BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I liked him a lot. Is this a comment in terms of him being available or any news coming from sources at the club? 

Would be very happy with him. Good in the air, on the floor, strong, worries defences, achieved a 1 in 2 goal ratio in the Championship over a couple of seasons.

Hard to think of many better options.

image.png.f0e0b2c164938d59a081c72e14cb1593.png

just search on twitter, it soon becomes apparent where this stuff comes from. No mention of Rovers, just a general feeling bids are going in for him cos he's out of contract at end of season. 

• Like 1

With five days to go and one a match day (and a potential replay too) the clock is really ticking. My heart certainly expects that targets have been identified and are being actively pursued, my head keeps reminding me that we are poorly run by idiots, skint and frankly have people running the club who don't appear to care which trumps the former.

I have already prepped myself for disappointment so it won't be as frustrating at midnight on Tuesday.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think we both know that's not true. Out of a recruitment department that's now extremely large at 15+ people including all the part time staff, only around 2 or 3 have a data focus. Rovers are out at more games than pretty much most teams in the Championship. They have more live match based scouts than most teams in the Championship. Again, it's not an issue of identification, it's an issue of actually convincing those players to come here. We don't have the budget and we don't have the pull we once had.

Joe, whilst it's good to hear that, belatedly, there's an increased focus on scouting the obvious response to your comment above is that surely they need to focus on scouting options which we have a decent chance of getting over the line. I see absolutely no benefit in having a list full of players who can and will do better elsewhere (wages, facilities, ambition, trophies etc...).

I'm still surprised there hasn't been more of a dive into the scandanavian market for instance. I appreciate there will be work permit issues for some but wages certainly won't be an issue.

Also, not that I particular want to heap praise on Kompany and and our six fingered sibling shagging rivals, but it has to be pointed out that they seem to be utilising the Belgian market very effectively.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ye, I say our first team scouting dept is shite.  They never come up with anyone good who nobody hadn't already heard of.  

I think Kaminski was a good signing. Can’t say I’d heard of him! 
Dack is another good one - I hadn’t heard much of him 

And let’s be honest, had we not had dickhead owners and managed to flip BBD for 15-20m it would have been a good bit of business 

Adam Armstrong was a good bit of business, but you could see that coming 

I think they’re doing okay, but we could do better in getting targets from abroad a la Tommy K 

But “never” is a big word 

• Like 1

If we actually went and swapped Hayden Carter for Colby Bishop - that'd be the final straw.

I'd have to give it up and deem myself one of these "I don't really follow football" people.

"I support my legs, because they support me!" 🥴

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think Kaminski was a good signing. Can’t say I’d heard of him! 
Dack is another good one - I hadn’t heard much of him 

And let’s be honest, had we not had dickhead owners and managed to flip BBD for 15-20m it would have been a good bit of business 

Adam Armstrong was a good bit of business, but you could see that coming 

I think they’re doing okay, but we could do better in getting targets from abroad a la Tommy K 

But “never” is a big word 

Rothwell another. Terrible manager in other ways our Tony but made some shrewd buys.

54 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ye, I say our first team scouting dept is shite.  They never come up with anyone good who nobody hadn't already heard of.  

There's just no such thing. Every game has countless scouts from all around the UK and the world in attendance.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Yet can't afford to sign players?

What's the point in having such a big scouting department if:

A) we can't afford players

B) we can't find gems

C) the scouting team are wasting time scouting unaffordable players

I never said I was for having such a large department, this is a totally separate argument now.

But the accusation that we're simply not identifying players is wholly inaccurate.

24 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

If we actually went and swapped Hayden Carter for Colby Bishop - that'd be the final straw.

I'd have to give it up and deem myself one of these "I don't really follow football" people.

When people ask you why you stopped following football after all these years, are you seriously going to say it's because we swapped a non-regular defender for a striker from the league below us with a reasonable goal-scoring record?

File under "drama with zero substance". You'll still be following Rovers if we did it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

I recall you backing us to sign 2 players before the game tomorrow (pretty sure it was you, apologies if not) - 1 down, but do you still think that?

Really hope Greg can work some magic, we have glaring issues and time is ticking!

Nope — I’ll be donating £10 to a @RevidgeBlue charity I suspect.

I was told:

They thought that had Haikan in, with Pears going to Pompy. Pompy then decided to get the Luton keeper instead, which stopped Haikan. 

They thought they were well ahead with Porteous and when Hyam got injured decided to get it done now. Seems like he’s going to Watford instead. 

Undav was first choice but he’s decided he thinks he can break into the Brighton team rather than go on loan and they’re happy for him to try as we where only covering a small bit of his wage. 

Then they were moving on to their fourth target, who turned out to be Sorba Thomas (I didn’t get a name). Ironically Thomas is the first one over the line and when I was told the above I didn’t even get a name for who it was because it was only just progressing. 

Also got the name Ramsay from Liverpool on loan as cover at right back allowing JRC to go on loan until the end of the season whilst he’s playing well. But haven’t heard that since. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I think we both know that's not true. Out of a recruitment department that's now extremely large at 15+ people including all the part time staff, only around 2 or 3 have a data focus. Rovers are out at more games than pretty much most teams in the Championship. They have more live match based scouts than most teams in the Championship. Again, it's not an issue of identification, it's an issue of actually convincing those players to come here. We don't have the budget and we don't have the pull we once had.

Depends where the physical scouts are being utilised. I doubt there is much data available for league of Ireland players or Mill Hill U13s. Plenty for Championship and Cat one academy players though.

I remember specifically during Mowbray’s time he mentioned the difficulties of scouting players abroad due to flight costs.

Perhaps we are doing things the wrong way round then? If it all comes down to finances we should be doing some due diligence and looking at whether a target is viable before committing resources to looking at them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

I doubt there is much data available for league of Ireland players

Plenty. I just don't think it's a good enough league for Championship clubs to scout from direct. L1 and L2 clubs utilise that market and there's a lot of data on it.

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

If it all comes down to finances we should be doing some due diligence

And again, we both know deep down that you don't genuinely believe we aren't doing due diligence. Agents are the busiest people in the world, before you see players you know everything about them down to their dogs name and their first primary school. Surely it's reasonable to think we must have believed we had a chance at the players we've targeted. If we didn't bother trying to get these players, then people would be moaning saying we never try and getting upset when a Sorba Thomas goes to a Preston or something.

The January window is very difficult and its clear they've made very solid attempts, but the wage budget is the wage budget. If they miss out on Porteous because Watford can offer him double what they can, then what's to be done? Does that mean they never should have tried in the first place? CB isn't a priority area anyway so there's no reason to go out and find another CB. RP represented value and they tried to capitalise on that, if he doesn't come here then it's time to move on and that's fine.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I liked him a lot. Is this a comment in terms of him being available or any news coming from sources at the club? 

Would be very happy with him. Good in the air, on the floor, strong, worries defences, achieved a 1 in 2 goal ratio in the Championship over a couple of seasons.

Hard to think of many better options.

Just being available mate. Doubt we will be in for him but it’s an option.