time to bed in but equally when Tomasson makes poor team sections, employs flawed tactics, makes illogical substitutions and signings under his watch struggle then he gets criticism.

People cannot quit the habit of criticising Mowbray when poor decisions lead to a poor performance and a defeat.

Not that I am aware of but I may be wrong.

Even so, Vale is a pointless sub, may as well keep Hirst on for the 90.

I was absolutely baffled by the Hurst sub. He looked our main threat. 

Bang on about Mowbray too- he’s long gone, so is about half the team from last season too. 

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I thought Hirst showed promise today - squared two balls that should have been scored from. Obviously he snatched at the one chance he got himself. It'll take time for his teammates to understand the runs he makes - he very much looked like a guy who met his new teammates on Thursday.

The CB he signed during the week I think has been signed to play LB. He'll eventually displace Pickering if he's got anything about him (playing through all the England age groups suggests he does). 

Hirst looks raw and weedy and doesn't seem like a capable focal point, he struggled to bring players into play and had a lot of similarities to Gallagher, quite quick, runs the channels, didn't hold it up, loose touch, didn't link play.

That may be the case on Mola but he is very capable at centre back according to quotes this week so surely him there and Carter at right back is better than having Travis there.

I get the fact that it isn't ideal but had Mowbray declined to use a new centre back both initially and then to change things on accordance of him needing to settle in then he would have been lambasted.

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Hirst was blowing out of his arse when he came off. He's probs not played much this season. 

There are alternative solutions to playing Vale there who couldn't score in non league and is so far off the level.

Markanday if fit should have been on the bench ahead of him. Alternatively, Hedges should have been left on knowing that Hirst wouldn't last and either he or Dolan could go centrally. Dack should have been left on too.

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I totally there I think Hirst showed promise and will only get better as he trained and plays with his teammates.