BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre season 23/24

28 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Scott Wharton getting a bit of stick on here but he played 2 quality passes that were key to both goals. 

Two good passes and it’s good to see someone carrying the ball forward from the back instead of just passing it square. He was at fault for both the Accy goals though. Especially the second one, he got turned by the centre forward out wide, ran in his wake into the penalty area, then attempted a tackle from behind that was never on. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 08/07/2023 at 08:49, Mattyblue said:

Recent?! How old are you Spartak? 😄

26 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Scott Wharton getting a bit of stick on here but he played 2 quality passes that were key to both goals. 

Scott is a very good CB, what he lacks at the moment is the correct decision making. For the second goal he could have done better to have knocked the ball out for a throw-in and then secondly continued to push their forward away from goal instead of bringing him down. It’s not down to his ability which is great it’s his mental/concentration approach to the game that he needs to improve. 
I’m sure he’ll make it.

1 minute ago, Spartakfenni said:

Scott is a very good CB, what he lacks at the moment is the correct decision making. For the second goal he could have done better to have knocked the ball out for a throw-in and then secondly continued to push their forward away from goal instead of bringing him down. It’s not down to his ability which is great it’s his mental/concentration approach to the game that he needs to improve. 
I’m sure he’ll make it.

Once he allowed the striker to roll him out wide he was struggling. As you say he should have just put the ball out in the first place. He’s making a habit of getting too close to the guy he’s supposed to marking. You need to be close enough so the player can’t turn with the ball but not that close that he can roll you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

I’m sure he’ll make it.

Sadly he was lacking it last season as well that's why he lost his place and maybe why he'd be better loaned out till Jan.

His timing is way off the pace required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rigger said:

It might not be poor shape, it might be, not good enough shape for the Rovers.

Quite possibly yep, I did say previously that I imagine JDT has high standards in that regard 👍

10 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Quite possibly yep, I did say previously that I imagine JDT has high standards in that regard 👍

I think most of us can accept that he might had slight injury and not fit enough for JDT's high standards, but he has been training with the players and he has said how much he is enjoying it here which is very pleasing to hear

• Backroom
3 hours ago, arbitro said:

He came on for about twenty minutes in the second match and did fine. The two sixteen year old centre halves (Davies and Atcheson) were on the bench for both games and before each game were warming up in front of where I was sat. On each occasion Tomasson took time to speak to them both. I haven't a clue what was said but I imagine that these kids felt a million dollars that the manager had singled them out.

Max Davies must have made a hell of an impression. He's one of this years scholars and he's on the plane to Austria!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Madon said:

Max Davies must have made a hell of an impression. He's one of this years scholars and he's on the plane to Austria!

From the games I have seen Atcheson has been the better of the two. As you say though young Davies must have done something outstanding to warrant such an elevation. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JBiz said:

It took me 10 minutes or the first game to remember why I hated long spells of last season and the incessant passing around the back.

Why this is a popular style of football is beyond me. 

what wrong with playing possession football and being technically good plus pressing from the front? 

what style would you prefer us to play?  

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

what wrong with playing possession football and being technically good plus pressing from the front? 

what style would you prefer us to play?  

What a surprise.

Go on, I will bite.

Possession football is further up the pitch, what we do is not that.

This constant playing out from the back is never going to be safe, because we don’t have players technically good enough.

Im all for pressing, but our play generally is depressing because teams know they’ve probably more chance of beating us by letting us have the ball. 

All I want to see is a team setup to get the best results. Ours is predominately setup to add value to players first.

Most of the football in the last 12 months has been dull, imo. 

Edited by JBiz
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, JBiz said:

What a surprise.

Go on, I will bite.

Possession football is further up the pitch, what we do is not that.

This constant playing out from the back is never going to be safe, because we don’t have players technically good enough.

Im all for pressing, but our play generally is depressing because teams know they’ve probably more chance of beating us by letting us have the ball. 

All I want to see is a team setup to get the best results. Ours is predominately setup to add value to players first.

Most of the football in the last 12 months has been dull, imo. 

After the hammering by Rotherham there was a change

Leicester in the cup,Sheffield United at home two excellent performances.

Even in the games we didnt get the result required, Sheffield United(cup) Coventry, Huddersfield away ,Burnley at home we played some very good stuff .

You must have been watching a different team to me as agreed up until January it was slow and boring football but after that we started to play some excellent football, without getting the results our performances warranted.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ossydave said:

So despite a certain someone on here dismissing me saying Ennis turned up in terrible shape, it's blatantly true......at least he's in good hands to whip him into shape.

He has moved up a gear and is neither overweight or unfit, he made the goals set for him by the club fitness wise he has a minor injury and wasn’t to be risked.

JRC was the fittest player out on show yesterday which again debunks the info you were given!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, islander200 said:

After the hammering by Rotherham there was a change

Leicester in the cup,Sheffield United at home two excellent performances.

Even in the games we didnt get the result required, Sheffield United(cup) Coventry, Huddersfield away ,Burnley at home we played some very good stuff .

You must have been watching a different team to me as agreed up until January it was slow and boring football but after that we started to play some excellent football, without getting the results our performances warranted.

Yea Luton at home when we desperately needed points was “excellent football”… we only scored after throwing away the game plan.

Spanked off Norwich, who let us pass around for as long as we wanted, played a direct ball and cut us in half.

Hull at home 0-0 on sky at 8pm, easily the most boring game of the season.

Same against Coventry at home and Preston - whilst you can argue we had some misfortune in all of those games, we didn’t get the result. 

So I’m not sure which games you watched - the only top performances I would’ve picked out, Huddersfield away (but remember our shocking weak as piss defending) and then the stomach punch of Burnley at home.

Just now, JBiz said:

Yea Luton at home when we desperately needed points was “excellent football”… we only scored after throwing away the game plan.

Spanked off Norwich, who let us pass around for as long as we wanted, played a direct ball and cut us in half.

Hull at home 0-0 on sky at 8pm, easily the most boring game of the season.

Same against Coventry at home and Preston - whilst you can argue we had some misfortune in all of those games, we didn’t get the result. 

So I’m not sure which games you watched - the only top performances I would’ve picked out, Huddersfield away (but remember our shocking weak as piss defending) and then the stomach punch of Burnley at home.

Leicester.... Sheffield United both cup and league... disagree on Coventry we controlled the game , QPR away,Millwall away second half,even in the first half we were not passing it around at the back and there were others 

After Rotherham away there wasn't as much passing around at the back.If you couldn't see that fair enough but your seat must not have been facing the pitch 

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Leicester.... Sheffield United both cup and league... disagree on Coventry we controlled the game , QPR away,Millwall away second half,even in the first half we were not passing it around at the back and there were others 

After Rotherham away there wasn't as much passing around at the back.If you couldn't see that fair enough but your seat must not have been facing the pitch 

Islander - just look at the very last competitive game we played. We had to come back from a deficit caused by our ridiculously bad decision making with the ball in our own half.

All caused by playing out from the back. 

It might be worth upping the spectacle prescription.

7 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Islander - just look at the very last competitive game we played. We had to come back from a deficit caused by our ridiculously bad decision making with the ball in our own half.

All caused by playing out from the back. 

It might be worth upping the spectacle prescription.

JBiz....

Look at the season as a whole ,JDT in his first season of English football led us to our highest finish in the championship since relegation from the top flight.

He did this after losing 5/6 players from our strongest 11 from the previous season with Lenihen, Nyambe, Rothwell, Van hecke and Khadra all gone .

He did it without Diaz scoring 20 league goals before Christmas.

I don't believe I'm the only person who saw a change after Rotherham away and there was much less passing around at the back(we still did it ,we still made mistakes from it but the playing around at the back did not happen as much as it did pre Rotherham) 

JDT has done an excellent job so far 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 4

Tomasson explained his reason for playing possession football, it's to showcase the talent of our younger players, and show that they can play that style of football. Only then would the top teams pay big money for them. 

Obviously the plan would be to be successful playing that way, and there were signs in the second half of the season that the players were adapting.

It's all part of the "project", I suppose it's like it or lump it. 

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

JBiz....

Look at the season as a whole ,JDT in his first season of English football led us to our highest finish in the championship since relegation from the top flight.

He did this after losing 5/6 players from our strongest 11 from the previous season with Lenihen, Nyambe, Rothwell, Van hecke and Khadra all gone .

He did it without Diaz scoring 20 league goals before Christmas.

I don't believe I'm the only person who saw a change after Rotherham away and there was much less passing around at the back(we still did it ,we still made mistakes from it but the playing around at the back did not happen as much as it did pre Rotherham) 

JDT has done an excellent job so far 

I am looking it as a whole, it was mainly boring and tepid. Some of the games got me off my seat - the Sheff United game in the league and the cup stuff but ultimately;

He got the same amount of points as the much maligned Mowbray. With a style of football that bored me to death. Each to their own.

• Like 2

Just now, JBiz said:

I am looking it as a whole, it was mainly boring and tepid. Some of the games got me off my seat - the Sheff United game in the league and the cup stuff but ultimately;

He got the same amount of points as the much maligned Mowbray. With a style of football that bored me to death. Each to their own.

After Mowbray had spent 5 years building a squad and implementing his style of play.

JDT was In his first year and of course it will take players time to adapt.

Like I said totally disagree with you the ball was being released much quicker from the back after Rotherham, not sure on this message board but I know a fair few people who agree with that.

• Like 3

Hopefully that will be represented in more points this season which will reduce the amount of discussion about how quickly the ball is being released!

The post mortem discussed by Broughton suggested that all the "metrics" towards the end of the season displayed progression. It did look better on the eye but the lack of points during that period is definitely a concern.

39 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

He has moved up a gear and is neither overweight or unfit, he made the goals set for him by the club fitness wise he has a minor injury and wasn’t to be risked.

JRC was the fittest player out on show yesterday which again debunks the info you were given!

Fittest player out there based on? You don't half talk some twaddle.