BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

no chance Mercer. Plus doesn't this post belong in the PL thread not the transfer thread

There is only 1 Dane here in JDT, Cos his number 2 is Dutch and the rest of our staff are British so the story is bollocks ago

"Bollocks ago" 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 

Genius.

I've ever seen those two words together before and ive always got my eye out for a new swearsy. Cheers

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Also one of the most successful managers we've had.

That's pushing it. He did a decent if dull job, but the absolute best he could rank during just my time is 4th. Across the club's grand history, he's an afterthought. He shouldn't have been fired when he was, but I think he gets a bit too much credit on account of the total charlatan managers either side of him, Ince and Kean.

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

And that's going well.

In the first halves of the last two seasons, it has. Formations don't lose form and fitness, players do. I don't believe the formations per se have been a problem, so much as the mentality, fitness and consistency of the playing staff. And to a degree, the poor decision-making of the managers.

I would say it's not a good formation for a possession game that JDT supposedly wants to play, you can't afford to lose the midfield battle then. But when you can send it long to fairly quick attackers on the counter, as has been our most successful approach, it's not as important.

Weren't we playing 4-3-3 for a lot of Mowbray's possession-obsessed phase?

21 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

"Bollocks ago" 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 

Genius.

I've ever seen those two words together before and ive always got my eye out for a new swearsy. Cheers

I nearly commented on that too! I was thinking bollocks ago sounds like the bollocks was in the past, but I'm fairly sure we're still living in the Bollocks Era.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, islander200 said:

They don't want another goalkeeper on the books without getting rid of one.

We have a budget and have most likely identified our targets and will know how much of our budget is needed for each deal maybe the wage budget after priority signings are made wouldn't allow another goalkeepers wage on the books without a Pears wages taken off 

Another goalkeeper would leave me rest a little easier if Kaminski got injured  but the majority of the budget should be going on a number 9 and a centre midfielder that are a step up to what we already have at the club  although not been much talk of a centre mid unfortunately anything else would be a bonus.

Understand this,. Agree with the comments on a number 9 and CM too.

However on the GK situation, offloading Pears on a temporary basis shouldn’t be impossible or the pre-requisite behind this proposed deal and even if we couldn’t offload him, the net cost is less than quarter of a million. Surely the new keeper if he’s good enough would have an asset value of that and so the deal funds itself.

If we’re not proceeding, it suggests that either we don’t want to, the keeper doesn’t want it, or our cash flow is incredibly tight.

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That's pushing it. He did a decent if dull job, but the absolute best he could rank during just my time is 4th. Across the club's grand history, he's an afterthought. He shouldn't have been fired when he was, but I think he gets a bit too much credit on account of the total charlatan managers either side of him, Ince and Kean.

King Kenny, Hughes, Souness all did much better than him here and we played attacking football. Big Sam didn't want to be Rovers long term as he always thought he was better than he was. Our problem was who replaced him not getting rid of him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

King Kenny, Hughes, Souness all did much better than him here and we played attacking football. Big Sam didn't want to be Rovers long term as he always thought he was better than he was. Our problem was who replaced him not getting rid of him. 

As the old truism goes....

If it ain't broke (and it wasn't), don't fix it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kenny, Hughes and Souey didn’t want to be at Rovers long term either, that’s why they all bailed out.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

There was another interview where he said his mind was basically made up already, and that whilst he would have given us fair consideration if he got to come over, he doubts it was going to sway him.

But there isn’t one where he says there was zero chance he would have come to Blackburn?

Edited by Hasta

.The likes of Allardyce, Mick Mccarthy and others may find themselves struggling more these days, the game has undoubtedly moved on and there's new kids on the block. Of course there's no guarantees with the newer managers either.

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He could bore me into the Prem anytime he wants, the brand we have now is dire in it's own way and about 50% as effective.

big sams football was effective and came with a game plan,jdt plays nothing football and it`s not effective(before anyone starts that we are in the play offs,we all know it is`nt going to last,barring a miracle and 4 good players)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

No. Nor is there one where he says he definitely would have.

True.  Sam had him lined up to come across to Blackburn and the ash cloud stopped it. That’s confirmed by that interview. 

The only reason I posted it was to show that for someone to say that he did an interview where he said there was zero chance of him coming to rovers is complete bollocks.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well after leaving here he had a further 5 Premier League jobs and got the England national team job (on merit, not by being in the right place at the right time like Southgate).

So I'm not sure he 'thought he was better than he was'. Quite clearly he is/was a very good manager who had PL clubs lining up for his services.

• Like 3