BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (a) - 29/10/22

To be fair Nuttall had a ‘Dolan like’ start to his Rovers career, think he scored 3/4 in league one in his first 5/6 games. Think he scored a couple off the bench in the chumpy 18/19 too? Looked like a poor all round footballer but had a knack in that 6 yard box of scoring. Old fashioned striker. Shame it hasn’t worked out for him, Blackpool forked out £400,000 to snap him off of us.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s not rocket science lads and Brereton isn’t some type of anomaly. When he signed he was 19, had represented England at a few youth levels and had tore Arsenal a new arse in an FA cup game. The potential was there…the problem was, he wasn’t ready and some fans (not all ) are VERY quick to write off young players.

At the start of the season I asked a member of the current coaching team who they thought were the diamonds in our academy and the answer was instant…”Ash Phillips, Adam Wharton and Harry Leonard. We expect Phillips to be a £25m defender inside 12-18 months…he’s already got PL teams all over him”

Incidentally, he also suggested that the two he was most worried about based on JDT’s expectations were Ayala and Dack as there was a suggestion inside the club that they might not fit….it seems the former has got over those worries, the latter not so much.

The point I make is, ‘They’ know who are the better players etc. If you listen to the rumblings you can see who hasn’t had a chance.

I haven’t seen enough of Vale but they obv see something in him. Fingers crossed they’re right…tbf they’re not often wrong these days on youth! 600+ and counting!

Thanks for confirming that Dacks exclusion is not a lack of fitness issue but rather managers bias.

Now who was it said it was lack of fitness?

32 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Thanks for confirming that Dacks exclusion is not a lack of fitness issue but rather managers bias.

Now who was it said it was lack of fitness?

There’s nothing cynical or biased about it. They record absolutely everything…they know where players are strong and where they aren’t and that helps them to form opinions on who is likely to be suitable and who isn’t….if anything my point proves, in the case of Ayala that even if your profile indicates a lack of fit, you can adapt and evolve into what they want.

But bearing in mind it’s the managers neck on the block, it also has to be his decision on who he plays, right?

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

There’s nothing cynical or biased about it. They record absolutely everything…they know where players are strong and where they aren’t and that helps them to form opinions on who is likely to be suitable and who isn’t….if anything my point proves, in the case of Ayala that even if your profile indicates a lack of fit, you can adapt and evolve into what they want.

But bearing in mind it’s the managers neck on the block, it also has to be his decision on who he plays, right?

If you say so it must be.

As is plain to see I was on about 'fitness'

Edited by AllRoverAsia

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Remember when some on here tried to make out Nuttall just needed more starts… now plying his trade for the team bottom of the Conference.

Nuttall is a real shame. Guy has all the attributes and hopes were high for him. The main problem for him is his internal motivation….when he was breaking through and couldn’t stop scoring he had his why…he wanted to secure himself and family. His downturn in attitude and form came almost simultaneously with the new contract he signed where he obv thought he’d ‘made it’…things turned quickly afterwards and we got good money for him tbf.

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

If you say so it must be.

Just my opinion. I try to make it based on evidence and fact rather than fiction.

Dacks fitness forms a part of the profile I mentioned. His ability to close down etc.

If your opinion is that there’s some conspiracy theory or ‘bias’ then, cool. 👍🏼

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I'd be surprised if we retain Ayala end of season tbh. Prem level box defender but lower half championship in terms of distribution and mobility. On top of that loads of injuries and expensive.

They'd rather use the budget for another Hyam I'm sure. Also Carter and Phillips are coming on. We haven't missed Ayala being out I would say.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I’m convinced there’s no club like ours where fans are determined to blame others, even at the expense of reality.

The overwhelming majority of fans in the ground went over the top with their support of BBD as they could see he needed encouragement. A few grumbles at mistakes don’t equate to ‘putting pressure on him at home’.

If that's what you saw from the fans then fair enough. my own personal experiance was that of many fans shouting "He's $h!t, get him off!" Which I thought was out of order. I agree that he definitely needed encouragement. Someone else also responded that he gained strength in that the time that coincided with lockdown which could very well have been what helped him improve tbf. That and playing international football. Just going off what I saw for myself. That's all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s not rocket science lads and Brereton isn’t some type of anomaly. When he signed he was 19, had represented England at a few youth levels and had tore Arsenal a new arse in an FA cup game. The potential was there…the problem was, he wasn’t ready and some fans (not all ) are VERY quick to write off young players.

At the start of the season I asked a member of the current coaching team who they thought were the diamonds in our academy and the answer was instant…”Ash Phillips, Adam Wharton and Harry Leonard. We expect Phillips to be a £25m defender inside 12-18 months…he’s already got PL teams all over him”

Incidentally, he also suggested that the two he was most worried about based on JDT’s expectations were Ayala and Dack as there was a suggestion inside the club that they might not fit….it seems the former has got over those worries, the latter not so much.

The point I make is, ‘They’ know who are the better players etc. If you listen to the rumblings you can see who hasn’t had a chance.

I haven’t seen enough of Vale but they obv see something in him. Fingers crossed they’re right…tbf they’re not often wrong these days on youth! 600+ and counting!

Phillips will be a £25m defender inside 12-18 months? That is one hell of a statement and based on the Buckley £10m stuff, whichever staff member you know that keep divulging this seems to be prone to a spot of hyperbole!

Our fans were brilliant with Brereton but his rise was somewhat sudden, it is not a problem if people give their opinion on here, it makes no difference. If everyone just shrugged and said "they know better than me" then this messageboard wouldn't exist.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Cuppliance said:

If that's what you saw from the fans then fair enough. my own personal experiance was that of many fans shouting "He's $h!t, get him off!" Which I thought was out of order. I agree that he definitely needed encouragement. Someone else also responded that he gained strength in that the time that coincided with lockdown which could very well have been what helped him improve tbf. That and playing international football. Just going off what I saw for myself. That's all.

Not my experience. He was genuinely always supported by the rovers following. Naturally if he did something bad there were groans and noises of frustration, but that applies to most players. An odd person might shout out that he was shit, just like an odd person might should out that Pickering or Dolan is shit. But I don't think you'd say the crowd were on Picking or Dolan's back or unsupportive at matches.

It was different in the pubs and on social media where he was getting constantly called out as being nowhere near good enough.

But at the games I don't think he lacked support at all.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Cuppliance said:

It’s not ideal, but a few groans or frustrated comments about getting him off are part and parcel of being in a crowd.

My bet would be that BBD never heard any of them….

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Phillips will be a £25m defender inside 12-18 months? That is one hell of a statement and based on the Buckley £10m stuff, whichever staff member you know that keep divulging this seems to be prone to a spot of hyperbole!

Our fans were brilliant with Brereton but his rise was somewhat sudden, it is not a problem if people give their opinion on here, it makes no difference. If everyone just shrugged and said "they know better than me" then this messageboard wouldn't exist.

Just opinions mate. If you don’t like them then Scroll on…similarly if you’d prefer to watch a team every other week whilst spending the rest of your time doing whatever it is that you do and believe that your view on the ability of players and team is better than those of the people who are employed as professionals in the sport and work with the lads day in day out…then feel free crack on with that too 👍🏼

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'd be surprised if we retain Ayala end of season tbh. Prem level box defender but lower half championship in terms of distribution and mobility. On top of that loads of injuries and expensive.

They'd rather use the budget for another Hyam I'm sure. Also Carter and Phillips are coming on. We haven't missed Ayala being out I would say.

I agree, I think he’ll leave at the end of the season. Fwiw - I would offer him another year. Imo he is arguable the best defender in the league and I think he’d be a wonderful option next season to help Phillips breakthrough and play in and around his injuries. It might come down to finance…

I for one feel better about going to Hull this weekend with Ayala in the team. Him, Hyam and Wharton is a formidable 3.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Just opinions mate. If you don’t like them then Scroll on…similarly if you’d prefer to watch a team every other week whilst spending the rest of your time doing whatever it is that you do and believe that your view on the ability of players and team is better than those of the people who are employed as professionals in the sport and work with the lads day in day out…then feel free crack on with that too 👍🏼

If I thought that then I would apply for the managers job every time it became available. I am well aware that I am not as educated but equally I am at least in an opinion to be validating in having my own opinions, hence why I (and many others) come onto this messageboard to share them.

• Like 4

Ayala brings some vital experience around the place and there isn't much of that around at the min. You can see the calmness he brings to the pitch although mobility will be an increasing issue we do drop very deep very easily when he's playing.

I wouldn't be so quick to let him go though operating the way we do now developing players. All depends on what happens between now and the end of the season of course and how he copes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I agree, I think he’ll leave at the end of the season. Fwiw - I would offer him another year. Imo he is arguable the best defender in the league and I think he’d be a wonderful option next season to help Phillips breakthrough and play in and around his injuries. It might come down to finance…

I for one feel better about going to Hull this weekend with Ayala in the team. Him, Hyam and Wharton is a formidable 3.

I'd give Ayala another year, and try to persuade him to become our defensive coach.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Just my opinion. I try to make it based on evidence and fact rather than fiction.

Dacks fitness forms a part of the profile I mentioned. His ability to close down etc.

If your opinion is that there’s some conspiracy theory or ‘bias’ then, cool. 👍🏼

we dont close down tho

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

So Lowe was good? Walton? Steele? professionals certainly thought they were when fans knew they werent. Get off your fckin high horse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I'd give Ayala another year, and try to persuade him to become our defensive coach.

Just give him the winter off each year and he'll snap up that position for sure. 

Edited by JacknOry