BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (H) - 19/08/2023

1 minute ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Hyam seems to be another one that's started the season poorly. Looks a little clumsy at times now. Also people were saying he stuck his finger up at JDT during a note exchange? What's the about?

Sit by the away dugout and can’t say I saw that. Anyone else witness this?

That hurt. We just ran out of legs and concentration in the end which was always likely when playing with 10 men for the whole game. Pickering deservedly sent off. Poor defending from a poor player.

Very disappointing result in what was a very winnable game before kick off. Watford away next feels like another loss. 

Hull have had a decent window - Delap, Twine, and Connolly are all decent signings. They've improved from last season and we're weaker.

• Like 7

Gallys shit

Travis is shit

etc etc etc

Both players ran their hearts out today and showed their value  to this team.

The game was lost with no time to fight back although we did create enough to have taken a draw.

You don’t mind losing when the team has heart and soul and plays with effort like that today .

biggest disappointment was Pickering not doing the basic and JRC being wasteful with the ball

• Like 2

It's quite simple, we at least drew that, probably won with 11 men. Looked a man short on a few attacks. Hats off to those that did play though, can't fault the effort.

We're going into a real tough period now, hate international breaks but I think JDT actually utilises them quite well, hopefully get Siggy ready for some game time too...

Spirited effort with 10 and created plenty but ultimately a young side showed naivety to leave such gaps considering the man disadvantage.

Pickering had a nightmare with the red, Rankin Costello all over the shop defensively and Brittain (I think from what I have seen that this isn't a popular opinion) was absolutely hopeless. Defensive liability and so poor on the ball.

Gallagher and Ennis were a real threat though and we need to start them both next week, the question is how. Strong, quick and caused them real issues. Travis also very good again.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Well, that's a real kick in the teeth today. It felt like it'd be a tight game against a pretty well drilled Hull side that arguably didn't deserve to lose their first game to Norwich, and were impressive last week beating Sheff. Wednesday.

However, to go ahead in the 75th minute and lose is absolutely gutting, no two ways about it. The positive is that we held our own for a long time with 10 men, and Gallagher getting a goal early into the season will help him as the senior centre forward left at the club. I'd also say that twice now Gally and Ennis have come off the bench and made an impact together. I think they 'could' be a decent partnership if they can each chip in with a few goals. Also now means Brittain gets a chance to start the next game, just a shame it won't mean moving JRC into midfield.

Seasons aren't summed up in 3 games, but this Rovers side already has the makings of mid table nearly men without some significant improvements to personnel.

The next two are looking pretty sketchy for a side that is seriously thin on quality in key attacking areas. Away at Watford and Plymouth before the international break is a worry. I'd take 2 points from those games right now!

Without significant signings , we will be well below the level of midtable nearly men...The new rules don't help, an extra 10 mins a game and the brandishing of yellow cards for next to nowt , are going to leave us very depleted come mid November!!

Dack , Brearton and  Ayala need replacing asap !

Unlucky to lose today but there's nowt for hardliners in sport ..

Edited by Waggy76
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Just too many players that shouldn’t be starting, don’t invest and you go backwards 

pears 

Pickering 

hedges 

leonard 

dolan 

ain’t good enough to be starting and question marks on a good few others 

Pears made 3 valuable stops 

Hedges played pretty well with some good touches

leonard and Dolan were lightweights 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher and Ennis were a real threat though and we need to start them both next week, the question is how.

Agree. I think Gallagher for Dolan and the same, with Ennis and Gallagher rotating with Szmodics and Hedges staying wide right.

It’s desperately upsetting to lose as we did. Hull offered a little bit but killed us with three balls over the top. I know it’s a bit retro, but it’s not unheard of. Falling for it once is understandable/it happens. Three times in a game is maddening.

All things considered I thought we were unfortunate to lose particularly after playing for so long with ten men. I really don't think the effort and attitude can be questioned today and the eight shots on target we recorded was the highest for some time I reckon. The sending off and second goals came when our centre halves went awol and we were done by two bread and butter straight long balls. Hyam in particular and Carter have to be better with what I consider to be elementary defending. Gallagher and Ennis were really good when they can on and created quite a bit between them but Gallagher made a great defensive contribution too. It's still disappointing to lose but I think Hull could well be the surprise team of this season and get on the fringes of the playoffs. And undoubtedly our redoubtable chief exec will celebrate our loss which will assist his ambition of treading water 😝😝

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Gutted to lose, obviously, but really pleased with that performance.

They were on top before the red, but we defended well for the majority of the match and even after they equalised, we should have gone 2-1 up just before they scored their second.

Even with 10 men we created plenty today.

Couple of additions and I think we'll do alright this season.

But with owners like these, can you see us acquiring them??

I can't.

(I'm waiting for an email from a bloke who lives in Hull and is related to one of my best pals. He usually thinks that gives him the right to email me after a result like this.

He may well find tonight that I don't agree with him.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bethnal said:

Agree. I think Gallagher for Dolan and the same, with Ennis and Gallagher rotating with Szmodics and Hedges staying wide right.

It’s desperately upsetting to lose as we did. Hull offered a little bit but killed us with three balls over the top. I know it’s a bit retro, but it’s not unheard of. Falling for it once is understandable/it happens. Three times in a game is maddening.

they spent most of the match playing fanny football,like you said,two old fashioned balls over the top (first one looked offside to me)and it worked,should be a message to jdt that you can mix the play up a bit

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

JRC has been horrendous today. He can not be the starting right back. 

Pears not good enough.

So many of this team are not good enough.

Venkys and Waggott, piss off and do one

What did Pears get wrong today, he made at least two really good saves that kept us level, before we went ahead. He had no chance with even goal, both absolutely atrocious goals to give away, both straight through (or over) the middle without a defender in sight. Would have been a bit of a robbery had we won but we really threw it away with those goals.

Playing with 10 for 80 minutes was always going to be difficult, but I thought we acquitted ourselves well all things considered. 

Pears did ok with 2 saves before the goals. Not seen the goals so no idea if he was at fault. The first one looked offside and the lino was getting some dogs abuse. He could hardly keep up with play.

The back 4 were very average. Teams seem to have worked out if they drop the ball in behind us we struggle. I thought Carter was the best of a bad bunch. 

I thought Travis and AW did well.

Dolan was rank for the 10 mins he was on but felt sorry for him.

Sammie was an angry man after being subbed. Ripped his shirt off in the dugout and threw it down. Maybe frustration because he was poor. 

Leonard was out of his depth against a big back 4, not his fault but the need for a striker is glaring.

Hedges was excellent until the final ball. Same old. 

Gally and Ennis changed the game for a while. They actually offered a threat. Worry with Ennis is that he's now had 3 or 4 very good chances in the last two games and failed to trouble the keeper. 

Today showed why we can't afford to sell anyone, least of all Gally. 

Nothings changed. We need 3 or 4 players, and two of those have to forwards.

Hull were very average, but had a proper striker to bring on and score 2. 

Not all doom and gloom, but the worry is JDT will get frustrated if he's not backed and do one. 

Credit to the Hull fans for applauding Sir Jack. 

• Like 1