BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

7 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

If he's the lad I think he is, he scored the winner when they beat Roma. He caught my eye when they played Celtic and scored that night too. Could be decent.

Worth £4.5m according to Transfermarkt with 12 months left on his contract, so I doubt it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

If he's the lad I think he is, he scored the winner when they beat Roma. He caught my eye when they played Celtic and scored in both games against them too. Could be decent.

Edit: It is the same lad and he looks a player.

All I know is that he’s mint on Football Manager. We’d need money in the bank to get that lad. 

Has a look of JDT actually, could be his long lost son!

Perhaps he's willing to break the bank to bring him in... build a relationship with him, make up for the lost years etc.

https://img.a.transfermarkt.technology/portrait/big/499758-1558516818.png?lm=1

Nah come on he's 4.5m, he aint coming here. What's Berget up to?

Edited by TheRevAshton

34 minutes ago, JoeH said:

@J*BStill can't seem to upload video. Was going to put JB's clips in from the game vs Birmingham but keep getting this error code.

598958468_Screenshot2023-01-09at15_51_03.png.b71547a8e9380dc5d2d415073e969da6.png

I wouldn't upload a video file anyway. Upload it to YouTube then embed it here then you aren't killing the sites bandwidth and storage space 👍

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Anybody know anything about Hugo Vetlesen? A Norwegian central midfielder that plays for Bodo Glimt.

He is supposedly one of the players that GB spoke with last week, according to the same couple of people who claimed we had interviewed three potential signings.

I don't know how good he is or how realistic the move is, but the Bodo link makes it sound like a plausible rumour.

I've seen quite a lot of him. He was voted the best player in the league this season, great allround midifielder who added a lot of goals to his game this season (16 in 29 matches).  He also is pretty young with a lot of experience.

Has been a major part of their European success, so I'd expect him to be both expensive (as Bodo has a lot of money from Europe, which they are throwing around now). Would also think the chances of choosing Championship to be pretty slim. 

I like the link though, if true they are at least reaching from the top shelf of Scandinavian players. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

The issue remains that he's made of glass , so we can't really rely on him.

Not the only issue. Yes he has played well recently, but time will tell if it's a purple patch or if he has finally clicked. He doesn't exactly have a lot of credit in the bank. But yes I'm expecting him to break down imminently.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Not the only issue. Yes he has played well recently, but time will tell if it's a purple patch or if he has finally clicked. He doesn't exactly have a lot of credit in the bank. But yes I'm expecting him to break down imminently.

Might be being too generous, but I'm willing to put his less than impressive performances over the last couple of years down to his injury problems. He was never going to show much if he could only manage the odd appearance here and there before breaking down again.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Worth 4.5m, contact expires in December. Would cost a good few bob I bet... therefore I doubt it.

It's probably just a case of people putting 2 and 2 together, with the whole Broughton/Bodo link.

Watched a video of him and he looks superb. One year left on his contract could put him in the £2.5 million range. We'd have to have been telling porkies about what we have to spend if we are interested. 

If there is any truth at all in the rumour, it strikes me the same as the Bosnian defender we were after in the summer. Its a long shot and unlikely. But you might as well try so long as you don't miss out on other targets if it becomes unrealistic. 

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Anybody know anything about Hugo Vetlesen? A Norwegian central midfielder that plays for Bodo Glimt.

He is supposedly one of the players that GB spoke with last week, according to the same couple of people who claimed we had interviewed three potential signings.

I don't know how good he is or how realistic the move is, but the Bodo link makes it sound like a plausible rumour.

Know nothing about him, but looking at some YouTube videos he looks like another Norwegian more than comfortable using either foot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Yes what @briansolsaid.

One the best players in the league last season and I think he got his debut on the national team as well.

I felt that he stagnated at his former club, but has really blossomed at Bodø/Glimt. Scoring a lot of goals from his midfield position. I would be very surprised if he ends up here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, briansol said:

I've seen quite a lot of him. He was voted the best player in the league this season, great allround midifielder who added a lot of goals to his game this season (16 in 29 matches).  He also is pretty young with a lot of experience.

Has been a major part of their European success, so I'd expect him to be both expensive (as Bodo has a lot of money from Europe, which they are throwing around now). Would also think the chances of choosing Championship to be pretty slim. 

I like the link though, if true they are at least reaching from the top shelf of Scandinavian players. 

Thanks for providing the detail. Sounds like he would be a very good signing, but maybe unrealistic for us if his price tag is expected to be high. I like the look of him from what I've seen on the YouTube videos.

If price is an issue, the only way it could happen, I guess, is if the owners are persuaded that this is a "special case" and that they could make a big return on him in the future. Unlikely, but let's see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

I wouldn't upload a video file anyway. Upload it to YouTube then embed it here then you aren't killing the sites bandwidth and storage space 👍

Basically, this @JoeH but @StubbsUKwill be able to give an even more technical answer. 

A bit of a faff and we are looking for a solution but haven’t got one any better than upload elsewhere and link (yet). 

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

It's mad how different people can see different games. Thought he defended well and looked sharp on the ball. If not good, he was at least average and for me far from out of his depth.

Yep, football is very subjective and you can have 2 people stood next to each other with very different opinions. I thought that Hernandez (if it was him) had his number and beat him a few times and he also was very limited on the ball.

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

Thanks for providing the detail. Sounds like he would be a very good signing, but maybe unrealistic for us if his price tag is expected to be high. I like the look of him from what I've seen on the YouTube videos.

If price is an issue, the only way it could happen, I guess, is if the owners are persuaded that this is a "special case" and that they could make a big return on him in the future. Unlikely, but let's see.

According to Transfermarkt his contract ends on 31/12/2023 so we may be able to get him on a cheaper deal.

You just hope we can get it over the line without one of the parachute payment clubs snapping him up, similar to Ahmedhodzic who’s been on the best defenders in the league this season.

• Like 1

we certainly need to bolster the midfield,jdt has realised travis is`nt good enough,morton is airy fairy,buckley could`nt tackle a fish supper and garrett and adam wharton are  young lads at the start of their  careers,the middle of the park is where we are weak,looking back at some of the horror shows this season,it`s where we have lost the games

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

we certainly need to bolster the midfield,jdt has realised travis is`nt good enough,morton is airy fairy,buckley could`nt tackle a fish supper and garrett and adam wharton are  young lads at the start of their  careers,the middle of the park is where we are weak,looking back at some of the horror shows this season,it`s where we have lost the games

When I was thinking about the Dingle game I thought we’ve got a better keeper, better centre halves and a better striker. Where we were going to fall down was centre midfield and that is a key position.

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When I was thinking about the Dingle game I thought we’ve got a better keeper, better centre halves and a better striker. Where we were going to fall down was centre midfield and that is a key position.

i think the pne game was worse,run off our feet and outworked  by a bunch of journeymen,truly was shocking

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

BBD won’t play up front. If he was going to do it he’d have done it by now. His strength is running from deep wide areas with the ball. Not playing with his back to goal. You can forget about that one. He needs to stay where he is and we need to sign a Gallagher replacement who actually likes playing up front.

It might be option if we can sign a quality left sided player like Cantwell or Dembele

7 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

Ahh fair enough!

I think we're desperately in need of a gritty CDM... Ben Pearson on loan with an option to buy, that would be ideal.

Fair enough I just think we had 5 players completing for 2 spots already. Do we need more?

7 hours ago, rover23 said:

Djed Spence - not had a kick for Spurs but tore the Championship apart from RB last season. 

Joe Gelhardt - not getting much game time at Leeds, they’ve just signed a new striker and linked with another £30m move. 

Sam Surridge - not playing at Forest, 7 goals in 20 games last season, including some appearances off the bench. 

Gelhardt isn't available on loan yet. Might be if they sign players. Do we wait or not? 

Surridge has been playing recently for them mostly of the bench I think

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

3) How much of that extra money is already eaten up by a higher wage bill and bigger spending over the last few years?

Boro spendig

this summer spent 10 million whilst receiving 26 million

last season spent 13 mil. received 2 million

20/21 season before spent 3 mil. received 500k

19/20 season spent 3.5 received 14 million

18/19 season spent 21 million received 48 million. 

so over 5 year period they spent 50 million and received 70.5 million. 

Middlesbrough FC - Transfers 18/19 | Transfermarkt

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It might be option if we can sign a quality left sided player like Cantwell or Dembele

Fair enough I just think we had 5 players completing for 2 spots already. Do we need more?

Gelhardt isn't available on loan yet. Might be if they sign players. Do we wait or not? 

Surridge has been playing recently for them mostly of the bench I think

Boro spendig

this summer spent 10 million whilst receiving 26 million

last season spent 13 mil. received 2 million

20/21 season before spent 3 mil. received 500k

19/20 season spent 3.5 received 14 million

18/19 season spent 21 million received 48 million. 

so over 5 year period they spent 50 million and received 70.5 million. 

Middlesbrough FC - Transfers 18/19 | Transfermarkt

And wages? After all, we're supposed to believe we made Lenihan a top earner offer here which they subsequently blew out of the water. He won't be top earner there I wouldn't think so care to calculate how much they are shelling out a year each year on wages.

As clubs know all too well having a few thousand extra bums on seats every other week for 25 days a year doesn't pay that much in the scheme of running a football club.

Boro have spent big money because they aren't as brainless with player contracts as we are.

In midfield, its not about numbers, its surely about quality. It would be a real statement of intent to get someone like Ben Pearson, Lewis O'Brien, Jack Colback or Dan Barlaser who would be a considerable upgrade on what we have. You then can decide whether to have 6 and some good strength in depth or move someone on, either sending Morton back or loaning out Garrett or even Wharton, but likely the former, ready to be a strong option next season.

Regarding an attacker, the focus has to be a central striker. We currently have Gallagher who isnt prolific and is always injured, Dolan isnt prolific and is equally useful out wide and Vale clearly isnt getting regular minutes for a side serious about promotion. 

I think ideally we would probably sell Brereton for maybe 10m and reinvest half on a striker and get a few more on top with the rest, including a left sided wide man and a central midfielder.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1