BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Slowish start but I think some are exaggerating how bad we were in the first 30mins. We played with some intensity and a lot in their half before going pedestrian walking football. Few lapses in concentration could have been punished but you can't go a whole tournament with out concealing chances. France looked as vulnerable against Poland before they scored so let's compare apples with apples, none of the big guns have put in flawless performances consistently 

Both us and France looked poor for periods today against weaker opposition, but ultimately both won comfortably and that's all that counts in the end.

It should be a fascinating clash next Saturday. Arguably the two best teams so far based on performances going head-to-head. Admittedly an argument could possibly be made for Brazil to be in that conversation as well.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Dembele will fancy his chances against Maguire.

I think Shaw can deal with him. 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Point being you didnt pick the team that Southgate went for either, so the told you so nonsense is invalidated.

Neither did you nor didn't want Henderson who proved you wrong again today. You can admit it 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Until Southgate doesnt. Stick to the same team.

Already said the reasons I want Rashford in the team over Saka and I stand by that. 

• Like 1

We were poor for the first 40 mins as were France. Both kicked on after scoring their first goal, and I think it’s going to be very close in the next game. Who scores first could be crucial . Whoever wins could be the eventual WC winner.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Of course it does cos Mbappe plays on the left so will be up against Walker or Tripper. Maguire plays on the left side of defence 

What part of after tonight Deschamps will tell Mbappe to play in the shoulder of Maguire are you not getting from what i'm saying,and even if he plays on the left there's nothing stopping him from drifting inside from time to time to get past the slow CB's

Edited by Darrenbot
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I share the same concerns about France’s quick attackers as everyone else, but let’s remember also, that they’ve got three players injured in Pogba, Kante and Benzema that absolutely would be starting if fit. Their stand ins have done well enough obviously, but we’ve got players that can hurt them as well.

It should be a very close game.

I can see it being a 3-2 type of game,too many good players going forward for a 0-0 or a 1-0

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

What part of after tonight Deschamps will tell Mbappe to play in the shoulder of Maguire are you not getting from what i'm saying,and even if he plays on the left there's nothing stopping him from drifting inside from time to time to get past the slow CB's

I think you're grasping a bit here pal, Mbappe won't be changing his game for nobody.  There's far more traffic in the middle, he likes to isolate full backs....and he's right footed so your theory doesn't hold water.  

Just read an interesting statistic

From 1968 to 2016, nearly 50 years, England won just six knockout games in major tournaments. Since 2018, Southgate’s team have won another six.

England have proved they can beat middling teams but they have consistently been outplayed by top-class sides in deciding games: by Belgium and Croatia at the last World Cup, and by Italy in the final of Euro 2020.

Can England beat a real heavyweight in France in a knockout game?

• Like 3

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

England have proved they can beat middling teams but they have consistently been outplayed by top-class sides in deciding games: by Belgium and Croatia at the last World Cup, and by Italy in the final of Euro 2020.

By learning how to get past the middling teams, we're finally putting ourselves in positions regularly for a crack at the top sides. 

Law of averages we should get the big scalps eventually. Was very close with Italy. 

I don't fancy our chances against France, but you never know. Mbappe limps off injured after 15 mins and I'd make us favourites. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Slowish start but I think some are exaggerating how bad we were in the first 30mins. We played with some intensity and a lot in their half before going pedestrian walking football. Few lapses in concentration could have been punished but you can't go a whole tournament with out concealing chances. France looked as vulnerable against Poland before they scored so let's compare apples with apples, none of the big guns have put in flawless performances consistently 

We have usually started slowly. Its a definite plan. For much of the first half we suck the life out of teams, then pounce when the game opens up. Its working!

Haven't lost a game, have scored 3 goals twice, are not conceding and finished a clear top of our group. We were never favourites to win and we're a bit unlucky to face the World Champions next up, but we have done well so far. Like everyone else I fear Maguire might get a pasting from Mbappe but presumably Southgate has something in mind to counter that. It won't be pretty!

So I'm realistic and prepared to not win the tournament but a little bit of me thinks we might!.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Just read an interesting statistic

From 1968 to 2016, nearly 50 years, England won just six knockout games in major tournaments. Since 2018, Southgate’s team have won another six.

We beat Germany 

• Like 1

When Julian Laurens, the most biased French journalist says England have a better squad than France then that says something.  Hes also admitting France are hugely dependent on mbappe unlike England who have multiple threats 

Edited by roverandout

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think you're grasping a bit here pal, Mbappe won't be changing his game for nobody.  There's far more traffic in the middle, he likes to isolate full backs....and he's right footed so your theory doesn't hold water.  

What has right footed got to do with sitting on Maguire shoulder and running onto passes through the MIDDLE of the pitch.You saying one of the best players in the world cant score goals unless hes coming in from  the left wing

26 minutes ago, roverandout said:

When Julian Laurens, the most biased French journalist says England have a better squad than France then that says something.  Hes also admitting France are hugely dependent on mbappe unlike England who have multiple threats 

France definitely have multiple threats. Their frontline today was Mbappe, Griezeman, Giroud and Dembele. Feels pretty threatening to me.

• Like 4

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, roverandout said:

When Julian Laurens, the most biased French journalist says England have a better squad than France then that says something. 

It's a mindset though, just like Rovers. Quite often we have the better team on paper, but go a goal down, and they don't seem to believe anymore.

The French have the winning mentality, been there before and done it.

Just had someone quote our QF as 60/40 to France. Seems fair, but tbh I'm feeling more 65/35. Just on past history alone. We've still got a good chunk of the pie though. If we could get past them I truly believe it's on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

France definitely have multiple threats. Their frontline today was Mbappe, Griezeman, Giroud and Dembele. Feels pretty threatening to me.

I'm just quoting Laurens and he watches France regularly.  Yes they have multiple talents but this World Cup mbappe has been heavily relied upon. Anyway I think we will narrowly lose but as long as we give them a fight I will be proud of them

It's f**&-,in tiresome being on here. Why can't we show some positivity. We have one of the best defensive records and the best attacks playing In a world cup with no obvious favourite. Yes some realism but every sentence is argued with 'yes but we haven't played anyone ' or 'mbappe will be too good' or 'we are defensively weak' jees rovers have turned everyone into pessimists. 

13 minutes ago, roverandout said:

It's f**&-,in tiresome being on here. Why can't we show some positivity. We have one of the best defensive records and the best attacks playing In a world cup with no obvious favourite. Yes some realism but every sentence is argued with 'yes but we haven't played anyone ' or 'mbappe will be too good' or 'we are defensively weak' jees rovers have turned everyone into pessimists. 

Probably 56 years since winning anything gets people thinking the worst.

Are we one of the few teams that can win the cup,yes we are,

Has Southgate shown he can get teams through knockout games,yes he has but...

Has he shown he can beat big teams in big games in the final stages of tournaments,no he hasnt and until that changes you will find people picking holes in things,you call it pessimism,i call it being realistic

I will be cheering England on as much as the rest of us on Saturday and will be thrilled to be proven wrong.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Fabulous performance from England, cant wait to watch back the highlights tonight. 100% in control from start to finish.

I think anyone watching that around the world will put England in the same bracket as France and Brazil.

Does that mean we will win the world cup.... Not really, weve got a 50/50 against France then two more ties if we make it we are not going to have better than a 60/40 chance of winning. So statistically we are far more likely to be knocked out than getting the cup....

But great performance, Southgate continues to get so much out of the team, and anyone will really fear us.

The real innovation for me is sticking with four at the back and playing Henderson, Rice and Bellingham in midfield. Senegal didnt get a sniff and I know Deschamps will be thinking long and hard about how to compete with those three without Kante and Pogba...

Well said.

I am glad I stay off here during the games. It was obvious after 10 minutes that England were by far the better team. Pickford's save made them wake up, then lo and behold it was 2-0 and game over at half time.

Lots of posts moaning about Saka. He scores again. Henderson; a title winning and Champs League winning captain is thought of as a complete plodder. It's completely lost on most that he can play.

I say again and again that this board is anti-England, and is certainly pessimistic at the chances of winning. Of course history plays a part but it's gamblers fallacy to think that there is no chance of victory. The Germans are out again after the group stages, Italy are missing their second straight World Cup. 

I also think that a lot of it comes down to the mentality that pervades East Lancashire. Predicting the worst and being right is easier than hoping for the best and being wrong. 

Finally, as to Maguire struggling against Mbappe; the last time I looked he played on the left side of England's defence, and Mbappe on the left side for France. Maguire will be responsible for Giroud. Stones and Walker will work on Mbappe. 

Think big. 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t say this board is anti England just a fatalism about how things always end up (unless you’re in your 60s and can remember 1966). I said in the the last World Cup whilst leading 1-0 to Croatia if we can’t beat the likes of these in a World Cup semi final from this position then we’ll never win a World Cup semi again. I stand by that. In the euros final whilst beating Italy 1-0 I said if we can’t beat someone at home in a major final then we’ll not beat anyone. I’ll stand by that as well.

In every World Cup there’s probably 3-8 teams better than England on paper so we should beat most teams but also will be punching above our weight to win a tournament. In this tournament we’ve played 4 crap sides and easily dispatched 3 of them, as we should, and drew with the other one playing very badly. The media have talked up every bit of shit we’ve played this tournament but no one but no one could possibly believe iran, usa, wales or Senegal should beat England. 

However, England always either get beaten by a better side or bottle it against a worst side in the business end of tournaments (or earlier). How many times have England upset the odds in a knockout stage in a World Cup? Never in 50 years but vs Germany in the euros.

I wouldn’t say it’s pessimistic just the reality of what always happens. Every. Single. Time.

Edited by matt83
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Henderson; a title winning and Champs League winning captain is thought of as a complete plodder. It's completely lost on most that he can play.

He's criminally under rated as a player. I think he's great, he does a lot of the dirty ugly work that no one else wants to do that and is an experienced leader on the pitch. He does a lot of shouting and organising which I don't really see from Harry Kane but which I think is so vital for our younger players. Work rate is off the charts as well. 

I've thought this season he's not been at it and maybe age is catching up to his high energy game but when he's in the mood he was last night he has to start

• Like 2

You’ve got to remember that unlike most on here that only really gives England a second look around tournaments, i.e not massively invested so they just comment on what they see, roverandout absolutely lives for them, which is fair enough, but he does seem to take any ‘negativity’ personally. 

Which is ironic because he’s slagged off all things Rovers relentlessly for about 10 years!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

What has right footed got to do with sitting on Maguire shoulder and running onto passes through the MIDDLE of the pitch.You saying one of the best players in the world cant score goals unless hes coming in from  the left wing

Can you imagine us putting Forden as CF? 

I'm saying any Manager would be crackers to move him.