BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

FAC Q/F v Sheffield United (a) - 19/3/23, 12pm K/O

1 minute ago, booth said:

There were two moments in the game where the ball was crossed in and he either wasn't there or completely missed.

Looking at the replays it was because he was jogging into the box ball watching rather than running in to get onto the end of one.

Spot on. With a goal scoring centre forward today we could be won.

• Like 3

I’ve tried to calm down a bit before I comment.

Changing to 5 at the back backfired today, but if it had seen the game out for us, it would have been a masterstoke.

Agree with a couple who said that we should have bolstered the midfield instead. But it shouldn’t be forgotten that they were having a few chances just before the changes were made, so a change was needed.

And Sheffield missed some excellent chances in both halves - like the 1-on-1, for example.

But we should have scored 3/4 ourselves and the boys should be proud of this run.

And now back to the priority of securing a play off spot. Imagine beating this team of cavemen at Wembley to get us back to the Prem (with a last minute screamer)…

Edited by Andy
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No he isn't. Gallagher creates the impression of doing something. but at the end of the day he can't be arsed getting into the correct positions from which he is likely to score.

That's not effort you're complaining about. The lad basically needs oxygen after 80 mins every game through busting a gut.

You're complaining about a lack of striker's instinct, which he definitely lacks.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BigBar said:

Will he accept responsibility for the subs and hold his hands up that the changes and timing were the reason we went from Wembley to being eliminated immediately after. I don't want him caned but it be nice if he held his hands up and said he got that wrong.

The decisions that went against us were long gone so you can't turn to them as the reason

Oh, with respect, @BigBar, I think we can.

Even if the Referee hadn't shown the Sheffield United defender a Red card before BBD took the penalty, he could - and, arguably - should have shown him a second yellow about halfway through the first half.

Which would have left Sheff U with 10 v. 11 for at least 65+ minutes of the game. Obviously, I can't prove that that would have seen us through; but it would have made our job much easier.

• Like 3

Might seem harsh after a very good performance for 80 mins today but everything Conte said about Spurs yesterday applies to us albeit at a lower level. There's been a losing mentality at the Club, probably since Mark Hughes left.

Losing the game today after leading twice and not even making it to extra time after leading with ten minutes to go. Three out of three chances of a trip to Wembley for an FA Cup semi final spurned with defeat in the quarters.. Not even  one finish in the play off positions in eleven (?) seasons in the Championship. A shocking indictment.

Can we start to put that habit of failure  right by at least finishing in the play off positions this season? Let's hope so but I fully expect us to somehow contrive to miss out even if success looks likely come the business end.

• Like 3

Well it was a great game !

Very disappointed to lose but I found a couple of positives.

We won't have to watch as we lose 9-0 to Haaland live on TV.

We won't have to see close ups of the owners in the Royal Box and listen to the BBC tell us what great owners they are.

I really enjoyed the match.

I just wish Hedges shot had gone in off the post and JDT didn't make those subs.

But 2 cup runs and a play off place still to play for, not one of us expected that at the start of the season. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, XLM said:

That's not effort you're complaining about. The lad basically needs oxygen after 80 mins every game through busting a gut.

You're complaining about a lack of striker's instinct, which he definitely lacks.

Each to their own but chasing after a lost cause you've no chance of getting to make it look like you're doing something isn't putting in effort in my book.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Might seem harsh after a very good performance for 80 mins today but everything Conte said about Spurs yesterday applies to us albeit at a lower level. There's been a losing mentality at the Club, probably since Mark Hughes left.

Losing the game today after leading twice and not even making it to extra time after leading with ten minutes to go. Three out of three chances of a trip to Wembley for an FA Cup semi final spurned with defeat in the quarters.. Not even  one finish in the play off positions in eleven (?) seasons in the Championship. A shocking indictment.

Can we start to put that habit of failure  right by at least finishing in the play off positions this season? Let's hope so but I fully expect us to somehow contrive to miss out even if success looks likely come the business end.

I agree on many points , a similar fate in 93 with one of the greatest winners of all time ....Albeit without several centre forwards ...

We do appear to be improving though . 

Just heading back, absolutely gutted. We played well but that isn’t good enough, we should have won and we didn’t. No one can question Gallagher’s effort but he just isn’t a goal scorer and also, he doesn’t seem to be a lucky player. The same happened at Leicester, Britain’s introduction cost us and once that equaliser went in, I don’t think we were ever going to have enough in the tank to win in extra time, alas we didn’t even get that chance. The referee was bloody awful, gave us nothing. I just hope that the disappointment will spur the lads on to make the play offs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Well it was a great game !

Very disappointed to lose but I found a couple of positives.

We won't have to watch as we lose 9-0 to Haaland live on TV.

We won't have to see close ups of the owners in the Royal Box and listen to the BBC tell us what great owners they are.

I really enjoyed the match.

I just wish Hedges shot had gone in off the post and JDT didn't make those subs.

But 2 cup runs and a play off place still to play for, not one of us expected that at the start of the season. 

A very measured post that I agree with wholly. I’d be at the game, but something about the owners getting any level of credit would incense me.

It’s been an excellent season and there have been excellent moments. There are huge gaps in the operation but with those filled, we would definitely make a return to the top table. Part of me suspects that it’s “better” in the long run to actually build a foundation for it, so we have half a chance of staying up there but the opportunity has been so distant for us, you have to do everything possible to take it and deal with the repercussions once you’re up there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I can't agree that the game should have been stopped for a head injury. Clutching there JDT. Not sure if he got poked in the eye but it wasn't a head injury so it clearly wasn't concussion or blood gushing out.

Just silly.

I thought the game had to be stopped for a suspected head injury

Maybe @arbitro  can clarify.

Edited by wilsdenrover

Gutted, but extremely proud.

I can’t add much more right now, but we should all be bursting with pride.

This head injury stuff doesn’t wash, play to the whistle.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They had 3 central strikers on, I don’t see what else he could have done. The only problem was both subs we brought on have had nil game time recently.

Like I said in my first post post game that Brittain and Wharton couldn't get into the game and up to speed quickly enough. 

Maybe he could go 3 in midfield by bringing on Garrett for Hedges or Szmodics and gone 4-1-4-1 with Travis sat in deeper midfield role protecting the back 4. 

43 minutes ago, roverandout said:

You never enjoy losing in a huge fa cup quarter final. I feel nothing but apathy right now

The players gave it all and that's every single player did. I am very proud of Rovers, the players and JDT today. 

Was a cracking game to watch live, good atmosphere, lots of chances and plenty of moments of (false) hope.

My observations:

- Suicidal substitutions. Trying to shut up shop was all wrong. Brittain was well off it when he came on.

- Could have been so different if Hedges shot had gone in.

- Morton - just a poor poor footballer for me. Gave it away loads but sure he’ll be first choice next game.

- Opponents - just a horrible team with equally horrible fans. They deserve everything they hopefully get re points deductions

Anyway. Onwards and upwards. Hopefully more to come in the league.

• Like 6