BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

10 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Their quality up front, plus a referee who seemed out of his depth I think was the difference. Seriously, that was a clear penalty and what is the point of VAR if they don't see that.

But we lost, and even if we got the penalty, we may still have lost, although presumably in extra time.

I don't see the point in getting rid of Southgate. Everyone was on his back after the nation's league. We don't have a an automatic right to win just because we're England. We've tried all sorts of managers over the years, but have continually fallen short. 

To play our tournament top scorer for 5 mins at the end was criminal.  Southgate has his mates in the squad, he plays them before the younger ones....Kane, Mount, Hendo.....all part of his crew.  Rashford, Grealish, etc not in the crew.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

You wouldn't start Kane?

I must admit, mason mount don't know what it is that he does. It's a bit like James milner for me, how does he get played?

I thought Henderson played well in earlier games, but last night... Didn't really notice him.

But like say, how many different managers have we tried over the years. Capello,I mean you're talking about one of the all time great managers, he couldn't manage it. Although I think it would be interesting to see what he could do with this current group

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

To play our tournament top scorer for 5 mins at the end was criminal.  Southgate has his mates in the squad, he plays them before the younger ones....Kane, Mount, Hendo.....all part of his crew.  Rashford, Grealish, etc not in the crew.

So you wouldn’t have played Kane? Henderson adds balance to the midfield and had a decent tournament. Grealish has done nothing in an England shirt. I wanted Rashford on earlier but don’t think it made a massive difference to the outcome.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

So you wouldn’t have played Kane? Henderson adds balance to the midfield and had a decent tournament. Grealish has done nothing in an England shirt. I wanted Rashford on earlier but don’t think it made a massive difference to the outcome.

No, I can't stand Kane. That's 3 tournaments he's ruined

We beat Iran, Wales and Sengal...

Morocco beat Spain, Portugal and Belgium

Our coach is a lucky lad who everyone thinks is decent.  I think he's shite and wasting these lads.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, broadsword said:

You wouldn't start Kane?

I must admit, mason mount don't know what it is that he does. It's a bit like James milner for me, how does he get played?

I thought Henderson played well in earlier games, but last night... Didn't really notice him.

But like say, how many different managers have we tried over the years. Capello,I mean you're talking about one of the all time great managers, he couldn't manage it. Although I think it would be interesting to see what he could do with this current group

I got the impression that Henderson was given the task of doubling up on Mbappe and he did seem to drift out to the right a lot, which might be a reason that Griezmann got a lot of space. Walker didn't seem to get forward, which might have also been part of the tactics.

It worked in keeping Mbappe quiet but, perhaps, with Bellingham getting forward, it left that pocket of space that made us vulnerable to Griezmann. Declan Rice is a fantastic striker of the ball and can run with it too but we saw nothing off that because he was so deep.

As with the Euros, we looked dangerous with our wingers running with the ball and turning defenders, but we didn't seem to be able to unlock teams with short passing movements as well. All that said, it was nearly enough and the team were unlucky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Rice is a good player but not world class. I read he was supposed to be marking Greizmann last night. If so he hardly got near him. That was the difference. If Greizmann had have been playing for England we would probably have won. Bellingham could be world class shortly but he’s not quite there yet. He wasn’t as influential last night. Like most games the match was won and lost in midfield and they were better in that area.

I think we got out muscled to a certain extent last night in a very physical game. Saka went to ground appealing for a free kick and let their guy run away with ball before the first goal. Referees have been letting a lot go this time. In the Prem he would have almost certainly got a free kick. Maybe our refs need to start letting things go a bit more.

I think we dominated midfield.  Rice was absolutely everywhere and Bellingham was more influential in the second half. Griezmann was on top in the first half but second half he only had one moment of magic 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I think we dominated midfield.  Rice was absolutely everywhere and Bellingham was more influential in the second half. Griezmann was on top in the first half but second half he only had one moment of magic 

One moment of magic is all you need at that level.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

We best Iran, Wales and Sengal...

Morocco beat Spain, Portugal and Belgium

And there you have it

England beat the league one teams but still struggles to get past the Premier League teams in tournament football

Yet Morocco beat 3 elite teams all with top grade footballers. How do you explain that?

Therein lies the beauty of football I suppose 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

One moment of magic is all you need at that level.

Exactly France had two real chances and took one of them. The long shot came out of the blue. Apart from the Maguire header we didn’t really create a chance in open play. 
In games like that the players that can create” one moment of magic “ are match winners.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Played well but still lost due to two lapses in defence. Southgate should go, as he has built a decent foundation for a genuinely class manager to win with. 

Jose Mourihno

I said it at the start of the tournament our defence isn't good enough, that's tlstill the case.  We need a manager like JM to sort it out.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

Guardiola hasn’t won the Champions League in his last 11 attempts, not many finals even, he’s only won 1 FA cup since being at City….. yet I don’t hear people calling for his head (despite his team being superior and favourites every single year)

It’s knockout football, it’s cup football, one off games, reading nonsense about ‘a much needed inquest’ from clowns like Henry Winter makes me want to pull my hair out. 
Low % 30 yard screamer through our legs and a deflected header, the dinosaur journalists need to get in the bin.

People have short memories….I was in France 6 years ago under Hodgson, or what about McClaren, or the failed foreign lads! 
There’s no shame in last night.

Build the team around James, Rice, Foden, Bellingham, Saka going forward - maybe even our fan favourite Harvey Elliott have a role to play next time as he develops at Liverpool.

It’s only 18 months until the Euros. 

Edited by superniko

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Exactly France had two real chances and took one of them. The long shot came out of the blue. Apart from the Maguire header we didn’t really create a chance in open play. 
In games like that the players that can create” one moment of magic “ are match winners.

Kane had a one on one that was a few inches from chipping Lloris

• Like 1

• Backroom

I'm sure I remember us being favourites or second favourites for Euro 2020, and our odds would hardly have been set as rank outsiders for WC 2018 or WC 2022 either. There's no need to talk ourselves down. We're up there in odds for every tournament because we have excellent players across the pitch, on balance equal if not more so than the vast majority of our opponents. 

Southgate staying on wouldn't bother me too much, but it should also be recognised that few managers who win nothing at international level at top nations stay on for more than three tournaments.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Jose Mourihno

I said it at the start of the tournament our defence isn't good enough, that's tlstill the case.  We need a manager like JM to sort it out.

Give over man 🤣 been on the Eggnog?

Southgate is the man to take this side forward, not some has been with an ego the size of a small country. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Southgate is the man to take this side forward, not some has been with an ego the size of a small country. 

I just want to win one Gav, someone like JM will do it one day...Southgate will never ever win anything with England, he's a nice chap but not for me.

Edited by Sparks Rover

Just now, Gav said:

Tend to agree on Mourinho but Southgate's had his chance (three of them) and failed Gav.

Would he get a job at a top Premier League Club? Do we want to waste our chance with this talented crop of players like we did with "The Golden Generation?"

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gav said:

No chances created from open play, Mount on before Rashford....the guy is a politician in charge of excellent footballers.

And I may add, anyone putting Kane as captain wants his head seeing too...watch the Spurs Amazon documentary and you'll see he can't get his team going....in fact, Hugo Loris gives a much better battle cry in the changing rooms.  Kane reflects Southgate.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, roverandout said:

Agree about saka. Taking him off to replace him with sterling was insanity.  Southgate’s subs have always been awful

Saka was shattered and that probably the reason wise

15 hours ago, roverandout said:

Tired of glorious failure.  These players have no winning menality.  Every tournament its the same.  We were so close bla bla.  I don't feel Any pride or sadness just numbness.  Other big nations have that extra desire.  We played well but playing well and losing doesn't win u tournaments 

I don't this team as a failure full stop but a team that the fans love and feel pride in supporting every game. We lose to France on fine margins. Maguire's header goes in inside of hitting the post and Giroud scores him which took a deflection of Maguire. 

27 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

No idea why our best player was brought off, ie saka?? 

Cos he shattered maybe? Fans don't have access to this data and etc? 

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Tend to agree on Mourinho but Southgate's had his chance (three of them) and failed Gav.

Would he get a job at a top Premier League Club? Do we want to waste our chance with this talented crop of players like we did with "The Golden Generation?"

Why does it matter if Southgate would get a top Premier League job? 

I also don't think Southgate has wasted this talented crop of players like previous managers including Sven, Capello, Hodgson and McClaren did. He is our most successful England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey and he should continue another 4 years and leave after the World cup 2026 in USA, Canada and Mexico.  

Also Mourinho shouldn't be anywhere near the England manager job. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

This site has an obsession with changing managers, be it at club level or national level, it rarely works as we have born witness to over many years.

Southgate has moulded the current crop into an exceptional side, one of the best in the world currently in my opinion and he should be allowed to carry on the good work he's doing. That said, we are lacking in defence, thats isn't the managers fault, the Premiership is missing top quality English defenders especially in the middle, but we have to live with that. 

I know many England fans through work and on a personal level, hardly any think the managers time is up, which speaks volumes for me.

• Like 6