BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

• Backroom
8 hours ago, Silas said:

I turned on to see them 2-0 up after 15 mins or whatever and switched right off.

No competitive match to be had after that.

Don't know if that makes me a crap football fan.

Was far more fun the bits of the Croatia Japan game I caught earlier. 

Same here tbh, I watch a tournament like this for competitive matches, not a Brazil exhibition. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What I don’t like about Brazil is the prolonged celebrations involving the whole team for minutes on end. I think it’s disrespectful to your opponents. A handshake and a pat on the back was good enough for Dougie.

Agree and many goal celebrations these days are like watching a panto or circus act. 

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Interesting headline in todays paper I believe - “  Burnley boss Vincent Kompany is on the short list to replace Roberto Martinez as the  new Belgium boss “. 

It’s come a bit too soon for him I think but who knows ? 

He will want to try and forge a career at club level I imagine as top level club management is where the big money and accolade is. International managers tend to be departure lounge to retirement or failed club bosses. 

It would amuse me greatly though if he left Turd Moor part way through the season. 

1 hour ago, benhben said:

He will want to try and forge a career at club level I imagine as top level club management is where the big money and accolade is. International managers tend to be departure lounge to retirement or failed club bosses. 

It would amuse me greatly though if he left Turd Moor part way through the season. 

Also I guess taking over a national team with an aging squad is not really that attractive either, as he would have little opportunity to beat Martinez's third place at a world cup or Euros and make a name for himself. Cant really see him going for it.

15 hours ago, Silas said:

I turned on to see them 2-0 up after 15 mins or whatever and switched right off.

No competitive match to be had after that.

Don't know if that makes me a crap football fan.

Was far more fun the bits of the Croatia Japan game I caught earlier. 

Being honest I thought about doing that because really wanted South Korea to win but once I made peace with the fact there was no upset to be had it was a very entertaining game and Brazil wher a joy to watch 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would say that the 4 teams that we have played and South Korea are all of a similar level, half decent with the occasional good player. We havent't played strong opposition. Real signs of intent would be to beat a big team but us winning by 3 or 4 goals is still impressive as were Brazil tonight. Some of the one touch stuff, tricks and flicks were true Brazilian flair and I loved watching it.

Senegal are the African Cup of Nations Champions. They are by far a better team than South Korea, even with Mane missing.

Let's take their back line for example:

Jakobs - Monaco

Diallo - Dortmund

Koulibaly - Chelsea

Sabaly - Real Betis

Mendy - Chelsea

Compare that to South Koreas

J. Kim - Jeonbuk Hyuandia Motors

Kim Young gwon - Gangzhou

Kim min - Napoli

Kim moon - Jeonbuk

Kim Seung - Al Shabab

The levels of training and competitiveness aren't comparable. To call Senegal a "half decent" team either shows an ignorance to international football or reveals a bias you are trying to hide

Beating Senegal in an exceptionally professional performance is exactly why pundits are saying other teams should be afraid to play us. We made them look amateur in the second half especially.

Yet pundit unanimously chastised South Korea last night. They tried to go man for man vs Brazil - I thought Mcoist was going to combust. He actually said it was his duty to tell us just what SK were doing - that is leaving 3 on 3 against one of the best attacking sides in the world. It was as much tactical suicide as it was a great attacking performance.

I think it is 3 of South Korea's starting line up that play in the top leagues of the World, compared to all of Senegal's starting 11.

In the World Cup you can only beat what team you are drawn against. And we have played strong opposition. The USA and Senegal are both good teams - we didn't concede a goal against either and put 3 past one. We have been utterly professional in our approach to this tournament. Zero yellow cards, the best attack and the only goals conceded after knocking 6 past a team that are notorious for their defensive strength.

Of course, when we do, Iran are crap and Senegal are half decent. You win some you lose some but let's stop pretending you are playing this argument with a straight bat whilst chasting roverandout for his understandable bias towards England.

We are, afterall, English and one can actually forgive a bias towards ourselves

• Like 5

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Being honest I thought about doing that because really wanted South Korea to win but once I made peace with the fact there was no upset to be had it was a very entertaining game and Brazil wher a joy to watch 

Maybe I missed out then.

I look forward to seeing them in more competitive games in the the quarters and semi. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Senegal are the African Cup of Nations Champions. They are by far a better team than South Korea, even with Mane missing.

Let's take their back line for example:

Jakobs - Monaco

Diallo - Dortmund

Koulibaly - Chelsea

Sabaly - Real Betis

Mendy - Chelsea

Compare that to South Koreas

J. Kim - Jeonbuk Hyuandia Motors

Kim Young gwon - Gangzhou

Kim min - Napoli

Kim moon - Jeonbuk

Kim Seung - Al Shabab

The levels of training and competitiveness aren't comparable. To call Senegal a "half decent" team either shows an ignorance to international football or reveals a bias you are trying to hide

Beating Senegal in an exceptionally professional performance is exactly why pundits are saying other teams should be afraid to play us. We made them look amateur in the second half especially.

Yet pundit unanimously chastised South Korea last night. They tried to go man for man vs Brazil - I thought Mcoist was going to combust. He actually said it was his duty to tell us just what SK were doing - that is leaving 3 on 3 against one of the best attacking sides in the world. It was as much tactical suicide as it was a great attacking performance.

I think it is 3 of South Korea's starting line up that play in the top leagues of the World, compared to all of Senegal's starting 11.

In the World Cup you can only beat what team you are drawn against. And we have played strong opposition. The USA and Senegal are both good teams - we didn't concede a goal against either and put 3 past one. We have been utterly professional in our approach to this tournament. Zero yellow cards, the best attack and the only goals conceded after knocking 6 past a team that are notorious for their defensive strength.

Of course, when we do, Iran are crap and Senegal are half decent. You win some you lose some but let's stop pretending you are playing this argument with a straight bat whilst chasting roverandout for his understandable bias towards England.

We are, afterall, English and one can actually forgive a bias towards ourselves

I described our three wins in the quote mentioned as impressive and have praised us further after each of them. I would also agree that Senegal are better than South Korea albeit neither are one of the top countries in the tournament. Senegal are missing their talisman and were quite reliant on 2 attacking players currently playing in the Championship, they also really missed Idrissa Gueye. We have better players than him and beat them with minimal fuss which is worthy of praise.

You are correct in that you can only play the teams you are drawn against, hence why there is an element of luck in the draw that doesn't exist in a league format. We have had very fortunate draws in the last 2 tournaments but we have got a really tough draw this time around.

Roverandout doesn't display understandable, moreso ecentricity whereby any discussion about any other teams has to be assumed as a slight on England and regular 180 degree turns within minutes. He also seemingly cannot watch other teams and appreciate good football without being sickened by how commentators talk about some of the best players in the world.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I described our three wins in the quote mentioned as impressive and have praised us further after each of them. I would also agree that Senegal are better than South Korea albeit neither are one of the top countries in the tournament. Senegal are missing their talisman and were quite reliant on 2 attacking players currently playing in the Championship, they also really missed Idrissa Gueye. We have better players than him and beat them with minimal fuss which is worthy of praise.

You are correct in that you can only play the teams you are drawn against, hence why there is an element of luck in the draw that doesn't exist in a league format. We have had very fortunate draws in the last 2 tournaments but we have got a really tough draw this time around.

Roverandout doesn't display understandable, moreso ecentricity whereby any discussion about any other teams has to be assumed as a slight on England and regular 180 degree turns within minutes. He also seemingly cannot watch other teams and appreciate good football without being sickened by how commentators talk about some of the best players in the world.

That Gueye is a good player. Everton have made a smart signing there.

• Backroom

Considering the public emphasis Luis Enrique put on penalties before the tournament, those were three shocking penalties from Spain. Maybe those comments ultimately backfired psychologically. 

Well done to Morocco. Hung in there and got their rewards. The prevailing cencesus before the tournament was that Spain's team lacked goals, and that was roundly rubbished after they won their first game 7-0, but that turned out to be an outlier and the doubters were spot on. Spain just couldn't score when they needed to.

Another so called big gun out and yet another selection of fairy penalties from Spain, just like Japan. Shearer said last night “ What’s happened to picking your spot and just blasting it.” He obviously meant the way he took them but didn’t say that. 
I hope our boys have learned a lesson from watching Japan and Spain with their terrible penalty shoot outs. Over to you Gareth. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You said they were a similar level, 'half decent' with a few good players. Not that they are better. The rest of the usual caveats you put in aren't needed. At the end of the day Senegal are the best team in Africa and have players from all over the top leagues in Europe, and playing regularly. Even the Championship player you say they rely on is wanted by top clubs in Europe.

How have we had 'very fortunate' runs? In WC 2018 we knocked out a very good Colombia side which featured the likes of Cuadrado, Falcao, Mina, Lerma.

In Euro 2020 we knocked out Germany, who featured Haverts, Kroos, Goretzka, Kimmich, Neur, Muller, Werner.

We then beat an exceptionally organised Denmark side in another professional tournament knockout game

And you see, it is due to those little caveats in your posts that I will only quote this part. I'm not here to point out the rights and wrongs of posters but, in contrast to your view on roverandout, your posts of "praise" are often littered with caveats that aren't true. Or, as you have picked out Foden's comments about his team mate becoming the best midfielder in the world - why can you take issue with that particular comment but roverandout not take issue with other comments about other nations' players?

Anyway, I don't agree with your evaluation of England being fortunate in the teams we've played to date / in other tournament runs and actually think the opinion that other teams do not want to play us is right. We are on a great run in knockout football and any little caveat you can try and place to knock that form down is irrelevant because our form in consecutive major tournaments tells me this is more than "luck" and "injuries" to other teams. And that will remain regardless of the result vs France.

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Awful penalties from Spain. Who decided that walking up to take a penalty makes it easier to score? 

Having said that if Morocco's 21 could shoot they'd have lost too. 

Of course you could take the “ John Coddington “ route and run that far you were actually tired when you got to the ball. Once seen, never forgotten.

6 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Euro 2020 we knocked out Germany, who featured Haverts, Kroos, Goretzka, Kimmich, Neur, Muller, Werner.

Our route to the final was underrated. If we played  Ukraine --> Denmark --> Germany it would have been a tricky draw. The order we did it in looks easy but at the end of the day it's the same three teams we have to beat but it can be dismissed because Denmark is an "easy semi"

• Like 1