BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

• Backroom
5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

No shame in that of course, but pity it didn't work out for him too. Yet another Wharton brother coming through the club would have been quite something. The family have done great to churn out two talented pros though.

I’m led to believe he preferred cricket like their dad.

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I’m led to believe he preferred cricket like their dad.

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard more than once that he was the most talented of the 3...

• Backroom
3 hours ago, premier fan said:

As a Crystal Palace fan I just want to say what a fantastic player we’ve bought from you guys. He just does the basics so well. Control, passing, tackling etc… nothing outrageous but just so consistent. He covers the pitch very well and is very disciplined in his positioning. Well ahead of his age. He stepped up to the team because we had a number of injuries in that position and he’s gone from strength to strength. I honestly hope he stays with us for many years and we can get some sort of success - cup or European place. 

He will move where his best chances of trophies are. He’s too good to have no ambition.

I doubt he’ll be in a rush or anything, but I think he’ll move on from Palace by summer 2025 to a club with aspirations of multi-trophy wins.

His talent is the kind that improves in line with that of his teammates. If you can keep a core (like Olise, Eze etc) you can build around, you might keep him. But I think even a top 6 finish wouldn’t stop him from moving to a club like Arsenal/City.

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard more than once that he was the most talented of the 3...

I think if that were true he’d be at a higher level than Langho. But if you mean cricket, then yes absolutely.

6 hours ago, premier fan said:

As a Crystal Palace fan I just want to say what a fantastic player we’ve bought from you guys. He just does the basics so well. Control, passing, tackling etc… nothing outrageous but just so consistent. He covers the pitch very well and is very disciplined in his positioning. Well ahead of his age. He stepped up to the team because we had a number of injuries in that position and he’s gone from strength to strength. I honestly hope he stays with us for many years and we can get some sort of success - cup or European place. 

We honestly hope you sell him for zillions, then we can at least get some decent money for all we did.

6 hours ago, premier fan said:

when olise,mateta,anderson,guehi,wharton and eze end up at bigger clubs you`ll be in the championship as well!!!!!!!!! you only got him because our owners and ceo are useless morons,if we`de held on for another season he would`nt have come anywhere near your decrepit shed like ground

• Like 1

Absolutely delighted for Adam and feel privileged to have seen him playing at Rovers.

From what I am aware, Adam has triggered the additional payments in the transfer now so Palace will pay GBP23m for him.

There is a 15% of profit clause on him so I think we can be reasonably certain that another GBP10m will come our way and potentially pretty soon. Palace are sure to demand close to GBP100m.

Newcastle are at their FFP limit so could not bid. Everton desperately wanted him but are totally screwed.

By going to Palace he joined a club on the up (4 in the England squad plus almost certainly Mateta will be getting international recognition) AND was certain of starting which wouldn't have been the case at Newcastle.

Adam's first game for Palace included a few mistakes but since then he has looked far more at home in the Premier League than ever he did playing for us. Who would have credited him being statistically the number 1 midfielder in the Prem for tackles and interceptions? But that is where he is.  Huge credit. to JDT and t6he coaching team at Rovers for that.

Finally, had he stayed at Ewood, would he be in the England squad?

PS I believe there is a sell on for Kaminsky

• Like 4

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Absolutely delighted for Adam and feel privileged to have seen him playing at Rovers.

From what I am aware, Adam has triggered the additional payments in the transfer now so Palace will pay GBP23m for him.

There is a 15% of profit clause on him so I think we can be reasonably certain that another GBP10m will come our way and potentially pretty soon. Palace are sure to demand close to GBP100m.

Newcastle are at their FFP limit so could not bid. Everton desperately wanted him but are totally screwed.

By going to Palace he joined a club on the up (4 in the England squad plus almost certainly Mateta will be getting international recognition) AND was certain of starting which wouldn't have been the case at Newcastle.

Adam's first game for Palace included a few mistakes but since then he has looked far more at home in the Premier League than ever he did playing for us. Who would have credited him being statistically the number 1 midfielder in the Prem for tackles and interceptions? But that is where he is.  Huge credit. to JDT and t6he coaching team at Rovers for that.

Finally, had he stayed at Ewood, would he be in the England squad?

PS I believe there is a sell on for Kaminsky

The last bit I agree with totally it's done his career the world of good moving when he did. So as much as I'd of loved him to stay around I can't say it hasn't worked out perfectly for him. Could we have got more? Yeah. But when you look at just in recent seasons the ash Phillips deal and even the Raya one. We never get a good fee. At the time I know it's only the end of January. The fee was reasonable for a player in a struggling championship side with just over a year's first time experience. The fact he's gone on to do so well after moving doesn't change that unfortunately.

Posted (edited)

Wait, he wouldn’t have made the England squad on the back of a season with Sam Gallagher et al? Who knew!

It was only seen as a remotely reasonsble fee because he was bundled out the door to the first bidder after only 18 months of first team experience due to a fire sale. Of course we were never going to get more in that scenario - doesn’t mean Palace didn’t get the bargain of the century.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Danny O.Brien said:

The last bit I agree with totally it's done his career the world of good moving when he did. So as much as I'd of loved him to stay around I can't say it hasn't worked out perfectly for him. Could we have got more? Yeah. But when you look at just in recent seasons the ash Phillips deal and even the Raya one. We never get a good fee. At the time I know it's only the end of January. The fee was reasonable for a player in a struggling championship side with just over a year's first time experience. The fact he's gone on to do so well after moving doesn't change that unfortunately.

The fact he has now tripled his value is down to playing 16 games for Palace? He is playing with and against better players I'll give you that but Palace took advantage of our perilous financial situation and knew we needed money. It was the first offer they made and Rovers snapped their hands off. Parrish played a blinder and knew the cards were stacked in his favour. The bid was timed to perfection as He had done his homework and knew that an Indian court had adjourned the case resulting in no money coming over. They knew what they were getting and exploited our financial situation.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The fact he has now tripled his value is down to playing 16 games for Palace? He is playing with and against better players I'll give you that but Palace took advantage of our perilous financial situation and knew we needed money. It was the first offer they made and Rovers snapped their hands off. Parrish played a blinder and knew the cards were stacked in his favour. The bid was timed to perfection as He had done his homework and knew that an Indian court had adjourned the case resulting in no money coming over. They knew what they were getting and exploited our financial situation.

That's exactly why I am of the firm opinion that the owners cannot send any more funds over, until the court hearing at the earliest.

Edited by lraC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I agree we shouldn't have sold in January but wasn't it their second bid?

I thought we had rejected a bid from palace a week or so prior to accepting their renewed bid?

• Like 2

Wasn't it also the case that Rovers set a minimum fee for Wharton at which the club would sell? If that's the case Palace were the only club that met our valuation and as far as I'm aware other clubs looked but weren't prepared to pay. Wharton's done well at Palace so far but despite his talent it wasn't a foregone conclusion that he would be a success and there's numerous examples of top players who struggle when they move clubs. The hand-wringing over the fee doesn't make sense: Wharton's fee is among the highest ever for a player who has moved from the Championship to the Premier League

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I thought we had rejected a bid from palace a week or so prior to accepting their renewed bid?

I was told it was their first bid and came in on the Monday of the Wrexham game. Adam and his representatives were told that the bid had been accepted and he was immediately pulled from the team to play against Wrexham although it was later agreed he could be on the bench but wouldn't be coming on. The day after he was on an early train to London.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Wasn't it also the case that Rovers set a minimum fee for Wharton at which the club would sell? If that's the case Palace were the only club that met our valuation and as far as I'm aware other clubs looked but weren't prepared to pay. Wharton's done well at Palace so far but despite his talent it wasn't a foregone conclusion that he would be a success and there's numerous examples of top players who struggle when they move clubs. The hand-wringing over the fee doesn't make sense: Wharton's fee is among the highest ever for a player who has moved from the Championship to the Premier League

What’s gone on before is irrelevant. However if you want to look at it like that, when did the last player go from the championship to the England squad in 4 months. That should tell you all you need to know. The lad is special, he’s a natural, even a blind man on a galloping horse could see that. 

On another point, the money is also irrelevant because we wouldn’t have seen any of it irrespective of the fee. It’d just allow the Chicken Chokers to go on wrecking the club a bit longer.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was told it was their first bid and came in on the Monday of the Wrexham game. Adam and his representatives were told that the bid had been accepted and he was immediately pulled from the team to play against Wrexham although it was later agreed he could be on the bench but wouldn't be coming on. The day after he was on an early train to London.

BBC ,sky and other outlets have us turning down a deal totalling £18.5 million on the 25th of January, JDT also commented that he was delighted we had turned down the bid and he had told the club that a summer sale was better 

Then 48 hours later Palace returned with a bid totalling £22.5 million which was accepted according to the media 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, islander200 said:

BBC ,sky and other outlets have us turning down a deal totalling £18.5 million on the 25th of January, JDT also commented that he was delighted we had turned down the bid and he had told the club that a summer sale was better 

Then 48 hours later Palace returned with a bid totalling £22.5 million which was accepted according to the media 

The information I was given was that we accepted the first offer which came on the day of the Wrexham game and the deal actually stalled on the Wednesday with Palace threatening to pull out.

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

And where was the competition?

Rovers and Palace agreed a package of about £18-22m according to who you believe but at no stage as far as we know was there a bidding war. If Wharton was really that good then you would have expected other clubs to come in and give Palace a fight.

Palace are being accused of taking advantage of our financial situation in bidding for Wharton and maybe they were (if the situation were reversed Rovers fans would have been applauding), but they saw an opportunity to sign a promising player and they certainly did not get him "on the cheap". If circa £20m was deemed to be cheap, there would have been bids from other clubs too. 

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers and Palace agreed a package of about £18-22m according to who you believe but at no stage as far as we know was there a bidding war. If Wharton was really that good then you would have expected other clubs to come in and give Palace a fight

Of the clubs rumoured to be interested Palace were the ones who still had room within their transfer cycle to make a bid. The other rumoured interested parties didn't have freed up funds until the summer and couldn't bid without breaking the limits. That's not to say they couldn't have agreed a loan with a view to purchase in the summer but the owners wanted the money now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Palace? Other PL clubs having FFP issues and this club having owners who can’t pay  the bills isn’t their problem.

That’s the game, cracking bit of opportunism on their part - only one set of people to blame.

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers and Palace agreed a package of about £18-22m according to who you believe but at no stage as far as we know was there a bidding war. If Wharton was really that good then you would have expected other clubs to come in and give Palace a fight.

Palace are being accused of taking advantage of our financial situation in bidding for Wharton and maybe they were (if the situation were reversed Rovers fans would have been applauding), but they saw an opportunity to sign a promising player and they certainly did not get him "on the cheap". If circa £20m was deemed to be cheap, there would have been bids from other clubs too. 

I read a few reports after his call up that some clubs had doubts over him physically, and felt he didn't have the stamina they were looking for.

Newcastle where one of those teams according to reports.

We should have held on until the summer but we obviously couldn't due to our owners, and us needing to find money to pay the bills .

The bigger clubs obviously missed a trick with Wharton and although I thought he was worth more I'm of the opinion we wouldn't have got that much more even if we had held onto him.Only so much a club will pay for a 20 year old from the championship.It took him leaving for him to even get a call up to the England under 21s when his more talented than a lot in thst squad.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

The information I was given was that we accepted the first offer which came on the day of the Wrexham game and the deal actually stalled on the Wednesday with Palace threatening to pull out.

Ok.I just went off what the media and JDT said , I'm pretty sure Broughton also said the same that we rejected their first bid but then they met our asking price and we gave permission for him to speak to palace .Either way it doesn't really matter, the best talent the club has produced in years was sold before he could see out a season as a first choice player to pay the bills