BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23

3 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

Can we get this trending in time for Millwall - 

Hayden Carter number 9, up top. 

Take a leaf out of Big Sams book and play someone with presence up their. Hes shown more in the box than anyone else with 1 header. 

Thomas Dack Szmodics

Carter 

Get it in the final 3rd, play off him. 

I wish we’d chucked Ayala up top last night

32 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Given the wage differential, I suspect Adam Armstrong would be averse.

Wages are often shared between clubs on loan deals and sometimes permanent deals. Given his struggles at Southampton, it might suit all parties

• J*B unpinned this topic
4 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I'm calling now,

With a week to go until the season starts, we will still be "working on a striker".

And Ethan Brierley does not count.

Harsh. Just because he's a footballer doesn't mean he can't handle basic arithmetic.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely the most important thing is results/the league table. And we haven't improved. Nor do I think your seat faces the pitch if you have found us entertaining this season!

Like others have said our performances have been good and we just lacking that quality striker/finisher to finish it off. 

I have found at times our attacking play when we play with quick tempo and short passing entertaining and what I want to see more of. Also I like the Coventry game cos how Carter and Hyam stopped their star striker and control the game against top 6 rival until their keeper handball in the goal

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

What was clear from the opening 45 minutes yesterday is that even the best teams in the league can't cope with us when we pass the ball quickly. Our movement is excellent and drags the opposition where they don't wat to go. 

Exactly and its been my point for most of the season then we play quick tempo short passing football teams can't cope with him. I want to see more of this going forward and next season. Time to back JDT with some quality signings

JDT leaving would be a disaster. 

1000% agree

Results have, performances haven't.

totally agree

56 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I wish we’d chucked Ayala up top last night

to do what? Leonard shown what we need someone to run into the channel/behind their centre backs and turn their back line. 

Bringing on Ayala would suited their defenders like Bradley

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

to do what? Leonard shown what we need someone to run into the channel/behind their centre backs and turn their back line. 

Funny how the only time we managed to get the ball in the back of the net was a header from a centre back.

I’d have put Leonard on as well (a lot earlier than Tomasson did). I thought him and Sorba Thomas were effective when they eventually got on, but I’d have thrown Ayala up top too as we were desperate for goals… if nothing else it might have encouraged Hyam to knock one long instead of playing one-twos with Pears in Brittain in injury time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I enjoyed it at Ewood yesterday (the result could have been better) a big bank holiday crowd and a happy atmosphere. Heres to Rovers promotion next season.

There was a lot to enjoy about the day except the knowledge that no matter how well we play we can't score goals. And compared to recent performances we didn't play as well, and Luton even being abysmal all over the pitch looked way more dangerous with the direct ball. 

But you can look at the team and see how we will be a really good side with a couple of additions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like others have said our performances have been good and we just lacking that quality striker/finisher to finish it off. 

I have found at times our attacking play when we play with quick tempo and short passing entertaining and what I want to see more of. Also I like the Coventry game cos how Carter and Hyam stopped their star striker and control the game against top 6 rival until their keeper handball in the goal

Exactly and its been my point for most of the season then we play quick tempo short passing football teams can't cope with him. I want to see more of this going forward and next season. Time to back JDT with some quality signings

1000% agree

totally agree

We have rarely looked like scoring in the last few weeks and months, just a couple of decent chances a game. 

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We have rarely looked like scoring in the last few weeks and months, just a couple of decent chances a game. 

I do ponder how much is down to lack of a striker - as we aren't making and missing loads of clear cut chances. But I do think it is fine margins - we seem to be making the wrong decisions far too often in the final third - is this down to a decent striker to stretch the opposition ? It isn't just about them scoring goals - but intelligent running off the ball to create space for other players - though past his best Vardy is the perfect example of this.

I really hope that JDT is here next season - you can see what he is trying to do - and with a bit more luck with injuries and better assistance with recruitment we would have made top 6 this season (of course still can). Though we do need a couple of decent players (minimum) to bolster the first team - I do think we could be well equipped next season if JDT is still here. We have a number of players like Wharton that will only benefit from their experience this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I do ponder how much is down to lack of a striker - as we aren't making and missing loads of clear cut chances. But I do think it is fine margins - we seem to be making the wrong decisions far too often in the final third - is this down to a decent striker to stretch the opposition ? It isn't just about them scoring goals - but intelligent running off the ball to create space for other players - though past his best Vardy is the perfect example of this.

I really hope that JDT is here next season - you can see what he is trying to do - and with a bit more luck with injuries and better assistance with recruitment we would have made top 6 this season (of course still can). Though we do need a couple of decent players (minimum) to bolster the first team - I do think we could be well equipped next season if JDT is still here. We have a number of players like Wharton that will only benefit from their experience this season.

I do agree that a big part of chance creation is having the movement from attackers to get into positions in the first place. But equally, I haven't seen a real upturn in performances and I don't see the evidence of an attacking setup that is just missing that finishing touch. 

I would agree that Tomasson hopefully will stay but I don't think this season has been a progression on last as evident with our points tally. Much of that stems from above him though.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Since October, we have scored more than one at home once.

What's that got to do with performances? We were winning more games when we were playing shit. 

A blind man on a galloping horse can see we've progressed as a team, are playing far better football and dominating matches.

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

With Luton it's not just the recruitment, it's the organisation and ethos behind the team - their pragmatism, not giving much away, not playing pretty passing but effective football, and have a manager (and the previous one who went to Soton) who can spot a team's weakness and who don't give anything away

I hate writing this about what is really another small rubbish southern club

You can be more organised when you've got two behemoths up front to rely upon. Jesus Christ would struggle to organise a team with the likes of Gallagher, Dolan and Brereton. One who runs around like he's had a head injury, one who's forgotten that we're still paying his wages and another who thinks he can run through defenders and forgets he's allowed to pass. Then there's Hedges who is the most frustratingly inconsistent player, yet capable of occasional brilliance, we've had for a while - this was also what Hibs fans thought of him btw. And finally there's Travis who in the last few games has been awful, a liability on occasion with terrible passes back to the defence/keeper without looking, causing mayhem. Just what you need from your captain. A great way to put your fellow players under pressure and on edge, and give the opposition a boost.

So good luck to the next guy taking over, he's going to have to be really special to get a tune out of the likes of that lot next season. I trust we'll appoint an out of work gem.

Besides all that, no matter what any of you say we haven't been playing terrible lately and given a goalscorer or two we'd have made the play offs or better. I watched the match last night and didn't think Luton were that great tbh, just organised at the back, but overall they conceded possession more than we did. It was the same with Coventry, Preston and dare I say it Burnley. We'd have beaten all of them if recruitment had put a shift in even with the tippy tappy stuff.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

What's that got to do with performances? We were winning more games when we were playing shit. 

A blind man on a galloping horse can see we've progressed as a team, are playing far better football and dominating matches.

I can't personally say we are progressing when results have regressed. But solely on performances, I wouldn't personally agree that we are playing far better football. Even recently, yesterday, v Burnley, v Coventry, v Hull and v Norwich, not many chances created or much threat offered. Of course we all agree that we need a better front line, but I don't think I can agree that we are dominating in the absence of that. More of the ball but predominantly in our own half.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, booth said:

Luton were that great tbh, just organised at the back, but overall they conceded possession more than we did.

Luton weren't "great" - and that's the point, you don't need to be wonderful to get in the playoffs, or even win automatic promotion. They're a bunch of solid, experienced performers who've been round the Championship block a few times, and they knew far too much for us the other night. Our defeat at their place was embarrassing 

• Backroom

Much like with Mowbray, we're far less effective when we dominate possession and 'control' the game. The current squad of players we have are far better suited for counter attacking. Problem is that teams likely figured that out from the first half of the season, and adapted in the second half to allow us to have the ball and control the game, because evidence shows we struggle to score in that scenario. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Much like with Mowbray, we're far less effective when we dominate possession and 'control' the game.

That has been the case on occasion but the Luton game is available to watch again for free on RoversTV. We came at them in waves, we just can't put the ball in the net. The evidence is there.

I find the denial of the clear evidence a bit weird (not particularly aimed at you).

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Luton weren't "great" - and that's the point, you don't need to be wonderful to get in the playoffs, or even win automatic promotion. They're a bunch of solid, experienced performers who've been round the Championship block a few times, and they knew far too much for us the other night. Our defeat at their place was embarrassing 

You need goals Jim, and on the pitch (money aside) it's the main thing that separates us from Burnley, Luton, Coventry, Boro, Millwall and Sheffield Utd.

And besides the goals, having a goal threat doesn't allow the opposition to come at you as much. I don't think I've seen one game this season where the opposition hasn't over committed. Without wanting to sound like Gary Bowyer, pretty much everyone has had a "right good go" at us. I've watched Sheffield, Burnley, Luton, Boro when they've been on TV and seen them face far cagier opposition afraid to commit players. Lesser teams know they can do it with us because our expected goals is so low. Not replacing the likes of Travis and Gallagher in Jan has really hurt us.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I can't personally say we are progressing when results have regressed. But solely on performances, I wouldn't personally agree that we are playing far better football. Even recently, yesterday, v Burnley, v Coventry, v Hull and v Norwich, not many chances created or much threat offered. Of course we all agree that we need a better front line, but I don't think I can agree that we are dominating in the absence of that. More of the ball but predominantly in our own half.

The debate was whether we've progressed as a team. We clearly have. We couldn't string a pass together at some points earlier in the season and moves repeatedly broke down on halfway when we ran out of ideas or gave the ball to their attackers. We now get through teams quite easily but as soon as we get in and around the opposition's box if falls apart. The final ball/decision/cross lets us down.

If we sign some quality attackers in the summer we'll see if our current failings are personnel or tactics. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

That has been the case on occasion but the Luton game is available to watch again for free on RoversTV. We came at them in waves, we just can't put the ball in the net. The evidence is there.

I find the denial of the clear evidence a bit weird (not particularly aimed at you).

It is very weird, especially when it's happened in so many games recently. For example the Hedges "chip" wouldn't have happened at any of the other clubs above us, the forwards they have would have put it away.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DE. said:

Much like with Mowbray, we're far less effective when we dominate possession and 'control' the game. The current squad of players we have are far better suited for counter attacking. Problem is that teams likely figured that out from the first half of the season, and adapted in the second half to allow us to have the ball and control the game, because evidence shows we struggle to score in that scenario. 

The nub of it really.  Championship managers had us sussed out by the new year.