BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It reads like you are agreeing with me. They were unlucky. They should have beat Spain too.

My comment was a counterpoint to Darrenbot stating that the German team didn't have quality players. They do have quality players, it's the set up that isn't working. The German mentality isn't there. 

I read your last line as meaning the system is still in need of a reboot, ergo it hasn't started yet. If you meant the reboot is happening now and they need to have patience then yes, I was definitely agreeing with you! I saw a lot of reactionary stuff in the German media talking about sacking the manager and coaching staff now, how Germany aren't a tournament team anymore, how their national team is no longer elite, an embarrassment, etc... it was just way over the top and proves it isn't just the English press and supporters who sometimes go too far with expectations versus reality.

1 hour ago, Darrenbot said:

The German team has failed to get out of the group stages for the last 2 world cups,i'd hardly call them a team full of quality players,they don't come close to some of the German teams from the past.

Correct. The current crop of German players don't have anything like the quality of previous German sides. The  fact the players play for top clubs is irrelevant. It's just a poor cohort compared to their great teams of the past

The Germans won't be down for long. They'll analyse where they've been going wrong, make a long term plan and return to the top. 

1 hour ago, Darrenbot said:

The German team has failed to get out of the group stages for the last 2 world cups,i'd hardly call them a team full of quality players,they don't come close to some of the German teams from the past.

How many of them of key players for their club sides like Bayern with Muller, Neuer, Gnabry or Man City with Gundogan or Real Madrid with Rudgier or Chelsea with Havertz. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The draw is the draw, yes. In my and many others opinions, we have been fortunate with it in the last 2 tournaments.

I have to disagree as others have on here. 

52 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Let's look at the degree of difficulty of those runs...

2018 World Cup - Fifa rankings at the time

R16 we beat 16th ranked team (par)but only on penalties

QF we beat a side ranked 24th (fortunate draw for last eight)         

SF we lost to a side ranked 20th (fortunate draw for last 4)

We also lost twice to a side ranked 3rd.

We only beat (in 90 minutes) sides o/s the World top 20. 

2021 Euros - Fifa rankings at the time

R16 beat team ranked 12th (8th in Europe) - good result

QF beat team ranked 24th (16th in Europe - fortunate draw for last eight)

SF beat team ranked 10th (7th in Europe - fortunate)

Final - lost to 7th ranked team (6th in Europe)

We lost to a side ranked a QF, albeit on penalties.

With all due respect the FIFA Rankings are flawed and I to agree with @Dreams of 1995reply to yourself. 

• Like 1

End of the day you can slice and dice previous tournament opposition all night long.

But to win this time we will in all likelihood need to beat three elite teams on the bounce. That hasn’t been the case in the last two tournaments and if they do do it, then it will be an achievement to match ‘66 and all that. 

• Like 6

Swiss were very poor but hats off to Portugal tonight - a brilliant performance with some excellent goals

For pure football, Portugal v Brazil would be a fitting final and one that many non-England fans would like to see

29 minutes ago, DE. said:

I read your last line as meaning the system is still in need of a reboot, ergo it hasn't started yet. If you meant the reboot is happening now and they need to have patience then yes, I was definitely agreeing with you! I saw a lot of reactionary stuff in the German media talking about sacking the manager and coaching staff now, how Germany aren't a tournament team anymore, how their national team is no longer elite, an embarrassment, etc... it was just way over the top and proves it isn't just the English press and supporters who sometimes go too far with expectations versus reality.

I did but can see it be read other ways. Low lasted too long. Flick is having to deal with that legacy. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I did but can see it be read other ways. Low lasted too long. Flick is having to deal with that legacy. 

Yep, pretty much. This was an improvement on WC 2018 for them and with better luck they'd have been in the last 16 taking on Morocco or Croatia, with every chance of ending up in the quarters at the very least. It didn't happen for them this time, but sometimes that's football. The German media (and other media) are trying to conflate WC 2018 and WC 2022 into the same failure for Germany, when in fact there's significant differences between how they went out four years ago and how they went out this time around.

Edited by DE.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, DE. said:

Switzerland one of those teams that are hyped pre-tournament and labelled dark horses, but almost always exit with a whimper fairly early on. This is probably the worst I've seen them in any semi-recent tournament though.

A hangover from the Roy Hodgson days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Portugal are fantastic Brazil are fantastic  Argentina are fantastic.  England have been fortunate yada yada yada 

No one has said that England are fortunate in this tournament any more than any of those. All (besides maybe Argentina) have received warranted praise for batting aside weaker opposition convincingly with minimal fuss. Your paranoia has meant that you cant even watch a seperate game without going into an England based frenzy.

• Like 1

Wow didnt see that coming from Portugal at all. Look so much better without Ronaldo leading the line. That new forward looks an outstanding talent. Quality from the bench too.

Brazil, France, Portugal and England all really looking strong. Netherlands and Argentina have turned it around too. Shaping up to be a top set of quarter finals.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No one has said that England are fortunate in this tournament any more than any of those. All (besides maybe Argentina) have received warranted praise for batting aside weaker opposition convincingly with minimal fuss. Your paranoia has meant that you cant even watch a seperate game without going into an England based frenzy.

If you are English, what is wrong with an English based frenzy ? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You seem to have lost my point. General posts regarding the enjoyment of the World Cup are hijacked by the desire to push an agenda that England are unfairly treated even at irrelevant times.

In my opinion, utter bollocks. By the way, I haven't lost your point, I just think it is wrong. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

• Backroom
40 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Wow didnt see that coming from Portugal at all. Look so much better without Ronaldo leading the line. That new forward looks an outstanding talent. Quality from the bench too.

Brazil, France, Portugal and England all really looking strong. Netherlands and Argentina have turned it around too. Shaping up to be a top set of quarter finals.

I'm not convinced Argentina have really turned it around. Their win against Australia was pretty laboured and otherwise they've lost to Saudi Arabia, scraped past Mexico and beat an abysmal Poland. Their match against the Netherlands will show whether they really have turned a corner, imo, but I'm expecting they'll lose unless Messi rolls back the years.

• Like 2

The Dutch are looking good. You'd expect that from a Van Gal side - above all else pragmatic.

They might not blow teams away but they will be organised and they will manage the game well.

Sounds quite like an orange version of Southgate but let's not go there..........................................................................

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There almost certainly wont be much in it but Holland are surely favourites for the quarter final, even with the Messi story. Holland have possibly the best defence in the competition, some quality in midfield and some real pace and threat up top.

I have yet to see a good defence in this competition.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

In a few weeks time CR7 will most likely have played his last ever international and European club game as he takes that final payday in Saudi.

His behaviour over the past month or so will have brought about a very ignominious end to a top class career…

I’d love England to knock them out. In his last ever chance at winning the World Cup. Rashford to score and run over and wink at him 🤣

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Lol I know