BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's played 18 times this season for Norwich - the Farke comment was, I assume, from years ago.

Personally I think it'd be a cracking signing if the price is right.

I clearly didn’t read that properly! Didn’t spot they were two separate quotes from Farke and Wagner. Obviously if he’s fit, that puts a different complexion on things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

He is showing some talent but hardly on a level that makes him immune from having a loan spell - he is certainly not as good as Harvey Elliot when he came to us - and if it is true that there is a bit of an attitude problem a spell at a club with lesser facilities might wake him up that that is what awaits him if he doesn't shape up.

Maybe not consistently, but I can’t think of a better individual performance this season than Wharton against Blackpool.

Elliott had his shortcomings, particularly defensively, but was still given plenty of game time. I’m not sure how pressing the need for game time for Wharton is in JDT/Broughton’s opinion - we have heard how he’s ahead of where they expect him to be. It’s undeniable though that when he’s on song Wharton improves our side massively.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phili said:

In the Hughes days it's how we ended up with Bellamy. We used to be really good at taking this type of player, rehabilitating his career and selling on at a profit.

Now after 12 years of total mismanagement even our fans are scarred of signing this type of player.

Santa Cruz also.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Not sure you can compare Cantwell to the likes of Bellamy/RSC. Both of the latter were proven quality regardless of attitude/fitness issues, whilst Cantwell has drastically declined over the past two years. 

Signing players with a bit of an attitude problem can be a risk worth taking if they've proven to be very good on the pitch, but when they've been rubbish and injury prone for around 24 months it's a different scenario.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DE. said:

Not sure you can compare Cantwell to the likes of Bellamy/RSC. Both of the latter were proven quality regardless of attitude/fitness issues, whilst Cantwell has drastically declined over the past two years. 

Signing players with a bit of an attitude problem can be a risk worth taking if they've proven to be very good on the pitch, but when they've been rubbish and injury prone for around 24 months it's a different scenario.

Agreed but the point is that we have to take some risks with transfers. We can't afford the finished article 

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, phili said:

Agreed but the point is that we have to take some risks with transfers. We can't afford the finished article 

Absolutely, we just have to weigh up the risk factor. For me personally Cantwell is too risky for anything other than a very cheap fee and wages that fit well within our typical payscale. 

• Like 6

If we could get Cantwell for £2m, on say £14k/w until 2026 - i'd certainly take the gamble.

The figures above are miniscule compared to what he'd be worth if we managed to get him back to his best, I think he just needs a completely fresh start.

Even if that failed, it wouldn't be our biggest waste of money in recent times.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

If we could get Cantwell for £2m, on say £14k/w until 2026 - i'd certainly take the gamble.

The figures above are miniscule compared to what he'd be worth if we managed to get him back to his best, I think he just needs a completely fresh start.

Send the club your account number and bank sort code if you’re that keen on a gamble.

I can’t imagine anything more likely to torpedo what bit of team spirit we may have at the moment. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

If we're spending £2m on Szmodics we can afford to gamble £2m on resurrecting Cantwell's career, just as long as his injury problems aren't chronic. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

I think it would be madness with £5million just spunked up the wall.

We need more signings like Hyam.  Proven and consistent performer with an excellent attitude and never injured - he should be the benchmark for future signings.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think it would be madness with £5million just spunked up the wall.

We need more signings like Hyam.  Proven and consistent performer with an excellent attitude and never injured - he should be the benchmark for future signings.

I'd go back to Coventry and try and tempt them to part ways with Hamer.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

jpvh on his way to feyenoord apparently???

Not in this window.

Feyenoord have spoken to van Hecke, but they apparently won't make a permanent move for him in this transfer window because their modest funds need to be focused on their midfield. A loan deal is impossible because Brighton already have the maximum amount of players (eight) loaned out abroad.

Van Hecke's contract is up in summer. From what I've read, the expectation is that he'll sign a new deal with Brighton, but it makes me wonder what he spoke to Feyenoord about if they knew he couldn't come on loan. A pre-contract agreement for summer, perhaps?

I don't know if a loan deal to Rovers would be on considering his contract status. I'd be delighted if it was!

Edited by goozburger
  • Like 1