BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

You have such a rainbow and puppies view of the world.  Finances always come first.  It's a short career. I'm sure when he's retired and penniless he's going to be comforted by how many games he played for rovers as he throws his memories onto the fire to keep himself warm

I have never agreed with the short career argument. A player probably has a working life in football, of about 25% of the average persons working life. But earns probably ten times what the average worker earns. I don't see how most would end up retired and penniless.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Succession planning would be moving Phillips into the first team. (Wow quote 

He is in the first team.

You mean the First XI? Well that would be some feat as an 18 year old - I'd throw down the gauntlet to him if I was JDT, but I'd like to have some experienced, talented, options in case he falters. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

I have never agreed with the short career argument. A player probably has a working life in football, of about 25% of the average persons working life. But earns probably ten times what the average worker earns. I don't see how most would end up retired and penniless.

Absolutely, such an annoying argument that keeps coming up. It's not the 1980's. If you have a Championship-level first team career in this day and age, and you end up penniless when you retire, then you've almost certainly misspent your money or been extremely unlucky.

It's also not like there aren't other career avenues open to footballers when they retire. Punditry, coaching, agent work, etc. That's just some of the football-related ones, and they also will have enough money to get whatever qualifications they'd like (and still be eligible for student loans I believe). If you were a fairly high-level footballer in England and you end up penniless, you fucked up, or perhaps just thought that a few years of kicking a ball around should enable you and yours to live a lavish lifestyle forever.

Edited by bluebruce

Yeah but you can't have your cake and eat it. If it is indeed '"a long term project" you have to throw the likes of Phillips and Adam Wharton in and persevere with them come what may. Signing players to keep them out of the side defeats the entire purpose.

• Like 5

If Brighton are keeping Undav around to play some part in the FA Cup at the weekend then probably be waiting until after that to see what is happening with him.

I hope we see some urgency and bodies through the door this week and the fact no league game this week and looking like the loan market we leave it all until deadline day

• Like 1

The only names currently linked that will improve our first XI are Undav and O’brien and I’m not too sure O’brien has actually been linked.

We don’t need another GK and a centre Half is well down the priority list. When is this scouting network going to reveal its worth? All the decent signings recently have been known players at this level. 

I expected us to be pulling gems from Scandinavia with Broughton as DoF but it has all been pretty underwhelming to be honest.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

The only names currently linked that will improve our first XI are Undav and O’brien and I’m not too sure O’brien has actually been linked.

We don’t need another GK and a centre Half is well down the priority list. When is this scouting network going to reveal its worth? All the decent signings recently have been known players at this level. 

I expected us to be pulling gems from Scandinavia with Broughton as DoF but it has all been pretty underwhelming to be honest.

Work permit rules make things incredibly hard in terms of bringing people in from that region. Unless you’re Burnley and you can afford the best ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We don't need another centre half. Striker who knows where the net is and a combative midfielder who can also play a bit please.

I’d argue we do. Let’s stop pretending Wharton and Carter are actually top 6 quality players. Ayala is made of straw and can’t be relied upon. Phillips is 17 so needs to be eased in. 

Hyam is our only genuine top 6 quality centre back. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm still not sure why Carter is so poorly thought of on here - he's yet to let us down. Wharton is a decent Championship CB - you're in a very strong position if he's a bench player for you. 

i think both wharton and carter are two very solid  defenders,just because they are not the most gifted on the ball some on here take exeption

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i think both wharton and carter are two very solid  defenders,just because they are not the most gifted on the ball some on here take exeption

Whartons a good player but he’s struggled after his injury. Some are a bit unfair about him, he was brilliant last season. Our defeats coincided with him being out.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, booth said:

Whartons a good player but he’s struggled after his injury. Some are a bit unfair about him, he was brilliant last season. Our defeats coincided with him being out.

Or has he never recovered from being left out of the side to play Burnley?

57 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

So, when our main guys are injured does JDT resort to the hoof ball?  These 2 seem to struggle with his playing out from the back theory.

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Nothing to see here.

Same old Venky recruitment story. Probably be one loan in and a boat load of excuses.

They are consistent though. As I'm at my annual "how the hell does anybody work for these idiots" stage. I did (stupidly) think this year with having a director of football there was a slight chance we may line up some signings to hit January running but alas no. I'm now preparing myself for loan players who haven't kicked a ball all season, who will take until the end of March to get fit and then injured in April.

• Like 5

Though frustrated - I am prepared to wait for the end of the window before I judge. I am sure we are treading the usual gambit of trying to get the best we can with our limited transfer and wage budget. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting to see what happens with Diaz - as it has the potential to drastically change the landscape.

Our DOF seems to be getting some stick - but it can't be easy given all the variables in play.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

If he'd have resorted to that a lot earlier in the season we might still be third.

Agreed. Can't see any fault in the logic of playing route one to Gallagher and Vale, they both have such secure touches....

Edited by Mellor Rover

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Nothing to see here.

Same old Venky recruitment story. Probably be one loan in and a boat load of excuses.

WE can only sign players that-one else is in for it seems. Whenever anyone else is linked with a player we're after I just give up. I know they'll offer more in wages, even if its Wigan!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

WE can only sign players that-one else is in for it seems. Whenever anyone else is linked with a player we're after I just give up. I know they'll offer more in wages, even if its Wigan!

It’s not just the wages is it ? The way the club is run is shambolic and players at other clubs will be aware of that fact. When did we last sign a player were we were in serious competition with another club ? Every time another club comes in the player in question chooses the other club. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rover23 said:

I’d argue we do. Let’s stop pretending Wharton and Carter are actually top 6 quality players. Ayala is made of straw and can’t be relied upon. Phillips is 17 so needs to be eased in. 

Hyam is our only genuine top 6 quality centre back. 

I don't know where all the negativity towards scot wharton has come from recently! He's an absolutely quality cb and only going to get better with experience, his form may have dipped a bit, but he's young and the form of most the squad has been shite at times. 

• Like 4