BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

Shame to see some of the comments on Ugbo. Clearly a lot of the comments are being based off stats rather than people who follow Ligue 1. I watch a lot of ligue 1 being half French and support Lyon over there as my French team. Troyes is connected to Manchester City but Ugbo is very highly seen at the club and a player for the future to develop. The squad itself has not had an overly incredible season, the way the team plays doesn’t fit Ugbo strength either which the manager has admitted in the past. Ugbo has taken a similar path to football like Mavididi. Personally, he makes sense as a signing he is a powerful player who can hold the ball up well, and he knows how to header unlike Gallagher. Thomas will fit in perfectly into the this I actually think this is not a wow signing but a very sensible signing. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, roverstdt said:

Shame to see some of the comments on Ugbo. Clearly a lot of the comments are being based off stats rather than people who follow Ligue 1. I watch a lot of ligue 1 being half French and support Lyon over there as my French team. Troyes is connected to Manchester City but Ugbo is very highly seen at the club and a player for the future to develop. The squad itself has not had an overly incredible season, the way the team plays doesn’t fit Ugbo strength either which the manager has admitted in the past. Ugbo has taken a similar path to football like Mavididi. Personally, he makes sense as a signing he is a powerful player who can hold the ball up well, and he knows how to header unlike Gallagher. Thomas will fit in perfectly into the this I actually think this is not a wow signing but a very sensible signing. 

So we would have no chance adding a buy option  then?

1 minute ago, roverstdt said:

If he's a good physical player then he maybe decent. Also someone who can head a ball. I will give him a chance.  Still think this is a desperation signing rather than something the club has looked hard into

Some Over the top comments about Ike Ugbo on here without most of us even seeing much of him playing. He has scored goals in Belgium, Holland and France plus he was in Canada world cup squad and played minutes in the World cup for them. I just don't get why people are so negative about the potential signing. Players like Gestede didn't score much when he signed for Rovers to similar criticism on here if memory served me right. Neal Maupay's Ligue 1 scoring record was only 7 goals in 59 games before Brentford signed him. Look at the hit he was there before a move to PL club. 

I hope Ugbo is a permanent signing not a loan

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some Over the top comments about Ike Ugbo on here without most of us even seeing much of him playing. He has scored goals in Belgium, Holland and France plus he was in Canada world cup squad and played minutes in the World cup for them. I just don't get why people are so negative about the potential signing. Players like Gestede didn't score much when he signed for Rovers to similar criticism on here if memory served me right. Neal Maupay's Ligue 1 scoring record was only 7 goals in 59 games before Brentford signed him. Look at the hit he was there before a move to PL club. 

Why does it have to come down to people being negative when they try and break down a players career? You think that anyone we sign will automatically be good, surely the truth is in the middle.

There will always be examples of players who have suddenly found a home but it is more likely that a players career to date is a good guideline to what you are signing.

He didn't feature at the World Cup, he had some poor spells in the English lower leagues, he did score a reasonable amount in Holland but it was not the top division, his 2 seasons in Belgium were mixed and his overall goal tally in France is poor, albeit at a higher standard than the Championship.

Like anyone on here I am merely basing this on his goal record but it is the only thing we can really discuss.

Anyway, it's only a rumour, he hasn't signed nor has there been a concrete link.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

Thought I would add since the new manager has come the team has been awful and that counts for 8 or 9 matches prior to that he did well last season 

Why do Troyes want him out if as you say he's so highly rated there? Has there been a fall out?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

With loans, it seemingly is common place that teams who do not play loanees are financially penalised should they not play a certain amount of minutes.

That was reported with the Gelhardt deal as a key matter in him eventually going to Sunderland.

Why do you seem so sure that Rovers couldn't possibly be under similar penalties should Morton not play? He plays basically every game regardless of form when his partner is regularly altered.

I know about the financial penalties some clubs put in place for lack of game time for loan players. 

I don't know the full ins and out why we didn't sign Gelhardt and I'm not convince he was ever the right type of striker we need

I think Morton has been good enough so far this season to warranted starting as much as he has but I think yesterday he was very poor

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Underwhelming 

based on what? 

44 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

We all want a proven goal scorer but if we are talking at in the moment then who else is out there to look at? 

Most clubs are looking for a proven goalscorer but yet again comes down to money 

12 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I would have taken delap over this guy

What has Delap has done that impress you so much over Ugbo who I doubt you seen much off? 

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

a lot of fans think the management,recruitment,greg and the analysis team are useless,hence their scepticism about ugbo,hirst and mola hav`nt exactly impressed us have they,mola is that bad they can`t even send him back,i suspect they got lucky with hyam,coventry are skint otherwise he`d have been out of our price range

Know nothing about Ugbo, never heard of him before this afternoon. Having watched a few clips he looks to have some pace and strength about hin. Different to what we have had up there in recent times. His scoring record hardly inspires though, but let's see what he is about.

It looks like we are trying to address the lack of pace in our side, with next to nothing to play with budget wise. Thomas and Ugbo will offer us pace at least, which could give us a different edge, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with how things are going so far in this window. I rate Thomas and he has assists in his locker to go with the speed, but was hoping for more overall.

You can see JDT getting frustrated by how slow we have been with signings, it's probably getting to Broughton too. For the second January in a row, the budget is killing any promotion hopes we have and that's on the owners, IMO.

• Like 1

Ha, so an Ugbo signing may have some legs after all... (edit: or not haha)

Repeating myself a bit from a post a few pages back, but there is some hype around him for the Canadian national team. Canada's relatively deep on attackers, so it was no mean feat for him to make the World Cup squad after only recently committing (being a former England U20).

His form seems to be all over the place, but he has scored goals when given starts on a few separate occasions now.

It's not all rosy, as apparently the managers at both Genk and Troyes have questioned his attitude/motivation. Obviously having a down year with Troyes after impressing last year, but they're also having a mess of a season. Troyes only recently signed him to a long-term deal, but he may be an interesting 'buy-low' option... Hard to predict Troyes plans for him given they're part of the City Football Group...

If you want a skim through many pages of Canadian soccer nerds 🙂https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/77309-ike-ugbo/ Not so positive of late, but it is/was expected that he'll settle in as our 2nd choice striker behind Jonathan David.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ItsRoverZ said:

If ugbo signs tomorrow can he play against brum?

I doubt it, I may be wrong but I think you have to be registered for the initial game.

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I know about the financial penalties some clubs put in place for lack of game time for loan players. 

I don't know the full ins and out why we didn't sign Gelhardt and I'm not convince he was ever the right type of striker we need

I think Morton has been good enough so far this season to warranted starting as much as he has but I think yesterday he was very poor

based on what? 

Most clubs are looking for a proven goalscorer but yet again comes down to money 

What has Delap has done that impress you so much over Ugbo who I doubt you seen much off? 

The fact that Gelhardt was one of our wanted options perhaps lends itself to the theory that our recruitment is a bit haphazard considering how different he is to Undav.

You think that Morton has warranted being essentially the first name on the team sheet? Ok.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why does it have to come down to people being negative when they try and break down a players career? You think that anyone we sign will automatically be good, surely the truth is in the middle.

To be honest, I have zero knowledge of this player, what his strengths or weaknesses. 

There will always be examples of players who have suddenly found a home but it is more likely that a players career to date is a good guideline to what you are signing.

He didn't feature at the World Cup, he had some poor spells in the English lower leagues, he did score a reasonable amount in Holland but it was not the top division, his 2 seasons in Belgium were mixed and his overall goal tally in France is poor, albeit at a higher standard than the Championship.

I don't know what the standard is like Holland or Belgium or France as I don't watch those leagues. He scored 1 goal in 2 games at Cercle Brugge and then moved to Genk where he scored 1 goal in 6.25 games. At Troyes last season he scored 5 goals in 14 games where he played 821 minutes but this season he has the same games but only 1 goal and only 399 minutes. Can anyone say why this is? change of coach or tactics, etc?  

Like anyone on here I am merely basing this on his goal record but it is the only thing we can really discuss.

Anyway, it's only a rumour, he hasn't signed nor has there been a concrete link.

I think its much more than a rumour at this stage given who is posting the info on here

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

To be honest, I have zero knowledge of this player, what his strengths or weaknesses. 

I don't know what the standard is like Holland or Belgium or France as I don't watch those leagues. He scored 1 goal in 2 games at Cercle Brugge and then moved to Genk where he scored 1 goal in 6.25 games. At Troyes last season he scored 5 goals in 14 games where he played 821 minutes but this season he has the same games but only 1 goal and only 399 minutes. Can anyone say why this is? change of coach or tactics, etc?  

I think its much more than a rumour at this stage given who is posting the info on here

Yep, seems to be nonsense.