BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

10 minutes ago, superniko said:

What are you on about?

I said 2 things:

1) If you let an £8m striker leave for nothing on his first contract as a club in our state then you're a moron (directed at our owners and CEO who was in charge of contracts at that time - although I believe Mowbray said something about Venus being in charge of contracts so if that doesn't validate the point I don't know what would)

2) People saying "we all thought he was rubbish and we'd give him away for free" are not telling the full picture, as this was 4 years ago and he's been good for 2.5 years now.

I didn't say anything about selling him 4 years ago.

Ok, so the correct decision 2.5 years ago would’ve been either to offer a long improved contract to what was then a 5 goals a year striker - just like we did our other 5 goals a year striker - or sell said hotshot for, say, £2 million and watch him bang in 20 by Xmas for someone else?

4 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

Ok, so the correct decision 2.5 years ago would’ve been either to offer a long improved contract to what was then a 5 goals a year striker - just like we did our other 5 goals a year striker - or sell said hotshot for, say, £2 million and watch him bang in 20 by Xmas for someone else?

It's more the point that we had 2.5 years to sort it. I'd imagine it comes down to a combination of the club being cheap with lockdown and reduced revenue and also the fact for some reason our assistant manager was allegedly in charge of contracts. What an effing football club we are.

54 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

the parent Club still need to give the go ahead? Sounds like absolute bollux which would be a shame as the other targets don't sound very inspiring.

Makes enough sense to me. One feasible explanation would be that the terms of the deal have been agreed, but Brighton need another target to come through so they're not left short on backups. I doubt they have a Venkys-style ownership situation, where everything gets arranged by underlings then presented to the owners to sign off, which would have been another feasible explanation if they did.

46 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just logged in for first time in a couple of days, who have we signed? No-one? Righty ho then.

Way to go Gregg. You really seem to have everyone fooled hook line and sinker.

Nobody for now. JB (spotty record I know, sorry JB) posted that he has heard this, the keeper and Porteous are all close, so the state of play may be about to change quite a bit.

Personally I never really judge the window 20 days into it, unless we have had a major shortfall of numbers in some area of the pitch that needs addressing immediately. If we get to a few days left and nobody is in the building I'll get a bit antsy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superniko said:

It's more the point that we had 2.5 years to sort it. I'd imagine it comes down to a combination of the club being cheap with lockdown and reduced revenue and also the fact for some reason our assistant manager was allegedly in charge of contracts. What an effing football club we are.

Given we have previously had a dodgy agent, a Malaysian TV pundit, the programme editor, a shelf salesman and a chicken factory manager in charge of transfers, I’m not sure why you are surprised this wasn’t handled superbly.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto Mk2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, superniko said:

It's pretty simple. If you decide to spend £8m on an unproven, young, project striker, when you've barely got a pot to piss in, you'd be complete morons to let them leave for free at the end of that 1st contract. Add in the fact he's now an international and has scored 30+ across the last 1.5 years even more so. (I'm not blaming Broughton with this, but a certain David Brent type has been around throughout it all)

This 100%

Nothing else needs saying.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

Given we have previously had a dodgy agent, a Malaysian TV pundit, the programme editor, a shelf salesman and a chicken factory manager in charge of transfers, I’m not sure why you are surprised this wasn’t handled superbly.

Agree completely. It's not surprise, just more disappointment / frustration

17 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

Thought I would mention Josh Maja out of contract this summer been following Bordeaux as I live there at the moment 10 goals 3 assists in 18 games not bad and he has looked good this year! 

Starting to become Luca Toni 2.0

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just logged in for first time in a couple of days, who have we signed? No-one? Righty ho then.

Way to go Gregg. You really seem to have everyone fooled hook line and sinker.

Didn't realize it was deadline day today 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Just out of interest, what's your promotion plan?

I assume spend money we don't have and hope to go up automatically - competing against 3 teams with fresh massive parachute payments and half a dozen more multiple years into their parachute payments.

What's your plan if that worked and we went up? You'd have to buy a totally new squad, right, like Forest? What's your plan if you failed to catch Burnley / Sheff Utd / Watford / Norwich et al and had spent £10m in the process?

He doesn’t have a plan, it’s just big, brash, cliche ridden hot air! It’s Nigel Farage talking to the right wing idiots, or Boris promising to give the NHS £200m if we voted for brexit. They’re just words playing to ego’s…

We’d all love to beat our chests like William Wallace and charge to promotion, but with a budget in the bottom Q of the championship and a club rooted in a financially challenged area, we simply do not have the muscle or muster to make that charge….YET. Mercer (assuming he has been around the block) must know that too, as I’m sure do those ‘liking’ his narrative!! But in reality, we’re going to have to try and do it a different way…

I’m not saying what they’re doing will work, but the ‘plan’ (if you can call it that) as described by Mercer takes us back to the stone ages. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, superniko said:

It's pretty simple. If you decide to spend £8m on an unproven, young, project striker, when you've barely got a pot to piss in, you'd be complete morons to let them leave for free at the end of that 1st contract. Add in the fact he's now an international and has scored 30+ across the last 1.5 years even more so. (I'm not blaming Broughton with this, but a certain David Brent type has been around throughout it all)

Ohhh jeez - They offered him a contract and he didn’t sign it. He wasn’t worth a wank until last Christmas and even then no one wanted to stump up the cash for him!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if Venkys had known we were going to implode last Christmas then selling BBD and Rothwell for £15m combined would’ve been a solid call. Truth be known, they woulda been lynched for it back then.

It’s very very unfortunate how this has turned out. But as early as Sep 2021 most of wouldn’t have given a shit if Brereton had gone on loan and never come back…that’s 18 months ago and we’d have been perplexed had he been offered a new contract.

It is what it is. The club don’t have a crystal ball and can’t even pay the wages of the likes of Boro and Bournemouth - we must move on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

He means it's irritating for those who don't want to see any wrong in how the club operates. Because it's a glaringly obvious and pretty much indefensible failing.

The club in many ways are a shit show, but i genuinely think sometimes that if they came out and announced they’d learned to walk on water, you guys would say it was only because they couldn’t swim. 🤦🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

We spent several million on players in summer an have a 7 million purchase rated at 15 million (if under contract). a 5 million forward ( won't mention the rating on that one) a fit again Dack and numerous good young players to rotate around.

Many clubs in this league would love what we have right now and bit of chest beating and a pair of bollocks wouldn't go amiss sometimes. Could be just what's missing, if we are doing it a different way we won't do it with no aggression or aggressive ambitious  thinking.

Attitude shouldn't cost money and excuse making should be left at home.

This budget talk always gets an airing whenever there is a dip in form like it's somehow unique to Rovers or BRFCS.

We aren't loaded but we are far from paupers.

Edited by tomphil

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

The club in many ways are a shit show, but i genuinely think sometimes that if they came out and announced they’d learned to walk on water, you guys would say it was only because they couldn’t swim. 🤦🏽‍♂️

No, I'd just believe it about as much as I did when we were gonna sign Beckham.

And to flip it around a bit, I sometimes think that if they came out and said they could turn their piss into wine, 'you guys' would line up in front of their phalluses.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2