BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

54 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Might be in a minority but i think Pears could turn out to be an ok keeper he just needs games now.

He's no Tommy K but he hasn't got half the experience of him, Wigan nightmare aside i certainly think he looks more capable than Steele ever did.

I agree regarding Pears. He was absolutely shocking in that cup game vs Wigan and it certainly knocked both his confidence and reputation. 

He has however had a number of very solid games and a couple of outstanding ones. Bournemouth away last year sticks in my head where he was integral to us coming away with 3 points. A loan and regular game time would be massive for his career. He needs a chance to prove he can be consistent.

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Would Chelsea be looking to sign him? They've already got Kepa and Mendy, that's like £100m spent on the 2 keepers they already have.

Man Utd might be looking more long term for a successor to De Gea but he's only 32.

I could see Spurs going for him though to replace Lloris.

Raya to Chelsea would make sense if you consider their current transfer strategy. Look at players other clubs are linked too and sign all of them! 

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

So we are strengthening a position which is arguably the strongest in the squad by signing a 27 year old incidentally from Broughton's old club. That scouting network must have worked overtime for this one. And what about ROI? Didn't Broughton specifically example a 27 year old midfielder with no ROI as a non starter?

To be fair signing a 27 year old goalie is probably the equivalent of signing a 23/24 year old outfield player. I imagine the club is looking to move Pears on. 

• Like 3

Makes sense to get a new keeper, especially an experienced one on a free. Our 3rd and 4th choice will potentially be leaving this summer and our 2nd choice wants to go out and play...and could possibly be loaned or sold this window or in the summer.  Everyone wants 'succession planning' so this is a perfect example of this. Good to see GB/JDT planning for the future, which everyone wants right?!

From the LT:-

Rovers are currently well-stocked in the goalkeeping department, though the move could free up Aynsley Pears for more regular first-team football with a loan move for the remainder of the season.

The 24-year-old has played only 13 times for Rovers since his arrival for an undisclosed fee in the summer of 2020, but has impressed in the cup competitions this season.

Pears is also into the last 18 months of his four-year deal.

Joe Hilton has been Rovers’ third-choice goalkeeper this season, but the 23-year-old, as well as 21-year-old Jordan Eastham are both out of contract in the summer, and neither have made a first-team experience.

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Yet Steele is contracted as the back up GK at a Premier League side.

Oh come on get real the guy has spent most of his career as a third choice apart from when he was here. It means jack shit if he was any good he'd have been challenging the first spot there but he never has.

If you're seriously telling me you rate him after his time here you've got goalkeeper issues !

Edited by tomphil

16 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I agree regarding Pears. He was absolutely shocking in that cup game vs Wigan and it certainly knocked both his confidence and reputation. 

He has however had a number of very solid games and a couple of outstanding ones. Bournemouth away last year sticks in my head where he was integral to us coming away with 3 points. A loan and regular game time would be massive for his career. He needs a chance to prove he can be consistent.

Keepers especially at his point need games if they are ever going to get established as a number one, anywhere not just at this level.

It's the only way you can iron out the mistakes look how Raya has done that and he's at a higher level than his error strewn time here. Ok Pears isn't going to be him but there is a steady keeper in there somewhere imo.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The 5 mil come from cos that would striker would cost to replace BBD's goals. Someone like Jerry Yates from Blackpool would cost that. 

I am sure they will be players on free transfers who have the quality we want but whether they will come here I don't know

Every transfer window is difficult and we are better place than we were last season in terms of recruitment and how we selected our targets. Of course we would have done our homework on signings which 

not really. I will remember BBD and what he did here

I think its always be in his mindset for him to sign a pre contract with foreign club for the last 6 to 9 months 

It would be easier to get a striker with even £5m over sole reliance on the free transfer market.

Seems like that ship has sailed now anyway, hopefully we can get a fee in this window but I doubt it. Piss poor.

Regarding Gelhardt, he is going to Wigan anyway. Always hard when you are just fishing for loan deals and the occasional cheap deal, lots of competition.

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Oh come on get real the guy has spent most of his career as a third choice apart from when he was here. It means jack shit if he was any good he'd have been challenging the first spot there but he never has.

If you're seriously telling me you rate him after his time here you've got goalkeeper issues !

Not sure how you've gone from a Pears v Steele comparison to a GK needing to challenge for a starting spot at a Premier League side to be any good. On that same basis you presumably think Pears is or will be capable of that. If you're seriously telling me you rate him that highly after seeing him play for us, you've got goalkeeper issues!

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Steele is a ‘home grown’ quota player. It’s why most PL clubs have English back up keepers. 

If he was foreign he’s he nowhere near a top flight squad.

Exactly. Same reason city signed Carson and united got lee grant. They fill a quota and are emergency back up.

36 minutes ago, Butty said:

To be fair signing a 27 year old goalie is probably the equivalent of signing a 23/24 year old outfield player. I imagine the club is looking to move Pears on. 

It smacks of Mowbrayness to me. One of Broughton's old clubs? I just don't get the need for a new keeper whilst Pears is contracted until 2024 and has proved himself an adequate number two. This Haikin has less than 100 senior matches which isn't good for a 27 year old.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

It smacks of Mowbrayness to me. One of Broughton's old clubs? I just don't get the need for a new keeper whilst Pears is contracted until 2024 and has proved himself an adequate number two. This Haikin has less than 100 senior matches which isn't good for a 27 year old.

Because they want to send Pears out on loan, as JDT said in the summer iirc. 

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Do they want to send him on loan next season too? For the last year of his deal? I assume this guy isn't joining just for 6 months.

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Unless they want to send him out on loan to put him in the shop window (and subsequent sale) it makes little sense to me. I can only see Pears dropping down a league or two which begs the question of how much we still have to contribute to his wages as well as paying his replacement. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Do they want to send him on loan next season too? For the last year of his deal? I assume this guy isn't joining just for 6 months.

I'm guessing those questions are rhetorical! I have no idea, just stating what JDT said in the summer. 

As @arbitrosays above, maybe they want to put him in the shop window so they can sell him in the summer or send him out to see if he is good enough to challenge at Rovers for the No1 jersey at Ewood. 

40 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Not sure how you've gone from a Pears v Steele comparison to a GK needing to challenge for a starting spot at a Premier League side to be any good. On that same basis you presumably think Pears is or will be capable of that. If you're seriously telling me you rate him that highly after seeing him play for us, you've got goalkeeper issues!

I think it's self explanatory but i'll leave you to work it out, good luck.

I always remember that January transfer window when we were doing OK and signed Harwood Bellis and Branthwaite on loan. I think we were going through one of Mowbray's defensive crises at the time.

After we signed them two Mowbray and Waggott made a point of going public with their gratitude to Venkys for backing the club to sign them.

I thought that was an odd thing to do. We hadn't exactly splashed the cash and bought big, rather shuffled the numbers to get a couple of younsters on loan to alleviate a self-created defensive mess. A portion of their wages contributed to in return for guaranteed Championship games for a couple of lads desperate to play.

It seemed at the time that special dispensation had been obtained from the owners to do those deals, without which we would have been stuck.

Looking back it all makes perfect sense. The owners have set their budget, the club is stuck come January unless a series of events fall into place at the right time i.e. we can free up space on the budget or sell someone, or agree a deal with cash later in next years' allowance.

3 hours ago, Swanson said:

Here is a quick google translate from Nettavisen:

Nikita Haikin guarded the Glimt cage for several successful seasons at Aspmyra. After the 2022 season, the goalkeeper's contract expired and he has since been looking for a new club. For now, he has not signed, but now a decision on his future may be approaching. Nettavisen is aware that Haikin has several offers that he is now considering. Among other things from the MLS club Vancouver Whitecaps.

Haikin is said to have recently visited the club in Marbella in Spain where Vancouver is said to have stayed at a training camp. In recent days, Nettavisen has been sent photos of the 27-year-old in place on the Spanish sunny coast in meetings with the Canadian club, together with the Swedish agent Blash Hosseini. He also represents several Norwegian players and players who play daily in the Eliteserien.

Haikin is said to have recently also received a concrete offer from Blackburn, where Danish Jon Dahl Tomasson sits in the manager's chair and former development manager in Bodø/Glimt Gregg Broughton has the position of football director.

Feels like an opportunistic thing because he is available, and presumably rated. His contract expired in December so just free. 

If he's good no problem with it, but hope we haven't been expending much resource on it as keeper is way down the priority list at the moment.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

So we are strengthening a position which is arguably the strongest in the squad by signing a 27 year old incidentally from Broughton's old club. That scouting network must have worked overtime for this one. And what about ROI? Didn't Broughton specifically example a 27 year old midfielder with no ROI as a non starter?

I'm beginning to worry a bit about this DoF i hope we aren't trying to make signings for the sake of it to justify himself.

Not sure how much of our summer business was down to him as we were in for Brittain and watching Hyam before he arrived its been said.

Hirst and Szmodics seemed to be at his doorstep though going off what he said himself so that's a bit alarming.

Hopefully there is a plan here being worked in with the keeping positions i just hope cashing in Kaminsky isn't part of it.

• Like 1

You wonder how long it will be before we try to offload someone for a decent fee, not because we necessarily need to but because positions will need to be justified. The Armstrong sale disappearing in the rear view mirror, fancy new D of F and recruitment team in place under the mantra of increasing values.....a 'big sale' might just do the trick. Not many to go at on that front though.

I think the keeper has been linked because Pears wants some first team football and our 3rd & 4th choices are likely getting released in the summer.

Start next season with TK, Haikan and Pears - that’s what having a plan is all about 👍🏼

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 4