BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

5 hours ago, rigger said:

If it means another player reverts back to their favoured position, I am in agreement. I still cannot get my head round not playing the strikers we have. They may even be not up to it, but they may well be better than the players we are fielding at the moment, in those positions.

Reminds me of last season when people were saying, why aren't we playing Leonard? Young and hungry we were told. Cracking them in in the youth team. Year before it was Vale.

Leonard is playing this season and now people are asking why we aren't playing other people. Next season Telalovic will be playing and people will be asking why we aren't playing the latest kid/bargain basement signing.

There's no solution, apart from Venkys going and being replaced by people who actually want to run a football club.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, booth said:

Reminds me of last season when people were saying, why aren't we playing Leonard? Young and hungry we were told. Cracking them in in the youth team. Year before it was Vale.

Leonard is playing this season and now people are asking why we aren't playing other people. Next season Telalovic will be playing and people will be asking why we aren't playing the latest kid/bargain basement signing.

There's no solution, apart from Venkys going and being replaced by people who actually want to run a football club.

But in our financial situation, we have to give the strikers that have a chance to prove themselves. If they are not good enough, then get rid of them. Don't play midfielders up top just because we have got a lot of them. 

3 hours ago, rigger said:

But in our financial situation, we have to give the strikers that have a chance to prove themselves. If they are not good enough, then get rid of them. Don't play midfielders up top just because we have got a lot of them. 

I think we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. We'll strike lucky every so often with a win or two, but it's time to just admit we have a mid/lower league squad. Every player I've seen play up front this season has come up short, so I can't imagine what they must like like in training where they are looking to impress. Actually I imagine they'll look like a crock, a kid and a random lad plucked from German obscurity.

On 16/12/2023 at 14:54, JohnD said:

I doubt we'd get anything for him but it would release cash for wages if we can shift Dolan in January. He's still not signed a contract has he?

Dolan has changed agent and wanted to leave talks for next summer. He has 12 months clause on his contract. 

• Like 1

On 17/12/2023 at 10:37, BankEnd Rover said:

Nixon now saying we are in for the Crewe Lad.

More evidence that the only ambition of the club is to stay in the championship and develop young players. Such a lack of ambition at the club.

We have to make a decision whether to trigger the year long extension on Gally's contract over the next few months. Given his injury record, lack of goals, and significant wages, it should be an easy decision.

Nixon's rubbish isn't evidence of anything to be fair, but for a reasonable fee it makes it a non starter. Needless to say a young CB couldn't be much less of a priority for us.

With Gallagher, a functional club may well decide to get rid and utilise the resources saved. Here, it will just leave to more budget slashing. Gallagher is an average striker at this level when fit, has his uses, good for 8 or 9 a season, powerful runner. Compared to the alternatives, ie a raw kid not ready for regular game time at this level, a League 1 sicknote and a 4th division German player, he is still our best striker, so if those resources are just considered a saving, the owners save money, Rovers are worse off. Was ever thus.

• Like 2

On 17/12/2023 at 00:13, booth said:

The difference being that last season Leonard was not being left out for mid-fielders playing out of position. Last season Leonard was not the best striker at the club. He isn't this year either, but he is getting more game time. Nobody knows what will happen next season. As for your last statement, wasn't that the same type of thought when the Walker trust were running things ? 

My mate has 2 legs (given, one is slightly shorter than the other, hense he moves in myterious circles) said he will play for free as long as he gets sandwhiches.

Obviously we would have to get someone off the books so we could afford the sandwhiches (Telalovic?) Worth the risk? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blow-in said:

My mate has 2 legs (given, one is slightly shorter than the other, hense he moves in myterious circles) said he will play for free as long as he gets sandwhiches.

Obviously we would have to get someone off the books so we could afford the sandwhiches (Telalovic?) Worth the risk? 

We need more information before we can decide that.

What sort of sandwiches?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blow-in said:

Well come to that, I could not play as well as Telalovic doesn't play and I'd be really cheap!

• Like 1

Thinking about the shopping list I would just go all in on a striker. We can just about cover every other position. Full backs are light but we can get away with JRC, Hill, Carter, Travis or Garrett filling in if needed. We have 4 CBs which is doable for half a season. Quite a few centre mid options, though I do worry if either Tronstad or Wharton get injured as we lack on the ball quality without them. But I cant see how we pick up a good technical mid for the money we would be willing to spend on a non-starter. Maybe get one on loan? Probs bring back Buckley of his injury isn't a season ender. Sigurdsson, Moran, Szmodics, JRC, and Hedges are decent attacking mids. Getting a winger is pointless without any strikers.

If we have any money for Raya or elsewhere we have to spend it all on a striker with at least a 1 in 3 scoring record in the top two divisions of the five big football nations (England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain), or the top division of the Netherlands, Sweden etc. Also with a minimal injury record... Cant be hard right??

Sign that one player and I will be happy. Think we can loan two more players too so get some bodies in where necessary.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

Striker is clearly top of our shopping list but if we have the ability to bring one in, we need to be specific. We already have four strikers who are all injured or underperforming. 

I'd be very keen on us going back in for Rak-Sakyi. Olise is back from injury so he's unlikely to see any more game time at Palace. After an ok start Moran clearly needs some help. He looks tired and woefully short. 

Problem being is that I doubt we even have a couple of magic beans to rub together. Ffp wise we should have some wiggle room after the summer and you'd hope we could use the guarantee of the David Raya future income to structure any deals. In reality the lack of clarity around future funding from Venkys will probably mean all money is saved for the inevitable rainy day which is looming.

15 hours ago, Blow-in said:

i can play ,im`e still pretty quick though my heading is slightly worse than gallaghers,i`ll play for a bottle of carlsberg and a slice of refreshing pineapple at half time,i doubt i`de get along with jdt because if the opposition looks threatening the ball would get wellied forwards for sammy to chase,none of this passing about at the back under my watch🙂

• Like 1

On 18/12/2023 at 14:08, rigger said:

The difference being that last season Leonard was not being left out for mid-fielders playing out of position. Last season Leonard was not the best striker at the club. He isn't this year either, but he is getting more game time. Nobody knows what will happen next season. As for your last statement, wasn't that the same type of thought when the Walker trust were running things ? 

Players always get better when they aren't playing and when we're shopping on such an unrealisticly low budget, fans should manage their expectations accordingly.

As for the Walker Trust comment, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I should be worried about Venkys selling because we'll end up with worse?

You responded to me twice by the way so I thought I'd already replied to your comment.

Edited by booth