BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (H) - 19/08/2023

5 hours ago, smiller14 said:

I would argue that the full replay from behind the goal is even more damning than that picture. The Twitter account 'reptracker' posted it and the comments from fans of various clubs are all equally damning of Pears' goalkeeping. As most of the comments aren't Rovers fans, the reaction is mainly one of humour and mockery. 

Of course he should start over on that side, but this isn't Subbuteo - players can move very easily, and he had bags of time to readjust, make himself big and at least give Connolly a finish to make. Instead he basically showed him exactly where he could easily score - a straight shot which Pears didn't even dive towards. 

I am not as critical of Pears as some but that piece of goalkeeping was amateur at best. Would Kaminski have saved it? Who knows, but he would have made himself big ,tried to close off the angle and at least forced Connolly into a half decent finish.

I watched the full game back and yes it very damning of his positional and he should be 2 yards further over but whether he would saved it anyway I don't know and that's something I don't know or none of us do. 

I do think we need to moved on people comparing him to Kaminski tho. 

on Subbuteo, what a great game that was. Remember spending hours each night playing it in my younger days as a child. 

@Mike EI can't believe going about Earps's save and obsessing over stills of it. I watched it in real time(that's it) and not spending hours taking stills and watching replays of one save. I wouldn't compare the women game of football to men's football either. I had the women's final on the TV whilst doing other things. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2023 at 19:22, K-Hod said:

There hasn’t though, has there? Please don’t invent things for clout from strangers on the internet.

Thanks.

I apologize.

I read back and I was wrong. There wasn't people slagging off the team. 

Edited by alexanders
  • Like 1

• Backroom
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I watched the full game back and yes it very damning of his positional and he should be 2 yards further over but whether he would saved it anyway I don't know and that's something I don't know or none of us do. 

I do think we need to moved on people comparing him to Kaminski tho. 

on Subbuteo, what a great game that was. Remember spending hours each night playing it in my younger days as a child. 

@Mike EI can't believe going about Earps's save and obsessing over stills of it. I watched it in real time(that's it) and not spending hours taking stills and watching replays of one save. I wouldn't compare the women game of football to men's football either. I had the women's final on the TV whilst doing other things. 

It didn’t take hours, it took about two minutes, unless you’re an incompetent user of a smartphone

I’m not comparing ‘women’s and men’s football’, I’m comparing two goalkeepers and speaking as a goalkeeper (and I won’t lie, it’s also a bit because I found it amusing that their name are anagrams).

You have the confidence to describe it as a routine save despite (according to you) barely watching the game, and in the meantime seeing Pears’ positioning AND failing to to attempt to save for the second goal as acceptable. That shows you know nothing about goalkeeping.

That Earps save is not ‘routine’, it is definitively superb. She has stretched to tip the ball around the post, having been unsighted by three of her own defenders blocking her view of the initial shot.

Far from comparing the two, I believe they are entirely different. Pears’ goalkeeping was substandard, and Earps delivered the kind of saves we came to expect from Friedel.

The reason for my comparison is purely because you implied an expectation of far higher standards of a woman’s goalkeeping than you do of a man’s goalkeeping, and I believe it is one of three things:

1. Trolling because it was me mentioning Earps.

2. A blind spot when it comes to mediocrity at Rovers.

3. Sexism.

If Pears had pulled off that Earps save and Earps had positioned like that, you would STILL (albeit correctly) praise Pears and criticise Earps. That is my problem.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

On the fans leaving Ewood early debate.

Not including the 18 months behind closed doors for Covid, we have won 14 points from losing positions at Ewood since promotion from league one. (3 wins and 5 draws)

Maybe it's just conditioned into the fans that when we go behind at Ewood, we aren't getting back into it?

I started going in the 90s and it's been happening since then. Predominantly in the Riverside.

Sticking to my guns here re Pears.. I have nothing against him as a person, but as a player, he is nothing but a capable backup goalkeeper..  if anybody thinks he is a number 1, then have your heads checked 

Yes, the defence could have handled both goals better, but that doesn't mean that Pears couldn't have done better. Both he was again rooted to the spot, where a goalkeeper would be alot more commanding. Rather come out, and get beat, than standing in the middle of nowhere and allow the attacker an easy choice of where to put the ball.  As a goalkeeper, you make it as difficult for the attacking player as you can. 

Remember this guys, having a competent goalkeeper, could save you plenty of points. Having a poor defense and a sub standard goalkeeper, isnt what we need right now. Either we fix the defensive lapses, or we see what Wahlstedt or another keeper can do. 

• Like 2

On 20/08/2023 at 10:31, M_B said:

Pears got blamed by some for not doing better for the two goals at Rotherham as well as yesterday. 

All I can say is, Wahlstetd has been set a ridiculously high bar if/when he gets his chance. I hope he's good enough to keep the likes of those efforts out,as he's supposedly accomplished with his feet as well, we'll have a £50 million keeper on our hands. 

I think fans should pay more attention to Pears in goal. Goalkeepers are never on their heels that much, and the good keepers are vocal and commanding, especially in their area. 

In saying that, under a guy like Sparky, one of our players would have taken one for the team in that situation. The play was far from goal, and they had so many touches leading up to the goals, that back when we were playing, we would foul one of them and break the play, and the re organise.. I know we down to 10 men, but we could have fouled out there. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I started going in the 90s and it's been happening since then. Predominantly in the Riverside.

It's always happened in the Riverside since it was rebuilt. However it is really obvious when the way out is by the front of the stand. If I was a bit tight for time I used to walk down to the corner but still stayed and watched until the final whistle (along with many others. Plenty of people leave from the other stands as well - just not as obvious.

• Like 2

I’m not a fan of Pears being our number 1, though I do think he’s a sound enough stand in.

He was definitely at fault for goal number 2; I’ve played as a GK myself long enough to know that - and I’m sure Pears would acknowledge that on watching back.

But in the interests of balance/fairness, he made 2-3 excellent stops in the first half to keep the tie at 0-0.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I’m not a fan of Pears being our number 1, though I do think he’s a sound enough stand in.

He was definitely at fault for goal number 2; I’ve played as a GK myself long enough to know that - and I’m sure Pears would acknowledge that on watching back.

But in the interests of balance/fairness, he made 2-3 excellent stops in the first half to keep the tie at 0-0.

Isn't that what he is meant to do ?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy said:

The one v one saves are another dying art with modern keepers.

Probably because the game as a whole is so tactical now that they aren't called into those situations as often as they used to be with teams playing higher lines and opposition aiming for out and out centre forwards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oneandycrawford said:

It's always happened in the Riverside since it was rebuilt. However it is really obvious when the way out is by the front of the stand. If I was a bit tight for time I used to walk down to the corner but still stayed and watched until the final whistle (along with many others. Plenty of people leave from the other stands as well - just not as obvious.

We used to do that but that was because my dad was usually working later that night.

I couldn't ever understand not watching the match to the end.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2023 at 13:46, rigger said:

Isn't that what he is meant to do ?  

Never understood this argument. A striker is meant to score goals, but you still give them praise when they do it. Footballers are supposed to win games, but you don't just shrug your shoulders and say 'that's what they're meant to do' when they do it.

On 15/08/2023 at 19:56, Feed the Yak said:

I'm up to Ewood for this one. I should however, declare my woeful record when going to see Rovers in the flesh. Played 11 won 0. It ends this weekend, surely my curse ends this weekend!?!? 🙏

Taking a Man Utd and a Newcastle fan with me - any recommendations for pubs/bars to go to for their games on TV after? John Bull 3 times for lunch already lined up, of course.

2-1 Rovers, JRC and Ennis

Just want to send my belated apologies to everyone for the result, I have only just gotten over it. Please feel free to enforce a permanent ban on my future attendance.

Having said that, 13 is actually my lucky number...

• Like 3

Missed this game live so just got round to watching the full 90 back on Rovers TV. Sickener to lose at the end but the overall performance was exceptional even before considering going down to ten men so early. 

Think this performance makes me more optimistic for our season than either the wins against WBA or Watford.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Missed this game live so just got round to watching the full 90 back on Rovers TV. Sickener to lose at the end but the overall performance was exceptional even before considering going down to ten men so early. 

Think this performance makes me more optimistic for our season than either the wins against WBA or Watford.

I feel exactly the same. Apart from 10 mins after half time, we gave as good as (if not more) than we got. That's no mean feat being a man light for 80 mins or so. Probably our best performance of the season so far for me.

Also, how many managers bring two strikers on at 0-0 with 10 men? Or have one of their CBs make lung-busting runs into the opposition box at 1-1? Might have done for us in the end, but it was brilliant to watch.

To paraphrase the man himself, they played with real bravery.

Edited by XLM
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, XLM said:

I feel exactly the same. Apart from 10 mins after half time, we gave as good as (if not more) than we got. That's no mean feat being a man light for 80 mins or so. Probably our best performance of the season so far for me.

Also, how many managers bring two strikers on at 0-0 with 10 men? Or have one of their CBs make lung-busting runs into the opposition box at 1-1? Might have done for us in the end, but it was brilliant to watch.

To paraphrase the man himself, they played with real bravery.

Yeah, totally agree. From my perspective JDT is the most offensive coach we've ever had (watching since 1992), we regularly commit 6 to 8 players to an attack. Travis is regularly getting to the byline with JRC in the box, while Carter and Hyam are on the half way line or even higher etc...

Whats interesting is we play in this ultra offenssive way but we dont seem to concede that many guilt edged chances to the opposition. We drop back into shape deep very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah, totally agree. From my perspective JDT is the most offensive coach we've ever had (watching since 1992), we regularly commit 6 to 8 players to an attack. Travis is regularly getting to the byline with JRC in the box, while Carter and Hyam are on the half way line or even higher etc...

Whats interesting is we play in this ultra offenssive way but we dont seem to concede that many guilt edged chances to the opposition. We drop back into shape deep very well.

We're certainly more attacking than the 1st half of last season.

Watford was actually a bit of a throwback to the the first few months of last season, in that we sat deep for most of the match and soaked up all their pressure. Compare with Rotherham away where we dominated possession. I'd imagine we'll do the same at Plymouth. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Interesting that we're being described as ultra offensive and committing more players to the attack than ever before, but the only team we've had more shots against was Rotherham. Even Walsall had the same as us.

I've not seen enough of us this season to judge btw, due to work commitments. Only seen West Brom and Watford (who had way more shots than us, but I thought we were value).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Interesting that we're being described as ultra offensive and committing more players to the attack than ever before, but the only team we've had more shots against was Rotherham. Even Walsall had the same as us.

I've not seen enough of us this season to judge btw, due to work commitments. Only seen West Brom and Watford (who had way more shots than us, but I thought we were value).

Yes, we have a strange combination of being very offensive with how many players we commit forward when we attack but dont actually pull the trigger as much as you would expect. I think part of that is we are lacking a proper central striker to get on the end of moves, but also some hesitantcy seems to be intentional. Trying not to shoot unless we have a decent sighting at goal. I guess the thinking is to not turn the ball over cheaply and get done on the counter?

Personally I think we should shoot on sight a bit more. Number of times recently weve been in strong positions but elected to pass rather than shoot .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes, we have a strange combination of being very offensive with how many players we commit forward when we attack but dont actually pull the trigger as much as you would expect. I think part of that is we are lacking a proper central striker to get on the end of moves, but also some hesitantcy seems to be intentional. Trying not to shoot unless we have a decent sighting at goal. I guess the thinking is to not turn the ball over cheaply and get done on the counter?

Personally I think we should shoot on sight a bit more. Number of times recently weve been in strong positions but elected to pass rather than shoot .

If you don't shoot, you don't score.