BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Season tickets 2023-24 - what could/should be offered ?

I understand that people feel the season tickets are priced to high. But just to put another view over. Rovers is a business that racks up losses In the millions each year....If season tickets wer cheaper would it make much difference? The way I see it the only way the fan base would increase would be promotion to the Premier  league. That is what happened in 92...Just putting a different perspective out there...

Cheers..

• Like 1

Of course crowds would increase massively on promotion. But these are straw men arguments folk are adding into the debate.

Once again nobody is expecting that as a 7th/8th placed second division side we would suddenly see huge gates, of course we wouldn’t. We should however expect more, even in that far gone time of, err, 2019 we had 10,000+. After 2019 the club then decided to increase prices by hundreds of pounds as our local rivals all reduced prices markedly, said clubs are now selling between 12 and 15k in fellow mid table second (and third) tier. This club has pushed increases by far too much and the result of that policy is with us now

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Doogs said:

I understand that people feel the season tickets are priced to high. But just to put another view over. Rovers is a business that racks up losses In the millions each year....If season tickets wer cheaper would it make much difference? The way I see it the only way the fan base would increase would be promotion to the Premier  league. That is what happened in 92...Just putting a different perspective out there...

Cheers..

Reductions in prices have seen significant increases in ST's sold at Rovers in the past.

The same happened at Bolton/PNE last summer. 

The question Waggott is concerned with is would he get the same revenue from dropping prices and increasing ST sales? Nobody knows until he tries, including him. But he isn't willing to try, so that's that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Reductions in prices have seen significant increases in ST's sold at Rovers in the past.

The same happened at Bolton/PNE last summer. 

The question Waggott is concerned with is would he get the same revenue from dropping prices and increasing ST sales? Nobody knows until he tries, including him. But he isn't willing to try, so that's that. 

I read that this summer's Super Saver was £20 cheaper than last summer. Given that the numbers exceeded the club's target, you'd think that should tell him something.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, goozburger said:

I read that this summer's Super Saver was £20 cheaper than last summer. Given that the numbers exceeded the club's target, you'd think that should tell him something.

Quite, which is hopefully brought up with him.....in the same way he chose to highlight lack of sales of end-of-season ticket bundles as a reason why reduced prices of ST's do not translate to increased sales of ST's (even though there is no correlation between the two products)

52 minutes ago, Doogs said:

Cheers..

Bolton (that’s third tier Bolton) had their early bird on sale 2.5 months before us, and sold over 14,000 as of 11th April.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2023/april/this-is-home--202324-season-tickets-now-on-sale/

Taking purely that figure and imagining they didn’t sell a single season ticket more (they have done) at let’s assume full cheapest adult price of £219 that equates to a revenue from just those 14,000 of £3,066,000. 

If you take ours (circa 6.8k) at full adult price of our saver period that gives a revenue of £2,557,200.

So third tier Bolton have sold OVER DOUBLE our season tickets in the early bird period, AND had them on sale 2.5 months prior to ours, giving people time to save and pay, for £150 less, and have made (theoretically) £500k more. 

That’s before those 8/9000 more fans they’ll have holding season tickets by the end of play have spent a single pound on shirts, food, drink, any other prize draws, programmes…

There are some assumptions in there of course. Some will be young adults, some children, but this is purely illustrative purposes. 

Giving people one pay day to fork up £400 and the only incentive you have for them is “we’ll increase it by £50 if you don’t” is, what the French would call, fucking stupid.

24 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Lets not forget the swaggott tax of no £20 club cash this time with season ticket, so technically there is a further hidden £20 increase in the season tickets 

I didn't realise that, the robbing so-and-so.

Yet more short sightedness.

Encouraging people into the shop with a voucher in hand would likely encourage a bigger spend. Now people won't bother going in in the first place.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

That's on a par with Mowbray's "it's not 1995 anymore" comment, imo, and quite frankly, to hear/read it from a fan, as a seemingly indirect attempt at defending these season ticket sales and the berks running the show, is incredible.

You are aware, I presume, of the damage that the owners have done to this club and the fanbase? 10,000 fans walked away in 2012. Some because of relegation, yes, but many in disgust at what was going on at the club in terms of who was running it and how.

John Williams himself felt he had no choice but to walk away, we've had Salgado openly talking about a beautiful club being ruined, we've had Morten laying into people for furthering their own agendas at the club.

The club and the fanbase has never recovered from those days. Some still question what might be happening at the club. Yet the "venky thing" is bollocks? The real reason for low ticket sales is Shearer isn't playing here anymore? Unbelievable.

I don't doubt you have heard people mention Shearer to you, but that doesn't apply to the thousands who have walked away and who refuse to return.

The very essence of the club has been ruined and dismantled since 2010, the club turned into a shell with a big cloud hanging over it, most of us hoping we can make it back up to the Prem somehow, hoping that might result in the cloud deciding to piss off.

You've admitted yourself that Rovers isn't a normal club under these owners. The situation isn't normal, nothing has been normal about the last 13 years.

So why then, are you using a £10 ticket deal against Reading as a stick to beat the fans with? That's exactly what swag and Co are doing to justify current prices.

I'm in little doubt that such lines are being fed to the owners too by people seeking to cover their own backs.

"Oh those fans? They aren't happy because Shearer and Sutton aren't here anymore, we can't do much about them sadly, but we do have an 82 percent renewal rate and are on track for the best sales in years".

Crack on.

Shit fans.

Aye.

I've never accepted the Venky argument, I don't believe people who say it,otherwise we wouldn't get the bigger crowds as and when we do get them. 

The trouble on here is, you can't give any kind of counter argument as to why tickets can't be shifted without being accused of being a Waggott sympathiser, your reply only goes to to prove it. 

I'm not beating anyone with anything regarding the Reading game, but it only went to prove that it isn't just about pricing, just because it didn't suit your purpose doesn't mean it wasn't correct. 

I personally think the aim should be to try to fill the lower tiers.it would make a massive difference, even without the Darwen end lower. If we could sell those, then it could well work with much lower prices. 

As a season ticket holder, I have no problem whatsoever with the club selling cheaper single tickets, or match bundles. There's nothing I'd like more than actually having to queue to get in. Hopefully we'll get off to a flier and the numbers pick up significantly as we go along. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

You can make games as cheap as you want midweek, you ain’t getting a load of walk ons, ergo Reading, on a Tuesday night, in March, was a stupid game to choose for the only tenner offer all season, of course it wasn’t packed  - though even that game was substantially busier than a normal midweek - why? Price.

You make a weekend game a tenner, that will also be far busier than a normal weekend game - why? Price. 

Bolton stuck in League 1 now sell double our STs, PNE substantially more as a fellow Championship mid table club, why? Price. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Doogs said:

Cheers..

We had 10k until Waggot turned up determined to drag the prices from one of the cheapest to one of the dearest. Doing that alongside covid and now a cost of living crisis has lead us to where we are.

Meanwhile we can still pull in 14/15k when the interest is there and match tickets are sensible and we only have to look across to Bolton and Preston to see the effect cheaper STs have.  Those clubs also run up losses of millions and dont have the billionaire benefactors we have.

It doesn't need Prem football to boost home crowds to more respectable levels it just needs some critical thinking and a pair of balls.

Cheers

• Like 3

Season Ticket Estimate

Latest: 8,080 (+44)

Notes:

• The estimate is based upon the total number of saleable seats to home supporters (18,210), minus the amount of unavailable (sold) seats.
  • (+xx) represents the difference in season ticket sales from the previous estimate (usually 24 hours).
  • 159 seats in block W01 are marked as unavailable (sold), but are not saleable due to being cordoned-off. These are therefore excluded from the season ticket estimate.
  • 376 seats for supporters requiring ground-level font-row access are marked as unavailable (sold), but appear to be block-reserved rather than fully sold. These are therefore excluded from the season ticket estimate.
  • A seat is marked as unavailable for up to 28 minutes when added to the basket. It is not possible to exclude these from the estimate.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Old Rover said:

Preston have confirmed they have sold 11.000  season tickets after their early bird offer finished this morning. Not bad for them. They seem delighted.

They had similar numbers last season top....made for a full stadium for a lot of the season.

2 hours ago, Old Rover said:

Preston have confirmed they have sold 11.000  season tickets after their early bird offer finished this morning. Not bad for them. They seem delighted.

Another easy comparison:

11,000 early birds at £280 = £3,080,000

6.8k at £379 = £2,577,200

Another team with a cheaper season ticket but ultimately more revenue, before they've even walked through the turnstile, a better atmosphere in and around the ground... it really isn't rocket science. 

19 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Another easy comparison:

11,000 early birds at £280 = £3,080,000

6.8k at £379 = £2,577,200

Another team with a cheaper season ticket but ultimately more revenue, before they've even walked through the turnstile, a better atmosphere in and around the ground... it really isn't rocket science. 

Indeed it isn't.

Do we have any evidence to support the theory that knocking £100 off our price will add another 4k+ season ticket holders?

Edited by JohnD

20 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Do we have any evidence to support the theory that knocking £100 off our price will add another 4k+ season ticket holders?

Of course there isn't as of today's era, but in 2009 we reduced prices by £100 and sold 4k+ more.

I'm sure the counter argument will be "but that was premier league", but reducing the prices by £100 led to season ticket sales being higher than anything since the summer of 1995.

We'd finished 15th in 2008/09

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/4510423.blackburn-rovers-verge-breaking-season-tickets-sales-record/

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

It’s the knee jerk response you hear from a load of fans away from here: ‘no point reducing as we won’t ever sell anymore outside the Prem’…

Bolton and PNE have well and truly shot that fox.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2