BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (a) - 28/02/23 (FA Cup 5th Round)

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

We had it for the 3rd round tie against Newcastle a few years back.

It was controversially used in the first game but not in the replay, when they went in front with an offside goal in extra time.

Mowbray whinged about it here.

Not only that, their equaliser at St. James' Park was from a soft VAR awarded penalty too. Felt cheated.

47 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Cameron Stewart, Simeon Jackson, Tony Watt, Jay Spearing, Chris Brown, Luke Varney.

Endless list of shite in that era. A lot of issues on the commercial side, but by god the playing side is in a different place...

A depressing list. And if people have forgotten Chris Taylor from that era, how about Paul Taylor? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

I believe the big lump was Danny Shittu. 6ft5 unit of a man. Its telling that that single game sticks out in so many minds given the sheer amount of dross that came both before and after. It really was the most clueless, bang your head against a brick wall game/tactics I've ever seen.

Just summed up that era, a home win against Millwall would have taken us to a Wembley FA Cup semi final against Wigan and we threw in a shocking 1-0 defeat in front of less than 9k fans

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, superniko said:

Just summed up that era, a home win against Millwall would have taken us to a Wembley FA Cup semi final against Wigan and we threw in a shocking 1-0 defeat in front of less than 9k fans

Just watched the highlights and my god it was grim. Was like a morgue, such a toxic time. Makes you appreciate the last few years even though ther weren't perfect.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Did this include Villanueva at Blyth Spartans?

The Cup match vs United: I was in church when Danny scored, gametracking it. Much to my wife’s chagrin, I fistpumped. 

Mourinho had to put in Zlatan & Pogba to get a win that day, about the last happy moment of the season before dropping to League 1.  

I also remember beating Newcastle both times, by identical 1-0 scores. Both goals by Charlie Mulgrew. (Had to check this, I initially thought Duffy, it was Mulgrew. What a great penalty shot taker Mulgrew was!) 

Edited by WacoRover

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

The Cup match vs United: I was in church when Danny scored, gametracking it. Much to my wife’s chagrin, I fistpumped. 

Mourinho had to put in Zlatan & Pogba to get a win that day, about the last happy moment of the season before dropping to League 1.  

I also remember beating Newcastle both times, by identical 1-0 scores. Both goals by Charlie Mulgrew. (Had to check this, I initially thought Duffy, it was Mulgrew. What a great penalty shot taker Mulgrew was!) 

One was a superb under-the-wall free kick, if I remember rightly? The home game?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Good to see Duffer in full flow. 

That game was a mad one, I remember the blizzard coming down just after half time as Sutton scored that chip, lots of people didn't really witness it as they were all settling down for the second half and getting their coats on 'cause of the weather. I thought that team were going to go onto great things.

Sutton was my favourite player as a kid, I liked the underdog act to Shearer and the fact he had a nasty streak, hard to play against. I had the copper away kit with his name on wish I still had that now.

He scored my most memorable FA Cup goal in the 2-2 away draw at West Ham, down to 10 men after that little sh*t Berkovic got Gallacher sent off. Coupled with the coach getting pelted as we entered the ground, it set me off on a lifetime's journey of hating on the 'ammers. I was right behind the goal when Sutty scored, and you could see every muscle in his neck and face straining to win that header, and the way he celebrated with the fans...amazing. He was a proper player, he could hold the ball up and keep it there, all elbows and a boney arse sticking into the defenders 😂. Not many like him any more. 

Anyway, watching these clips is getting me proper fired up for tonight, come on lads! COYB!

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 1