BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston North End (h) - 10/12/2022

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yesterday Brittain started at right wing back and Hedges at left wing back. When Brittain went off, I would have moved back 4 and gone 4-2-3-1 with BBD up front

I wouldn't send any back and I wouldn't overreacted to these 2 very poor results and performances

Against Preston at home we should have started with a back 4 from the off. A back five takes away anything good about Hedges and Brittain. And we don't have the midfielders to play with a back five so it shouldn't be an option.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

What, two bad games and you're out after less than half a season ! Think you need to get a sense of perspective.

Yep,....and to be honest it's more than two bad games ..

It's not working ,change it or move on .

Edited by den9112
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, den9112 said:

Come back to me with that comment in 8 weeks ...

Currently I'm finding it hard to disagree with that line of thinking........the main reason I'm prepared to allow JDT a fair amount of slack however is I would still maintain Mowbray** left us in a world of trouble which would take anyone a couple of seasons to sort out.

**(Who MP also loved)

Let’s not forget this is pretty much the same group of players that managed to completely collapse from February onwards last season. In fact we have now downgraded our on pitch leadership.

Mowbray stuck with a failing plan, JDT looks to be even more stubborn. If we don’t have wholesale changes to the squad (we won’t), or we ditch the system and get back to basics (we won’t) I think we will plummet down the table at an even more rapid rate than we did last year.

We are literally giving teams goals. We are approaching double figures of absolutely ridiculous, unforgivable, embarrassing goals to concede. The sort of goals that would’ve made a Danny Baker video special or been ripped apart by Baddiel and Skinner in years gone by. There is nothing to suggest we are working on addressing this. Tomasson didn’t seem to think that was a problem yesterday, it was all about the attacking players movement.

Thank god we are currently third. The points we’ve amassed so far will come in very handy. We won’t get near another 36 points out of our remaining games.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Have a look at the league table. 

You are like an annoying stuck record.Our position will change very quckly if JDT does not see the light.

We have been humiliated in back to back derby games,comprehensively played off the Park...our false league position offers little comfort.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, booth said:

Against Preston at home we should have started with a back 4 from the off. A back five takes away anything good about Hedges and Brittain. And we don't have the midfielders to play with a back five so it shouldn't be an option.

I'm pleased you agree with me that we should have played a back 4 yesterday. 

Brittain played the majority of the time at Barnsley as right wing back. 

If we are going to back 5 then we need to play 3 centre midfielders and front 2 as strikers not inside strikers or wide forward. 

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

In third position and already lost ten games in early-mid December and with a negative goal difference. We’re in a false position. 

We never win when we go a goal behind and have no plan b, let alone plan a. The only player we have that can score is stuck out on the left wing. There is no balance in the team. No leader and very little experience. Boys against men most weeks. Two games running that our defence has been bullied by over the hill has beens.

I would go four at the back and get Diaz in the middle where he can be more of a threat. 4231 or a variation of that. That won’t happen, though, with this mon in charge.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Currently I'm finding it hard to disagree with that line of thinking........the main reason I'm prepared to allow JDT a fair amount of slack however is I would still maintain Mowbray** left us in a world of trouble which would take anyone a couple of seasons to sort out.

**(Who MP also loved)

But we have a more talented squad than the last 2 performances have shown. We've given 7 goals away in those 2 games and scored one.

I accept Rome wasn't built in a day and all that but if he picked the best eleven, played them in the right places, didn't change the side every week so that confidence could grow, surely we'd do far better than this?

Which players are improved since he came? Not John Buckley who was a regular. Neither Wharton in for the Burnley game---how crazy is that?

This project is starting to go very wrong, we can't blame Mowbray for this collapse. Its been alleged that JDT has lost the dressing room, I wouldn't know but they are playing like it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Attacking players can move all they want but when the ball is constantly finding opposition players it makes little difference.

They also take too many touches when they are under pressure. A moment later they are on the floor and the opposition has the ball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

😂 What hilarity!   Gav said that to me back in January this year. Then someone accused me of wanting Rovers to fail. Dear oh dear.

We can all see that JDT has Rovers playing shite football and it looks like he won't change it. Losing 10 games before Xmas indicates we will definitely not finish in the top 6.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, booth said:

They also take too many touches when they are under pressure. A moment later they are on the floor and the opposition has the ball.

easy to play against as well,defending is easy when everything is in front of you,worst thing for a centre back and a full back is the threat of someone getting behind you or a quick winger/centre forward running at you,as it stands a non league side could shut us out,we are so easy to defend against

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bazza said:

😂 What hilarity!   Gav said that to me back in January this year. Then someone accused me of wanting Rovers to fail. Dear oh dear.

We can all see that JDT has Rovers playing shite football and it looks like he won't change it. Losing 10 games before Xmas indicates we will definitely not finish in the top 6.

stop moaning we are 2nd

''            ''                 ''        3rd

'             ''                  ''        5th

''            ''                   ''        8th

everybody would have taken 8th at the beginning of the season.......

It's the go to case for the defence whilst they miss the point like a Harry Kane second penalty.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, tomphil said:

Attacking players can move all they want but when the ball is constantly finding opposition players instead of them it makes little difference.

Though don't agree 100% with JDT assessment  - if players don't move to receive passes it leads to players either making too ambitious passes (and giving the ball away) or getting caught in possession. Pass and move is the corner stone of most good teams - and if done properly can overcome limited players. However, when not working, possibly due to good press by the opposition - surely you try going longer to negate the benefit of the high press ? Playing through the lines of the high press has occasionally led to some great team goals, but more often has led to opposition goals.

20 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Though don't agree 100% with JDT assessment  - if players don't move to receive passes it leads to players either making too ambitious passes (and giving the ball away) or getting caught in possession. Pass and move is the corner stone of most good teams - and if done properly can overcome limited players. However, when not working, possibly due to good press by the opposition - surely you try going longer to negate the benefit of the high press ? Playing through the lines of the high press has occasionally led to some great team goals, but more often has led to opposition goals.

The front men are stood there looking towards their own goal whilst we pass it slowly between keeper and defenders. Usually under pressure in one corner of the pitch, nobody looks up they are just looking to work it into the middle. 

Then it's lost under pressure or hoofed down the middle where we don't usually have a centre forward anyway.  I really wouldn't want to be a striker playing in this team so poor is the service.

Unless like you say we do break from the back and play a few nice passes that suddenly results in something being created.  Problem is teams have that sussed now and it rarely worked away from home anyway.

Where is our high press high intensity game ?

Edited by tomphil

29 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Pass and move can work but it has to be done with pace and two touches. We have far too many players who are slow in the footballing mind and execution of play. It's incredible that Tomasson hasn't worked this out yet.

• Like 1