BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

I wish there were stats for the number of times Shaw in particular (and the others) kicked the ball backwards. 

Maguire just said we weren’t ruthless enough in the final third. They need to get in the final third more and they won’t do that by continually playing the ball sideways and backwards.

So slow all over the pitch. Absolutely lacklustre. Subs should have been on earlier, Foden should be on from the start and Mount is dog sh!te and should be nowhere near the England team.

Southgate on talking bollocks.

Even the other half made a comment about the constant sideways and backwards passing by the England defenders.

On that display this will be a rerun of 2018 with England flattering to deceive and losing as soon as they come up against a decent side

13 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I wish there were stats for the number of times Shaw in particular (and the others) kicked the ball backwards. 

Maguire just said we weren’t ruthless enough in the final third. They need to get in the final third more and they won’t do that by continually playing the ball sideways and backwards.

So slow all over the pitch. Absolutely lacklustre. Subs should have been on earlier, Foden should be on from the start and Mount is dog sh!te and should be nowhere near the England team.

I’d say we passed it backwards as much as we passed it forwards tonight. We were back to taking the ball stood still again.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

16 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I have always thought most England players are seen to be better than they are because of the top class team mates they have with their club sides. Phil Foden is a shining light in his own right and stands out at Man City even with all the great players around him.

He should be the first name on the England team sheet. 

• Like 3

Disagree with all the negativity. USA are a pretty good side. Hell most of them play in England anyway. 

Because we play against players from the same league, I fear that we may bomb against Wales. Rather play against total foreigners with foreign styles.

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I thought Shaw was by far our best player. He put in two delicious set pieces - Kane missed an absolute sitter.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, bazza said:

Disagree with all the negativity. USA are a pretty good side. Hell most of them play in England anyway. 

Because we play against players from the same league, I fear that we may bomb against Wales. Rather play against total foreigners with foreign styles.

Wales are shite. As awful as we were tonight we’ll beat them.

13 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

Should have brought Mount off no matter what. Dreadful player 

The guy that is turning down a £200,000 a week deal at Chelsea apparently. Modern day football  is mad. What would Dougie be pulling in if he played nowadays ? He’d more ability in the big toe of his right foot than the likes of Mount have in their whole body. Same goes for Saka for me, he lost the ball nearly every time he had it last night.  I don’t think playing him on the right wing when he’s predominantly left footed helps his cause though.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

To add to this, I also think you need men that can carry and dribble past their man. By beating a man you move players out of position and create space and angles for passes. We don't have many/if any of that type of player. Just zip it around square and into feet.  

• Like 1

It seemed pretty simple to me. USA had 3 very athletic players in the middle. We had two athletic players in the middle. They inevitably won that battle. Mount can play a bit deeper, but he was a complete passenger in the number 10 role. 

For me Southgate should have switched by getting Mount to drop after about 25 minutes. Personally I'd have been taking him off for Gallagher. We simply lost that midfield battle so we never even got into their final third. 

It was a poor performance and that's on Southgate. I've no reason to think he'll adjust. Either before a game and especially mid game.

Croatia 2018 - outnumbered in midfield 

Italy 2021 - outnumbered in midfield

Last night - outnumbered in midfield 

The only difference was the quality of the opposition. Southgate has never played a 3 man midfield in all his time as England manager. Without elite ball playing players we always get overrun there. It's obvious. Very clear what a lot of people have said previously. He's a steady eddy of a manager who will see us progress through group stages, but he lacks any tactical noise which will eventually see us achieve nothing. 

And I've not even mentioned the attacking talent on our bench he always fails to utilise. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

To add to this, I also think you need men that can carry and dribble past their man. By beating a man you move players out of position and create space and angles for passes. We don't have many/if any of that type of player. Just zip it around square and into feet.  

Grealish and Foden are exactly those type of players

It was a curious performance rather like the Scotland match at the Euros and the second half against Italy in the final. England were stuck in second gear and seemed unable to raise the pace

It seems the Iran match was an outlier with the regards to England’s form. We’ve been poor for some time and if doesn’t augur well. We should make the quarters but that will be the end of the road