BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I liked the last best ! Could have done with that clip being longer and more time spent on each goal.

The point was to show his goals in the same number of seconds as there were goals scored though. I think there's a clip elsewhere of all his goals this season with a bit more time spent on them.

What a finisher!

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24355889.middlesbrough-example-may-offer-hint-sam-szmodics-future/

LT claim Galatasaray's reported interest is real.

Personally I think Ipswich are the most likely destination. We like to get rimmed off freshly promoted teams who haven't been heavyweights for a long time (or ever in Luton's case) and Ipswich have already been sniffing around us this season, as Travis and Gallagher show. Given no real re-sale value, his transfer profile suits a side who can afford him with freshly acquired Prem money to boost a low wage squad, and know they are likely to come back down to this level, at which Szmodics is a monster. If he shows his worth in the Prem he could keep them up or earn a move for a similar or better fee, or they come down and he helps them make a fist of going back up. If they're interested I think that's where he will probably end up.

My guess at the moment would be Leeds.

Not convinced a premier league team comes in for him (maybe Ipswich), but a decent pay rise, title favourites and not having to move house would be enough to tempt him.

7 minutes ago, superniko said:

My guess at the moment would be Leeds.

Not convinced a premier league team comes in for him (maybe Ipswich), but a decent pay rise, title favourites and not having to move house would be enough to tempt him.

Can Leeds afford to buy him with £190 million owing in transfer fees?

39 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24355889.middlesbrough-example-may-offer-hint-sam-szmodics-future/

Personally I think Ipswich are the most likely destination. We like to get rimmed off freshly promoted teams who haven't been heavyweights for a long time (or ever in Luton's case) and Ipswich have already been sniffing around us this season, as Travis and Gallagher show. Given no real re-sale value, his transfer profile suits a side who can afford him with freshly acquired Prem money to boost a low wage squad, and know they are likely to come back down to this level, at which Szmodics is a monster. If he shows his worth in the Prem he could keep them up or earn a move for a similar or better fee, or they come down and he helps them make a fist of going back up. If they're interested I think that's where he will probably end up.

Well, if you are interest then pay the 15m asking price)(would my asking price would be) or go away

8 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Leeds will do a fire sale this summer with Summerville, Gnonto, etc all leaving plus any of their loan players. Its a mess there

35 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

From what I read that's a bit of a clickbait headline to it. Doesn't include Adams and Sinisterra fees and only a certain amount is due this year (i've not gone into too much detail into it to be honest though).

Then they have plenty of other assets to sell (I'd imagine some of Summerville, Gnotto, Rutter will be off). 

Just signed a ridiculous commercial deal with Red Bull (though not sure how much of that can go towards FFP and into transfers).

Overall, they'll definitely be able to spend this year, and we'll be selling Szmodics well under our valuation (see Adam Wharton). I wouldn't be surprised if £8m got you to the table with Waggott.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well, if you are interest then pay the 15m asking price)(would my asking price would be) or go away

Leeds will do a fire sale this summer with Summerville, Gnonto, etc all leaving plus any of their loan players. Its a mess there

It really isn't that bad of a mess. They owe something £73m this year and that doesn't include Adams and Sinisterra, so around £30m which they'll get + more for Summerville.

Add to the fact they have Gnonto + Rutter they have plenty of assets, there will not be anywhere near a firesale.

They've also just signed a £200m deal with Red Bull over 3 years. Compare that to our lot who just look for the nearest company down the road. 49ers pretty much own the club now (I think) and will finance anything they need without looking.

Likewise, do you think they'll be selling Archie Gray to the 1st bidder like we did with Wharton?

There's one place where it's a mess, and it's Ewood Park.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Galatasaray can offer champions league football but with a very young family be a big upheaval 

Galatasaray would be interesting. Maybe he could learn from Gyokeres who left the Championship to have a stellar season abroad and will likely get another big move now.

Szmodics might be put off though that this will be his last big contract at 29, so might want to stay local like you say.

30 minutes ago, superniko said:

Just signed a ridiculous commercial deal with Red Bull (though not sure how much of that can go towards FFP and into transfers).

Unless the rules have changed, or Red Bull are owners of the club, I believe it should all help with FFP.

If I were betting on it I would say that Szmodics will still be playing for us when this window closes.

It's unfortunate for him, but he's just a little too old to attract serious interest - unless we are desperate enough to sell at a relatively low price (5-10m).

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Unless the rules have changed, or Red Bull are owners of the club, I believe it should all help with FFP.

I think it’s a minority holding? Not 100% sure though and it probably muddies the water.

What I can imagine happening is RB Leipzig and all the others sign players (let’s say Kalvin Phillips), pay him his high wages, then loan him to Leeds.

Basically what Watford were doing with Udinese a few years back. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

If I were betting on it I would say that Szmodics will still be playing for us when this window closes.

It's unfortunate for him, but he's just a little too old to attract serious interest - unless we are desperate enough to sell at a relatively low price (5-10m).

We are desperate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

If Szmodics does leave, I don't think he will be as big a loss as Kaminski or Wharton.

If we sold Szmodic last January instead of Wharton we would have been relegated.

Wharton in my opinion is far more talented but he was no way near as important a player as Szmodic was last season 

Szmodic will be a huge loss

• Like 6

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

The promoted sides and the relegated sides do seem to be perhaps the most likely, I wonder if Luton might want him if its financially possible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, superniko said:

From what I read that's a bit of a clickbait headline to it. Doesn't include Adams and Sinisterra fees and only a certain amount is due this year (i've not gone into too much detail into it to be honest though).

Then they have plenty of other assets to sell (I'd imagine some of Summerville, Gnotto, Rutter will be off). 

Overall, they'll definitely be able to spend this year, and we'll be selling Szmodics well under our valuation (see Adam Wharton). I wouldn't be surprised if £8m got you to the table with Waggott.

It will be half that amount.

12 hours ago, rigger said:

If Szmodics does leave, I don't think he will be as big a loss as Kaminski or Wharton.

He scored or assisted more than half our goals.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, islander200 said:

If we sold Szmodic last January instead of Wharton we would have been relegated.

Wharton in my opinion is far more talented but he was no way near as important a player as Szmodic was last season 

Szmodic will be a huge loss

I am talking about if we sell Szmodics now, not last February. What a player has done in the past counts for very little, what they do in the present and future is what counts.

Edited by rigger

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am talking about if we sell Szmodics now, not last February. What a player has done in the past counts for very little, what they do in the present and future is what counts.

Well kaminski and Wharton won't be doing anything for us in the future will they?

Szmodic is our Only goal scorer 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rigger said:

Really!!....who the feck scores our Goals then?

Depressing this situation having to flog our best Players,just get them Season Tickets bought.

2 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Really!!....who the feck scores our Goals then?

Depressing this situation having to flog our best Players,just get them Season Tickets bought.

I remember the same being said about Dack. For clubs in our present financial position the mantra should be sell your assets when they are at their highest value. Judging when that is, can be the difference between success and failure.  

17 minutes ago, rigger said:

Not if he is sold

Yeah and Goalscorers are the hardest to replace.

Wharton and Kaminski are top players and Wharton will go on to have a better career than Szmodic but when sold they weren't bigger losses than Szmodic (if he is sold)