BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Gonna hazard a guess that JDT had never heard of George Hirst until a week before we signed him. I highly doubt he was chomping at the bit all summer to get him in like Gregg is trying to make out.

I'd also wager if you are recruiting these types for Bodo Glimt they'd look better in that league.

Hirst seemed to have a good season a level below and i think it's obvious that is where he's probably best suited. Another season or two there and a bit more strength about him from regular games and he might be ready to step up.

If he was one of ours coming through we'd look at him and say he needs to be more robust and needs loaning out to get games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'd also wager if you are recruiting these types for Bodo Glimt they'd look better in that league.

Hirst seemed to have a good season a level below and i think it's obvious that is where he's probably best suited. Another season or two there and a bit more strength about him from regular games and he might be ready to step up.

If he was one of ours coming through we'd look at him and say he needs to be more robust and needs loaning out to get games.

Agreed. He's shown far less than Joe Nuttall did, and he was promptly shifted out.

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Hirst looked a well beater on YouTube! 

Think that's a few peoples "Scouting" techniques on here.

And maybe if we're linked with a player then people say that they're the ones we should sign! 

• Like 1

The transfer window has brought back lots of ITK stuff regarding the inner workings of the dressing room and the exact wage of players which is always really reliable!...

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

I think we need an experienced midfielder. 26-30y/o, possibly from Europe and definitely a permanent addition. Morton will go back either this window or the next and what we'll be left with is high potential, but inexperienced midfielders. 

I'd be taking Conor Bradley from Bolton for the 2nd half of the season. 

And I'd be looking for a player who can bang 5/6 free kicks in between now and the end of the season. Given how many of our games come down to one goal, or the first goal.

I definitely think an experienced midfielder is a must, I mentioned Ben Pearson but under Venkys, even unwanted Bournemouth players may be beyond us. We have an experience void in there though 100%, and often our young central midfielders get caught ahead of the ball.

5 or 6 free kicks in half a season is a ridiculous ask, we would need Juninho back from his Lyon days. But we do also have poor set piece takers to be fair, Morton isn't much use and Brereton taking free kicks reminds me of when Kane did for England just as the best striker.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Alan Nixon is reporting that Blackburn Rovers are interested in Palace right winger Malcolm Ebiowei

Probably a rumour to be dismissed based on the source, no doubt he has linked him to half of the football league to cover all bases.

I did watch him a few times at Derby and he is a talent and he would give us pace that we don't really have, but it is hard to get excited about a loanee with less than 20 league appearances. I would also prefer a right footer that plays on the left to allow Brereton to potentially play down the middle at times. 

Suppose with any scope for raising and reinvesting funds being blocked by the owners, the remit for this window will be to beg, steal and borrow to get players in.

I haven't bothered with the youtube videos either, surely a lesson has been learnt after the Hirst fiasco!

Edited by roversfan99

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I remember Wigan fans singing his praises before we played them away this season. Apparently he absolutely ruined them at Fratton Park when they played their last season.

No doubt that he has badly disappointed this season, but I still suspect that there's a decent player there that will show some ability at some point. I just doubt that it will be with us this season. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

And maybe if we're linked with a player then people say that they're the ones we should sign! 

No he didn't, he looked pretty average.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Ins:

- LB as backup to pickering 

- RB to play as Brittain is injured most of the time

- Midfielder that can drive forward with the ball and create space

- Pacey Striker

Outs:

- Rankin Costello, yes had a few games but not good enough at this level.

- Mola

- Hirst / Vale, both not top half Championship players.

- Markanday, send on loan if JDT doenst fancy him (which he clearly doesn't) 

Markanday imo, offers more than Gallagher, but what do i know 

• Like 1

I would be amazed if we brought 4 or 5 in personally. The question with full backs is how many do we get, especially as they are likely to be loans and will teams send them out to be subs?

At right back, we have Brittain who is injured, unsure for how long still? Rankin Costello has been excellent lately but is he good or reliable enough for an extended period, and how bad is his injury? Carter is also back and is decent cover for right back.

At left back, we are totally reliant on Pickering as the other 2 are shocking.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
48 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Markanday imo, offers more than Gallagher, but what do i know 

How could we know? Markanday has barely played for the first team and Gallagher has scored for the first team before…

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would be amazed if we brought 4 or 5 in personally. The question with full backs is how many do we get, especially as they are likely to be loans and will teams send them out to be subs?

At right back, we have Brittain who is injured, unsure for how long still? Rankin Costello has been excellent lately but is he good or reliable enough for an extended period, and how bad is his injury? Carter is also back and is decent cover for right back.

Don't believe Brittain will be seen this month, a month full of very 'winnable' games annoyingly!

There is definitely scope for arguing how good Gallagher is, but not IMO that he is below Championship standard. Hirst and Vale haven't scored a league goal for us between them, so that is different, neither is IMO near the level.

He scores a reasonable amount every year, never prolific, but he definitely provides enough to justifiably be considered a reasonable Championship player to some degree.

I do like the look of Markanday from glimpses we have seen mainly in cups and would like to see more but they aren't comparable at this stage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Don't believe Brittain will be seen this month, a month full of very 'winnable' games annoyingly!

I suppose there is only 3 games, potentially 2 (league) if we win on Sunday, but would like him back ASAP, agreed. Lets hope he stays fit then too.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

And like a meat beater in real life

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Nixon didn't say he was joining us.He said we had made an offer.

Facts are he was first in with most our transfers last summer

He clearly wasnt on the pulse as he specifically said we want him and within 24 hours he is going elsewhere. He will get some right when he links players to loads of clubs at once but some hang on his every word.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He clearly wasnt on the pulse as he specifically said we want him and within 24 hours he is going elsewhere. He will get some right when he links players to loads of clubs at once but some hang on his every word.

He said Hull wanted him days ago even in today's "story" he says Hull are in for him and Rovers have a job convincing Palace that he would get in our team and if our style suits him.

I deffo don't hang on his every word and like most journalists comes out with a lot of nonsense, still tho reading his Twitter he did call an awful lot of signings right in the summer and not just for Rovers 

5 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I watched him for hearts last season, slow and shite

I've seen live this season and he is more than decent enough in the championship. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I did watch him a few times at Derby and he is a talent and he would give us pace that we don't really have, but it is hard to get excited about a loanee with less than 20 league appearances. I would also prefer a right footer that plays on the left to allow Brereton to potentially play down the middle at times. 

Yes he played against us at Ewood. Did fine in that game. 

what sort of signing would excited you? 

Maybe look to sign Cantwell then from Norwich

Suppose with any scope for raising and reinvesting funds being blocked by the owners, the remit for this window will be to beg, steal and borrow to get players in.

Not really. Its about being smart about targeting players who will grow and improve here regardless of the cost. If we sign these players someone mentioned yesterday is that beg, steal and borrow? Also none of us know what our transfer budget is do we? 

I haven't bothered with the youtube videos either, surely a lesson has been learnt after the Hirst fiasco!

Well that down to the person. Some people will enjoy watching them and seeing what the videos shown. Similar to when you are interested in other clubs fans opinion on players we want to sign. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Alot depends on who leaves or if Hirst and Mola loans are cancelled or players want to end the loan or clubs do. Someone like Edun might want to leave to play football or Ash Phillips might want to leave on loan to play some 1st team football 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

More Nixon inspired bullshit rumours. Next.

The deal isn't done yet for him. Rovers are interested in a player. Nixon hasn't said we will deffo so how is bullshit. You seems to struggle with the difference between us being interested in a player and the fact we are deffo signing him. 

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I've seen live this season and he is more than decent enough in the championship. 

Yes he played against us at Ewood. Did fine in that game. 

what sort of signing would excited you? 

Maybe look to sign Cantwell then from Norwich

Not really. Its about being smart about targeting players who will grow and improve here regardless of the cost. If we sign these players someone mentioned yesterday is that beg, steal and borrow? Also none of us know what our transfer budget is do we? 

Well that down to the person. Some people will enjoy watching them and seeing what the videos shown. Similar to when you are interested in other clubs fans opinion on players we want to sign. 

Alot depends on who leaves or if Hirst and Mola loans are cancelled or players want to end the loan or clubs do. Someone like Edun might want to leave to play football or Ash Phillips might want to leave on loan to play some 1st team football 

The deal isn't done yet for him. Rovers are interested in a player. Nixon hasn't said we will deffo so how is bullshit. You seems to struggle with the difference between us being interested in a player and the fact we are deffo signing him. 

I can't see Norwich helping us out with Cantwell.

• Like 1