BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sean Kimberley the new head of recruitment at Rovers

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

In the old days we had a manager, a trainer, a scout and a secretary. Seemed to work quite well. These job creation schemes with high faluting titles are in large part a waste of money 

Getting to a point where backroom staff just at first team level is almost as big as the squad which is quite ridiculous.

A real wage drain in this stat obsessed business.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

But they have cash and a proper structure in place to run a football club. Only guessing but I don’t think they would have failed so spectacularly when attempting the simple task of registering a player by a known deadline. Just saying !

I think you might have missed the joke I was making mate. It related to a certain manager we had - the first one appointed by Venkys…

• Like 1

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think you might have missed the joke I was making mate. It related to a certain manager we had - the first one appointed by Venkys…

I thought you meant 'highly rated' Connor McBride!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Just checked Wikipedia...

"Stephen Kean (born 30 September 1967) is a Scottish football coach and former player, who is currently the academy director at Hibernian." 

Blimey I did not know he was allowed anywhere near a football club

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JHRover said:

Ordinarily I would see the addition such as this as a positive, a step forward. For too long this club has not operated at a level befitting of its size and stature, particularly when it comes to backroom staff. Too many occasions of the manager and his mates running everything as they want, neglectful ownership allowing a vacuum to exist. Jobs for the boys and a mass exodus and head scratching the moment a manager leaves.

So for that reason I like what Broughton has worked to do since his arrival - bolstering that backroom team with appointments that look to be sensible in the scheme of things, and in theory putting in place a structure that can last longer term

Unfortunately as we saw in January it actually means very little. You can have the best of the best when it comes to coaches, academies, scouts, intentions, but fundamentally in the cut throat world of the Championship you have to be willing and able to get proper signings done at key moments.

We failed.

We can blame Venkys, Waggott, Pasha, Broughton, Gus Williams, Ian Silvestre or the whole lot of them. Doesn't matter. What matters is we failed to get what we needed to do done.

Since then the only change made public has been for Gus Williams to walk off to another job and replace him with Kimberley. I'd be surprised and astonished if there was a suggestion that he was responsible for January's debacle.

Other than that  nothing but the usual silence and inertia so my only  conclusion is that the powers that be are quite content with how things went and are sticking with the same people who oversaw it.

I'd say they achieved what they set out to.

• Like 2

On 17/04/2023 at 19:53, Upside Down said:

Hopefully he knows what a striker looks like.

"Kimberley will head up a department that has been strengthened extensively since the appointment of Gregg Broughton as director of football last summer, including the return of a head of European scouting."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23470914.recruitment-chief-outlines-simple-blackburn-rovers-transfer-remit/

Ummmm....?!

58 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

"Kimberley will head up a department that has been strengthened extensively since the appointment of Gregg Broughton as director of football last summer, including the return of a head of European scouting."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23470914.recruitment-chief-outlines-simple-blackburn-rovers-transfer-remit/

Ummmm....?!

?

34 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

"Strengthened extensively..." I am not sure I would agree that GB has strengthened us "extensively.."

Strengthened the recruitment team extensively and a number of appointments have been made in recruitment since Broughton rocked up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neilbristol said:

"Strengthened extensively..." I am not sure I would agree that GB has strengthened us "extensively.."

He means in terms of bringing in recruitment staff into the team which didn't have much, scouting and data analysis tools. 

That's what is meant by that Comment

• Like 1