BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

Left a comment the other day but if we keep Diaz a right back understudy, a lump of a central midfielder and either an attacking midfielder or a left footed central mid who doesn't play like Morton and Buckley and allows Diaz to attack more than defend makes the world of difference. 

If we do lose Diaz and make some spendable money then I think the manager will have a rethink of how we play and embed the passing game more.  Currently we piddle about with it waiting for the long ball to Diaz on the break as for me we don't have bar Dack someone playing between the opposition's midfield and defence.  A striker to replace some goals, a tough tackling centre mid, a back up right back on loan and a creative more attacking midfielder would change the team overnight

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I agree but there are replacements if he goes was what I was saying.  JCH is quality mate, if you think 28 is aged then you've a problem.  Hardie gets goals and assists and would be perfect for us, nothing like Rhodes

Poor response Joe, with you being a scout supposedly....both very good players

I said the lad was aeging, which at 28 he is. He's far from past it, which I didn't claim.

There's no "supposedly" about it. I've worked at three clubs and currently have a full time position.

For someone who spends a lot of time telling everyone about his work in football to just lazily dismiss players with rubbish reasons when he's clearly not watched them, soz mate. Not for me. Unless you think 28 is past it....🤷‍♂️

Not personal at all, professional 

I've seen both players in question multiple times in a professional capacity, and JCH several times as a supporter. I'm not dismissing them at all.

Your messages are entirely personal and I don't really know why. I'm just offering my opinion.

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Obviously BBD is quality and could play at a higher level than the Championship. However, he isn't scoring and besides his admittedly very good defensive work, if he isn't scoring he doesn't offer a lot. If we could replace him with a central striker who can score goals and someone to play in BBD's position on the left who can create then I don't think we'd lose a lot. Obviously easy on paper, but hard to do in January. 

He's got the best scoring record of the players we have at the club, but I get your point. I just can't see us investing that money, so I'd rather stick with the hand we've got in a player we know is capable of very strong performances.

For someone who spends a lot of time telling everyone about his work in football

My work in football is almost exclusively brought up by a handful of posters on this forum, including yourself... and not including me! It's not something I actively discuss whatsoever. I'm on here as a Rovers fan, not as a professional in my field.

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

My work in football is almost exclusively brought up by a handful of posters on this forum, including yourself... and not including me! It's not something I actively discuss whatsoever. I'm on here as a Rovers fan, not as a professional in my field.

Fair play to you JoeH - it can't be in your line of work, seeing everything through the blue & white tinted spectacles of the committed Rovers fan! Your insights are much appreciated however, when shared on here, so do keep em coming 🙂

5 minutes ago, booth said:

Madness if anyone doesn’t think we  need a striker. Look at the xG, look at the goal difference. We aren’t scoring enough goals.

It’s a big reason we can’t come back from behind and aren’t nicking any points from losing positions.

Aye, in an ideal world we'd keep BBD and add 1 or 2 strikers this January. My heart is set on Dembele and the bearded wonder from Malmo. This is based on absolutely fuck all knowledge of the bearded one and scant knowledge of Dembele other than he's small and quick.🙂 

Oh, and Armstrong back on loan would be good. 

If Carling did Rovers transfer windows....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Aye, in an ideal world we'd keep BBD and add 1 or 2 strikers this January. My heart is set on Dembele and the bearded wonder from Malmo. This is based on absolutely fuck all knowledge of the bearded one and scant knowledge of Dembele other than he's small and quick.🙂 

Oh, and Armstrong back on loan would be good. 

If Carling did Rovers transfer windows....

Dembele is a winger, looking at his stats he does score goals but either as many or less than Gallagher. He also plays in BBDs position but also can be more central.

Ideally we need a midfielder and a striker. Dembele would be a luxury I think, I can see why TM wanted him.

16 minutes ago, booth said:

Madness if anyone doesn’t think we  need a striker. Look at the xG, look at the goal difference. We aren’t scoring enough goals.

It’s a big reason we can’t come back from behind and aren’t nicking any points from losing positions.

Agreed, we also need some pace/ a good ball carrier. We must have one of the slowest team in the league.

• Like 1

I'd got for Armstrong on loan too. It's obviously not worked out for him at Soton, the team is struggling and he's still not playing as far as I'm aware. He must be champing at the bit to get back playing first team football and scoring goals again and we know he loves Rovers. Not the big, ugly bruising CF I think we need but he'd be more of an asset than Gallagher, Hirst and the the others

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Such an embodiment of a backwards club that we dont sell an asset (even if it was allowed by the owners) whose contract will otherwise run out because for some reason they wouldnt allow reinvestment. It is literally the opposite of well run clubs like Brentford and Brighton.

Clubs like Brighton in the PL? Because their financial/league situation is directly comparable to ours..?

If we sold BBD, fans would scream that the owners lack ambition. The owners write off a potential transfer fee to keep hold of our best player and we’re a ‘backwards club’ who don’t want to get promoted.

Can’t win.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I'd got for Armstrong on loan too. It's obviously not worked out for him at Soton, the team is struggling and he's still not playing as far as I'm aware. He must be champing at the bit to get back playing first team football and scoring goals again and we know he loves Rovers. Not the big, ugly bruising CF I think we need but he'd be more of an asset than Gallagher, Hirst and the the others

Sadly, I don't think we've got a chance of that happening. He's not starting, but he tends to come off the bench plenty, so they won't be letting him go unless they bring in other options first, I imagine. 

Even if they do, it'll probably be to whoever can stump up the most wages, so I think a few other Championship clubs will be in front of us in the queue. This is all before whether Armstrong himself would be open to coming back. 

• Like 2

If the ‘model’ is to sell players on for a profit, to be a ‘trading club’, then be that club. The fact that fans might be upset shouldn’t come into it for second.

But if the model is actually ‘whatever the whim of the owners is at the moment’, and current whim is ‘they’ve decided not to sell BBD or Rothwell and they can go for nowt’. Then fair enough, it’s their club - but maybe stop going on about ‘being a Brentford’, ‘or developing players for profit to reinvest’ or ‘FFP’.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Clubs like Brighton in the PL? Because their financial/league situation is directly comparable to ours..?

If we sold BBD, fans would scream that the owners lack ambition. The owners write off a potential transfer fee to keep hold of our best player and we’re a ‘backwards club’ who don’t want to get promoted.

Can’t win.

Brighton nearly dropped out of the football league in 1997 and sold their ground. They were in League One in 2010. Now they're out of sight for us - we're literally begging for the scraps off their table this transfer window with JVH. Sadly they're a fantastically run club. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Can’t win.

It's all about re-investing the money wisely. 

If we just sold Brereton Diaz and threw the money into the black hole that is our debts then yes we'd be right to scream and moan. If he's sold and we bring in two very good players then it's a sensible piece of business.

I'm genuinely curious whether Broughton has been able to persuade the owners that selling Brereton Diaz for £8m this transfer window is the right thing to do - I hope he has as that'd mean we'd finally have someone in charge who's building a sustainable operating model for the club. 

1 hour ago, booth said:

We need a striker, but we also seem some players to create chances for them.
Though the chances may come if we replaced Gally, so many forward moves break down as soon as the ball goes to him. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

He’d certainly be good on the counter attack, which is often when we look most threatening. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
8 minutes ago, nbdelboy said:

selfish player in a team sport. good for the goal charts, but not the league position.

Funnily enough, that’s what we need at the minute, we aren’t just goal shy, we are shot shy too!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dan said:

He’d certainly be good on the counter attack, which is often when we look most threatening. 

He'd also be good for the ball over the top which seems to be about our only attacking play at the moment! No complaints, and no idea why it wasn't done sooner. Teams press us high up and leave a big gap in behind their defence. AA would be superb at exploiting that as he's very good at running off the shoulder of the last defenders.

• Like 3