BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Surely I'm entitled to an opinion before he arrives based on his career history to date?

I expressed exactly the same opinion on Hirst who had a similarly uninspiring Career profile (0 in 32 at this level when he arrived) and look how that turned out.

To be fair, Ugbo has 1 in 16 from his loan at Barnsley (aged 19).

Edited by TugaysMarlboro

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Surely I'm entitled to an opinion before he arrives based on his career history to date?

I expressed exactly the same opinion on Hirst who had a similarly uninspiring Career profile (0 in 32 at this level when he arrived) and look how that turned out.

Yes, of course you are entitled to your opinion - it was more the certainty with which it was expressed - "truly desperate stuff" - that jars. Surely you could tone it down a bit until the poor guy plays. I think the reality is that the club's budget together with the cost of proven goalscorers means that whoever is signed in this position is going to come with some doubts attached.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

What are you talking about?? Vale isnt good enough and Gally can’t hit a barn door. Don’t take my speech so literal… We’ve hopefully, got a new face in, who has an okay record…Who knows if he’ll be any good but the way the other 2 strikers are shaping it’s really not hard to better them. 

My entire initial point was, very obviously, being literal. People like to say new players can't be worse, but they absolutely and very obviously can, and most of the time when we hear that, the next player is indeed worse. Hirst was worse.

In a less literal sense, 'X player is shit so I'll take absolutely anybody else' is a pretty stupid approach. Thank god you don't work in recruitment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes, of course you are entitled to your opinion - it was more the certainty with which it was expressed - "truly desperate stuff" - that jars. Surely you could tone it down a bit until the poor guy plays. I think the reality is that the club's budget together with the cost of proven goalscorers means that whoever is signed in this position is going to come with some doubts attached.

I find it hard to believe that this is the best we could have done on loan. If it was a permanent signing then yes, it would appear money is fairly limited this window.

39 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Considering We are 2 days away from the window closing then it’s probably the best we can do. Other championship clubs were looking at him so he must have something in him. I see more potential than hirst but of course we will see.

His agent been hawking him around clubs in the championship rather than Championship clubs looking at him I'd say.

He clearly wasn't our 1st, 2nd..., choice.

Hope he does well obviously but can't help feeling deflated with this 

• Like 3

Ugbo is one to be hopeful about rather than excited about. It’s evident the club are taking a very laid back, non-committal approach to the window despite our promising league position. I think we all knew it was overly optimistic we’d really “have a go”.

Have to hope he’s more Gestede than Hirst. Having said that there’s no point giving him too much thought til he’s officially through the door. Can’t take anything for granted. Overall it’s looking like a very frustrating window with areas we’d all like to see improved not being looked at, but the general feeling of frustration will be lessened by a bit of a relief by adding anybody this late.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, callumrovers said:

Ike Ugbo and the Juve lad- would we be happy with this?

1 minute ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Juve lad we have no chance bro, isn't he in the squad for juve today? Il have to double check that though 

Yeah he came on for juve today in a 2-0 loss at home to monza

Will Ugbo be joining the 3 signings that we had ready to sign and push the button on? And will he join in addition to a player who has got minutes for Juventus very recently?

Will take with a pinch of salt at this stage, the whole window has seemingly been one of trying to conjure magic on a non-existent budget whilst the elephant in the room of our (in the summer) £8m plus forward continues to simultaneously run down any value left whilst being bang out of form.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

My entire initial point was, very obviously, being literal. People like to say new players can't be worse, but they absolutely and very obviously can, and most of the time when we hear that, the next player is indeed worse. Hirst was worse.

In a less literal sense, 'X player is shit so I'll take absolutely anybody else' is a pretty stupid approach. Thank god you don't work in recruitment.

It is a semi valid point. Even if this lad isn't very good he's still likely to be considerably better than Gallagher. 

That's if he's picked. Our head coach seems to have a weird infatuation with SG.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I find it hard to believe that this is the best we could have done on loan. If it was a permanent signing then yes, it would appear money is fairly limited this window.

The only loan movement of a forward player to the Championship who would appear at this stage to obviously look more promising that I can see is Cameron Archer to Middlesbrough. Other than that I am struggling to see anybody who is likely to be better than Ugbo.

We need a physical striker.  A decent header of the ball.  Gallagher is useless.  We have plenty of pacy wide strikers. No point in bringing in Thomas if there's no one to get on the end of them. This window has been gash. So far Broughton and jdt signings have been questionable at best. I had high hopes at the end of the last window but hirst was horrendous.  Brittain is injury prone. Mola never gets a look in. Morton has been up and down. Sammi has been underwhelming. The only truly outstanding addition was hyam. This is the second opportunity we've had to strengthen from a position of strength regarding being around the play offs in January.  I think it's quite obvious the club has no aspirations of promotion 

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 6

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

The only loan movement of a forward player to the Championship who would appear at this stage to obviously look more promising that I can see is Cameron Archer to Middlesbrough. Other than that I am struggling to see anybody who is likely to be better than Ugbo.

I would have taken delap over this guy