BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Clever business would have been to sign someone with ability. Hirst has only returned because Leicester said so, and he cost us points in the absence of an adequate striker being signed in his place.

Yet Leicester, a premier league club, gave him a long term deal before sending him off on loan… so im guessing they see some ability in him?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Yet Leicester, a premier league club, gave him a long term deal before sending him off on loan… so im guessing they see some ability in him?

A professional club making such a decision does not automatically make it correct. 

It made sense for them to try and take a low risk (we would have paid his wage or much of his wages this season) with an chance of a reward, they will barely have seen him play.

25 minutes ago, imy9 said:

The fact they immediately sent him out on loan with an option to buy tells me they were just trying to protect their investment and maximise their return. He had a year left on his deal before he signed it so his market value was reduced.

• Moderation Lead
7 hours ago, Danny O.Brien said:

I wish everyone would stop raving over Morton. He's decent yes but had got one assist and no goals in twenty starts. You'd think he was pirlo the way some people go on about him. If we could get better we should absolutely end the loan. But doubt we can or will.

I’ve barely seen anyone rave about him, in fact it’s largely the opposite on here!

1 hour ago, rover23 said:

Charlton set to land Edun on loan until the end of the season. 

James Brown looks like he’s going back out on loan to Bristol Rovers

With talk of Mola going back to be loaned out elsewhere, and our only other left back being Pickering, no stranger to injuries, surely this means we will be in the market for a left back.

5 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The frustration with Morton for me is IMO he's blocking Wharton's progression with us and I personally don't believe the Liverpool lad to be a better player, which leads me to think that we have an agreement with Liverpool that he must start the majority of matches. If our whole club philosophy is to now increase value in players, then Wharton should be starting (granted with spells out of the 11 given his age).

If Rovers do then that's a daft agreement. Surely those contracts would be unenforceable? What if Morton was a dolloper? A manager should be free to choose who they play in any match. Much like when teams play a weakened side (see Huddersfield the season Rovers went down to League 1) they should be allowed to play anyone.

Imagine if Rovers had done the same with Hirst? Calamity.

Whilst I'm at it, do loaner clubs still attach clauses that said player isn't allowed to play against them? If so, they should be banned too. A team get a loan player, he's theirs and should be available for each and every game regardless of opponent. 

7 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Wouldn't be impressed if Geldhardt was our incoming striker. Sounds like another Hirst. Must do better.

Rubbish. Nothing like him.  Obviously you have no idea what type of player he is.  I'd say he's more like a Dolan figure, links rhe play nicely and decent pace...

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

If Rovers do then that's a daft agreement. Surely those contracts would be unenforceable? What if Morton was a dolloper? A manager should be free to choose who they play in any match. Much like when teams play a weakened side (see Huddersfield the season Rovers went down to League 1) they should be allowed to play anyone.

Imagine if Rovers had done the same with Hirst? Calamity.

Whilst I'm at it, do loaner clubs still attach clauses that said player isn't allowed to play against them? If so, they should be banned too. A team get a loan player, he's theirs and should be available for each and every game regardless of opponent. 

Those contracts are very much enforceable as things stand and are fairly commonplace. They don't literally prevent the player from being dropped, but they impose financial penalties if the player doesn't play a certain amount of games (I assume if the player is injured or otherwise suspended there is no penalty). I'm not sure on the ins and outs of real world penalty arrangements, I'd imagine they vary, but on FM (20 at least) there is an option for a monthly fee if the player plays, and another fee can be set for if the player doesn't play (on the game, clubs will almost always accept the same fee for both, but I think that's an oversight).

Loaner clubs don't attach those clauses where they can't play against the parent club anymore, because NO players are allowed, by the rules of the game, to play against their parent clubs anymore. This was introduced to prevent conflict of interest. Imagine if you borrowed a club's goalie, and he let in a couple of howlers against them, you'd be suspicious as hell.

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Rubbish. Nothing like him.  Obviously you have no idea what type of player he is.  I'd say he's more like a Dolan figure, links rhe play nicely and decent pace...

Would that be the Dolan that you despised at first, saying you had 12 year olds better than him?

Comments from supporters who have actually watched him suggest otherwise. "Dogshit". "A passenger". "Might as well have stayed at home and watched on TV for all the good he is." And it looks like League One clubs have been snooping around for his services, so a lower end Championship club (Wigan) is a move he won't have been expecting.

So, no, it's not rubbish. 🙃

Edited by goozburger
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Are you coming around a bit on Dolan then, or are you just making a style comparison? I thought Gelhardt was a bit more of an actual striker, but that's just off FM (although his profile will have been suggested by Wigan fans and maybe scouts on my version). He is reasonably pacey on it though, and a good dribbler. Only know about him at all as I signed him, loaned him out and sold him for a profit without ever playing him.

Edited by bluebruce

3 minutes ago, goozburger said:

For those getting their hopes up about Hugo Vetlesen, forget it. He's being linked with clubs like Benfica, and even then, he's well out of our price range.

Hopefully the bigger recruitment team that we've now got will have a few aces up their sleeves that we can afford and don't even know about yet.

If a player sounds like he would be excellent for us, and has other clubs sniffing, that's how I can usually tell they're not coming. If barely anybody has heard of or seen them, they may turn up. That's not necessarily a bad thing, our history is littered with players who seemed uninspiring signings and turned out to be fantastic, as well as many overpriced flops that really seemed like they should work out well on paper. We've long been a club that needs to hunt out the unpolished gems and shine them up.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If a player sounds like he would be excellent for us, and has other clubs sniffing, that's how I can usually tell they're not coming. If barely anybody has heard of or seen them, they may turn up. That's not necessarily a bad thing, our history is littered with players who seemed uninspiring signings and turned out to be fantastic, as well as many overpriced flops that really seemed like they should work out well on paper. We've long been a club that needs to hunt out the unpolished gems and shine them up.

As they say at Brentford and Brighton " If you've heard of them we're not interested in them".

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Would that be the Dolan that you despised at first, saying you had 12 year olds better than him?

Comments from supporters who have actually watched him suggest otherwise. "Dogshit". "A passenger". "Might as well have stayed at home and watched on TV for all the good he is." And it looks like League One clubs have been snooping around for his services, so a lower end Championship club (Wigan) is a move he won't have been expecting.

So, no, it's not rubbish. 🙃

Figure....his build.  I'm in no way comparing their footballing talents.  You looking for a scrap lah....?

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Are you coming around a bit on Dolan then, or are you just making a style comparison? I thought Gelhardt was a bit more of an actual striker, but that's just off FM (although his profile will have been suggested by Wigan fans and maybe scouts on my version). He is reasonably pacey on it though, and a good dribbler. Only know about him at all as I signed him, loaned him out and sold him for a profit without ever playing him.

I'm making the build comparison...stocky and low centre of gravity...obviously Burger boy wants a fight

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

The fact they immediately sent him out on loan with an option to buy tells me they were just trying to protect their investment and maximise their return. He had a year left on his deal before he signed it so his market value was reduced.

I just meant that clearly Leicester feel he is a player and at least championship level, considering he has proven himself at league 1 already. Some of the comments on here have suggested he is not even a professional footballer (!)

• Like 1