BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gregg Broughton

Sad to see Gregg the Egg go, mainly as he was one person who sounded like he had a plan.

Probably didnt have too much to do with the Szmodics or Hyam signings though, and Wahlstadt has arguably been our all time worst signing, plus all the McGuire stuff. Plus loans were pretty poor. Its hard to really make a case that he should stay

The BBC article makes it sound like Eustace is not happy too..

Feels like its going to be a long long summer...

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Must be the thousandth time I've seen someone here say 'couldn't be any worse than X'. Most of the time, they do turn out to be worse.

Except here.

Same was said about Mowbray. "But who could we possibly replace him with?"

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He might have a very good knowledge of the game built up through his playing career.

Might not work out but Broughton had zero experience as a DOF.

I would rather not have a DOF-setup if the choice was a random ex-player with no experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue n White Rover said:

Won’t be a rookie to the job. Will be experienced. Money is available to spend so that is utter nonsense in the BBC story. 

Well, it was written by someone called Nick Mashiter. Sounds like someone who steals toilets.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, sverrehh said:

I would rather not have a DOF-setup if the choice was a random ex-player with no experience.

I disagree. Broughton obviously couldn't spot a decent player if he tripped over one. Gestede as a former player might have a good eye for one.

No guarantees of course, every appointment is a risk.

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Waggot simply has to go no ifs or buts it's as plain as the nose on your face this guy is bad news.

Whatever we think of the egg and my views are mixed he is another who has been sold a dud and undermined at every turn because the crooks in office at the club didn't want this model.  Shaking them out their comfort zone and bypassing their little cartel.

Said it ages ago Waggot and the shadow MD are Shagnew and GB is Shebby, we have revisited that era yet again.

Also always said Waggot has his eye on us being the small time zero funded Barnsley model to carry on their cushy no fuss little number.  In trying for this hes actually creating the new Charlton here and will leave us in the same position as them if he stays another 2 seasons.

The man MUST go, end of.

Couldn't agree more but that doesn't mean Broughton wasn't a disaster as well.

One down - Waggott (and the owners to go)

Shame JDT didn't have more competent people to support him.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I disagree. Broughton obviously couldn't spot a decent player if he tripped over one. Gestede as a former player might have a good eye for one.

No guarantees of course, every appointment is a risk.

The Director of Football isn't 'Chief Scout'.

You'd also have been better citing Wilcox or Dowie, if you're pushing for an ex-player being DoF. No doubt they've got actual qualifications though, unlike Rudy. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Except here.

Same was said about Mowbray. "But who could we possibly replace him with?"

No, not except here. Here is precisely where I was talking about. Didn't say we can never improve, just there's no such thing as 'can't be worse'. Which is very different to asking who we can replace them with. Also I was very much one of the ones who had wanted Mowbray gone for a long time.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Then make him a junior scout, not the Director of Football. It's a pretty well-paid gig, we shouldn't be putting anyone there unless we're confident they're up to it. Not just 'oh they used to play football'. Again we could any ex-footballer in the role by that logic, and 99% of them would be dogshit at it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The owners to go isnt something that is an afterthought in brackets. Until they do, moving any of the incompetent staff even if it is Waggott is fairly immaterial.

In the unlikely event Waggott was shifted and someone decent half decent was brought in it would be far from immaterial.

In fact I'd say it's reached the stage where it's imperative.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just to quote the internet on what the DOF-job entails:

"Being a Director of Football involves overseeing the football operations of a club, typically focusing on player recruitment, transfers, contract negotiations, and sometimes managerial appointments. They often work closely with the coaching staff and scouts to identify talent, negotiate contracts, and strategize for the club's long-term success. Additionally, they may be involved in budgeting, youth development, and implementing the club's football philosophy. Essentially, they serve as a bridge between the board, coaching staff, and players, ensuring the club's footballing objectives are met."

I would never appoint Rudy Gestede in that position today. Perhaps in 10-15 years if he starts working hard to become one.

Edited by sverrehh

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

or he is coming in cos he is happy with Eustace has head coach. 

Bigger questions are, we will spend this summer and what's the budget going forward? Is Eustace with that? 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I know what the BBC article but its a number of various factors which we don't know about. 

I hope we back Eustace this summer with quality signings who come push us up the league next season

Sorry Chaddy but fairy tales are fairy tales!

IMO, we will spend the square root of feck all.

Was never convinced by Broughton and posted as such.

Think this has been bubbling since Feb - at least Gregg will have a nice pay off and I feel sure his garden is blooming!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue n White Rover said:

Broughton was sacked. Mutual consent is a load of nonsense. 

His transfer failings were ultimately evident and club decision to dismiss him. Now running to his good mate (Nick Mashiter - it’s a real name!!) to say it was mutual consent and creating unrest in the fan base, similar to the JDT trick.

He will be replaced and told there are a few on the shortlist. This has been long time coming but waiting for season to end.

I was wondering how far into the summer we'd get before the ITK bullshit crowd turned up. Not long at all it seems.

The idea that our shit transfer dealings were entirely down to the egg is absolutely ridiculous and totally laughable. There are FOUR big deals that were organised and lined up before being scuttled by those above.

The three that were deliberately sabotaged in consecutive January transfer windows and the Danny Baath deal that the owners pulled the pin on.

How many deals ended up like this that we don't know about.

I'm sure they'll unveil a new replacement very soon that will have just as little, probably even less authority than the egg.

As for the egg himself, good luck to him. We'll never really know if he was good bad or indifferent. Just another, like JDT that was lied to repeatedly then hung out to dry.

Venkys are a cancer on this club. I just hope it isn't terminal.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, sverrehh said:

Just to quote the internet on what the DOF-job entails:

"Being a Director of Football involves overseeing the football operations of a club, typically focusing on player recruitment, transfers, contract negotiations, and sometimes managerial appointments. They often work closely with the coaching staff and scouts to identify talent, negotiate contracts, and strategize for the club's long-term success. Additionally, they may be involved in budgeting, youth development, and implementing the club's football philosophy. Essentially, they serve as a bridge between the board, coaching staff, and players, ensuring the club's footballing objectives are met."

I would never appoint Rudy Gestede in that position today. Perhaps in 10-15 years if he starts working hard to become one.

So on what basis referring to the above would you have give given GB the job?

Cutting through all the corporate bullspeak the only things I'd be interested in in a DOF is that he recruited well and put into place some things that helped the team succeed.

The finer points of contractual negotiations could surely be left to the Club Secretary/CEO. 

If we had decent ones.

4 minutes ago, Blue n White Rover said:

Rudy Gestede will not be DoF.

Do we even need a DOF?

Surely everyone in the game (apart from Waggott and Mowbray) know that you don't let your key assets walk away on a free.

Once you've got that out of the way, If you have a good manager with an eye for a player, why do you need a DOF? 

Mark Hughes did all right without one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

In the unlikely event Waggott was shifted and someone decent half decent was brought in it would be far from immaterial.

In fact I'd say it's reached the stage where it's imperative.

It would. And I am not underplaying how incompetent he is.

We would still have the same owners, slashing the budget, causing huge delays in approving things/communicating for something to then that isnt a priority yet intervening at damaging times, and just going through incompetent staff even when we happily get rid of one. Weve had the likes of Shaw and Agnew too in his role. 

Waggott's worst "quality" is that he will align his actions around the owners wants, he is in a position that he couldnt better, hes comfortable and he wont challenge for better, as long as hes getting paid. He like Suhail is just a terrible symptom. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Sorry Chaddy but fairy tales are fairy tales!

IMO, we will spend the square root of feck all.

Was never convinced by Broughton and posted as such.

Think this has been bubbling since Feb - at least Gregg will have a nice pay off and I feel sure his garden is blooming!

You implied months ago that he was on gardening leave (when he clearly wasn't) and refused to answer multiple times to clarify your assertion that he was on gardening leave back then. Not sure you can go down the ITK angle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

It would. And I am not underplaying how incompetent he is.

We would still have the same owners, slashing the budget, causing huge delays in approving things/communicating for something to then that isnt a priority yet intervening at damaging times, and just going through incompetent staff even when we happily get rid of one. Weve had the likes of Shaw and Agnew too in his role. 

Waggott's worst "quality" is that he will align his actions around the owners wants, he is in a position that he couldnt better, hes comfortable and he wont challenge for better, as long as hes getting paid. He like Suhail is just a terrible symptom. 

Never ceases to amaze me how you always stand up for Waggott.

For all their faults, (and for the avoidance of doubt they need to go) the owners pay Waggott a fortune to run the Club so they don't have to micromanage every decision themselves from India.

No matter what the prevailing conditions or finance or lack thereof are, we'd do better with a decent CEO in situ than Waggott.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Never ceases to amaze me how you always stand up for Waggott.

For all their faults, (and for the avoidance of doubt they need to go) the owners pay Waggott a fortune to run the Club so they don't have to micromanage every decision themselves from India.

No matter what the prevailing conditions or finance or lack thereof are, we'd do better with a decent CEO in situ than Waggott.

Sez the guy who ignores the root cause of all of this.