BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

1 minute ago, superniko said:

I don’t get the Southgate hate. 
Any of us clowns could manage an international team, there is nothing really in it. 
Players like him, the team has done what it could but knockout football is what it is. It’s a young squad and they like him and we play good stuff in proper matches (no serious players give a shit about friendliest and nations league)

The only gripe I’d have is the Mason amount weirdness - he wasn’t the sub we needed. 

We’ve tried the expensive foreign muck and they were the pits. I remember Argentina, Romania, Brazil, Portugal, Portugal, Iceland etc etc. 

I don’t hate Southgate, I don’t hate anyone in football. It’s just a game. I just don’t rate him as a manager who can win things. If I wanted a son in law he’d be great.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, superniko said:

I don’t get the Southgate hate. 
Any of us clowns could manage an international team, there is nothing really in it. 
Players like him, the team has done what it could but knockout football is what it is. It’s a young squad and they like him and we play good stuff in proper matches (no serious players give a shit about friendliest and nations league)

The only gripe I’d have is the Mason amount weirdness - he wasn’t the sub we needed. 

We’ve tried the expensive foreign muck and they were the pits. I remember Argentina, Romania, Brazil, Portugal, Portugal, Iceland etc etc. 

I think Southgate should stay. Hes done a great job.  He needs to work on his substitutions though 

Edited by roverandout

55 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

This is said before every major tournament and it never happens. 

It’s not though, nobody fancied us to win this, but on the basis of play in the tournament if it started again England go off favourites or 2nd favourites. 
We’ve not gone into one saying we’re capable of winning since the Rooney metatarsal I’d say. Maybe, maybe the home euros 2 years ago you could say we fancied ourselves, but not this one. We were behind Brazil, Argies, French and Spanish in the betting 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, superniko said:

It’s not though, nobody fancied us to win this, but on the basis of play in the tournament if it started again England go off favourites or 2nd favourites. 
We’ve not gone into one saying we’re capable of winning since the Rooney metatarsal I’d say. Maybe, maybe the home euros 2 years ago you could say we fancied ourselves, but not this one. We were behind Brazil, Argies, French and Spanish in the betting 

Having said that I thought whoever won tonight would be in pole position to win the trophy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ianrally said:

I hope the fans of all the Premiership teams remember how Loris threw the ball at the England fans at the final whistle, no class, unlike Giroud who was class at the end. 

Hardly the most obnoxious thing anyone's ever done is it really though? See the ball go into the crowd every week in leagues the world over after the final whistle...

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Having said that I thought whoever won tonight would be in pole position to win the trophy.

Agree with that. France didn’t look much tonight. But they’re clear of the other 3 left in it. 
Italy not qualifying, Germany and Belgian out in groups. Portugal to Morocco, Brazil to Croatia…..it’s tournament footy, it’s what it is. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree mentality has a bearing on it. It’s not just football though is it. Our rugby teams of both codes seem to always find a new way of losing.

Limited over Cricket team seem to be the only ones with the bollocks out of our international teams. 
Footy lads should pay their psychologist or whatever shite they employee these days 😂

The manager debate I'm genuinely torn on. Southgate has transformed England, we've gone from a team grateful for making the quarter finals to a team expected to win tournaments. He's also had three tournaments which I feel is enough for an international manager. Do we let him have the euros? 

The players seem to like him but also he doesn't seem to get that extra few % out of our attacking talent 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

What gets me is France a country with a tinpot league and who half of them prefer Rugby to football are going to win a second World cup in a row while we a country that lives and dies with football are stuck waiting until at least 60 years since we won it.

Argentina 😉

Thought we were the better team if not vastly so. Created more, controlled the ball better... Just France pulled off two sensational finishes whereas we couldnt convert our chances. Probably our best performance against a top team in knockout in the last 30 years.

Does feel different to previous exits in that it does just feel a matter of time till we win something. Squads so young, more top talent coming through, looking across the squads across the world no other nation in such a strong position.

For me if Southgate wants to stay he should.

• Like 2

It’s so disappointing yet so predictable. Italia 90, Euro 96, WC 2018, Euro 2020, now this, all tournaments where England had very good teams that could or should have won with a bit of luck. I’m beginning to think England are jinxed because something always seems to go against them and  they certainly did not deserve to lose last night. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roverandout said:

In rice and Bellingham we have two genuinely world class players 

Rice is a good player but not world class. I read he was supposed to be marking Greizmann last night. If so he hardly got near him. That was the difference. If Greizmann had have been playing for England we would probably have won. Bellingham could be world class shortly but he’s not quite there yet. He wasn’t as influential last night. Like most games the match was won and lost in midfield and they were better in that area.

I think we got out muscled to a certain extent last night in a very physical game. Saka went to ground appealing for a free kick and let their guy run away with ball before the first goal. Referees have been letting a lot go this time. In the Prem he would have almost certainly got a free kick. Maybe our refs need to start letting things go a bit more.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Just France pulled off two sensational finishes....

One sensational finish and one sublime cross.

Even Gally finishes that ball 9 out of 10. Hell, I think I finish quite a few with my 50p head.

Griezman was an absolute pest all over the pitch. Forget the dodgy ref, if I were him I'd want a steward's enquiry about where my MOTM award was. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Silas said:

One sensational finish and one sublime cross.

Even Gally finishes that ball 9 out of 10. Hell, I think I finish quite a few with my 50p head.

Griezman was an absolute pest all over the pitch. Forget the dodgy ref, if I were him I'd want a steward's enquiry about where my MOTM award was. 

That was a great cross he put in for the Giroud header. Bags of pace on the ball and a nice dip onto his head. Southgate mentioned Greizmann being a major threat before the game but let him have the freedom of the pitch last night.

From the games I’ve seen although Mbappe and Dembele have had the headlines Greizmann has made them tick. I’ll bet Morocco man mark him.

• Backroom
8 hours ago, RoverDom said:

The manager debate I'm genuinely torn on. Southgate has transformed England, we've gone from a team grateful for making the quarter finals to a team expected to win tournaments. He's also had three tournaments which I feel is enough for an international manager. Do we let him have the euros? 

The players seem to like him but also he doesn't seem to get that extra few % out of our attacking talent 

I don't think there's ever been such an embarrassment of riches out of work:

Zidane, Setien, Pochettino, Tuchel, Benitez, Bielsa, even Lopetegui.

However, if we're thinking about how likeable and articulate the England team have become under Southgate and want to KEEP that while adding some aggression, we could do a lot worse than Dyche.

Gutting but proud of the effort. Better team won in the end but there was very little in it. They gave it a good go and this feels very different to Croatia and Italy.

Re Southgate. Think it’s unfair to reduce the argument to the fact we haven’t won the three tournaments under him and therefore he should go. We weren’t strong favourites in any of them and he took us much closer to a win than anyone expected.

Put simply, he got a lot of big calls right this competition. Took flak for Maguire but he played well and got most of the selections spot on.

I’m not sure that a different manager would have got us playing much better than yesterday. This French team is better and their quality ultimately made the difference. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Gutting but proud of the effort. Better team won in the end but there was very little in it. They gave it a good go and this feels very different to Croatia and Italy.

Re Southgate. Think it’s unfair to reduce the argument to the fact we haven’t won the three tournaments under him and therefore he should go. We weren’t strong favourites in any of them and he took us much closer to a win than anyone expected.

Put simply, he got a lot of big calls right this competition. Took flak for Maguire but he played well and got most of the selections spot on.

I’m not sure that a different manager would have got us playing much better than yesterday. This French team is better and their quality ultimately made the difference. 

Their quality up front, plus a referee who seemed out of his depth I think was the difference. Seriously, that was a clear penalty and what is the point of VAR if they don't see that.

But we lost, and even if we got the penalty, we may still have lost, although presumably in extra time.

I don't see the point in getting rid of Southgate. Everyone was on his back after the nation's league. We don't have a an automatic right to win just because we're England. We've tried all sorts of managers over the years, but have continually fallen short. 

• Like 3