BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

37 minutes ago, alex l said:

He brought in his assistant and I also think he appointed Ben Rosen. But that isn't the point, if Benson was so poor as some make out, why would TM and JDT have persisted with him? Why would Kaminski have specifically thanked him instead of pushing for a new GK coach during his time here - along with all the other GKs we've had on the books?

Benson seems to get a lot of flack for our keepers not being a cross between Manual Neuer and Alisson yet it's ignored he has coached our last 2 senior keepers, both of whom are established in the prem. 

You forgot to add " Now that they have left his coaching" at the end of your statement.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The bigger question is who has decided that they are irreplaceable and why.

We just see them as coaching staff / extension of manager. Managers and players have fixed period contracts.

These are full time employees (like the tea lady) and we cannot afford the £ to make them redundant.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s a keeper coach, but he’s small, seems to be how it started.

He has never played the game or in particular played in goal. He read a book and passed a test.

So it depends on what qualifications we think are needed to be a good coach (not just to be A coach).

Edited by OldEwoodBlue

1 minute ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

He has never played the game or in particular played in goal. He read a book and passed a test.

So it depends on what qualifications we think are needed to be a good coach (not jusrt to be A coach).

being an actual player who knows how footballers think and work might be a bonus,i could technically called myself a bricklayer from reading how to do it on the internet,practically it would end in a right mess because iv`e never done it

21 minutes ago, alex l said:

Bordering on conspiracy. Next to be targeted will be the retail manager and the lottery ticket sellers. Could it perhaps be possible that these people do a reasonable job for the wages we can afford/pay and therefore successive coaches/management have been fine with them remaining in situ? Or must it be something more devious and underhand? 

I find it equally odd that you care enough to weigh in on his behalf. Are you employed by the Club?

Furthermore corect me if Im wrong but I thought he was primarily getting flak in his role as set piece coach because we are amongst the worst in the League (if not the worst) both at defending them and scoring from them.

What's wrong with being unhappy about that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I think so yes.

Been at that elite level so should be able to pass on that experience and expertise.

Manager is a different thing though.

So it’s fine for head coaches to have never played, but not coaches?

Interesting.

3 hours ago, alex l said:

Certainly wouldn't be a purchase then. Sounds reminiscent of selling Rhodes and ending up with Graham on loan (if memory serves me) although that ended up well enough, eventually. 

Yes, in relegation to League 1.

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Neither JDT nor Mowbray have been able to assemble their own backroom teams. Instead they have had to accept working with inherited staff: Lowe and Benson. And in JDT's case also Johnson.

Regardless of their capabilities or lack of, it cannot be right that they are in place indefinitely regardless of manager/performance/results.

I can't speak for Benson but there is definitely something very odd about Lowe's continued employment at the Club.

I have heard it alleged that he has been sacked on at least two previous occasions only to be reinstated after going directly to the owners. 

I can't say for certain whether or not that is correct but have no reason to doubt the source.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you certainly need to have played the game

To what level?

Will Still

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
  Tempo Overijse    
  RFC Grez-Doiceau    
  Racing Jet Wavre    
  Royale Union Rixensartoise    
  Royal Wavre Limal

Jose Mourinho

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1980–1982 Rio Ave 0 (0)
1982–1983 Belenenses 0 (0)
1983–1985 Sesimbra 35 (1)
1985–1987 Comércio e Indústria 27 (8)
Total   94 (13)

Arsene Wenger

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1969–1973 Mutzig    
1973–1975 Mulhouse 56 (4)
1975–1978 ASPV Strasbourg    
1978–1981 RC Strasbourg 11 (0)
Total   67+ (4+)

Also a few more including Sacchi, Sven Goran-Eriksen and others in this link

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1544547-top-5-world-football-coaches-who-never-played-professionally

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Whilst I do think the criticism of Benson in the past has been a little OTT, it he’s our set piece coach and we don’t defend them well, it’s surely to be expected that he’s in the firing line?

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I expect Gallagher and maybe Sammie to be sold at the last minute, with another last minute panic. Then an O'Brien style cock up. 

Gallagher, yes please, Szmodics would more or less rubber stamp our relegation to League 1.

1 minute ago, KentExile said:

To what level?

Will Still

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
  Tempo Overijse    
  RFC Grez-Doiceau    
  Racing Jet Wavre    
  Royale Union Rixensartoise    
  Royal Wavre Limal

Jose Mourinho

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1980–1982 Rio Ave 0 (0)
1982–1983 Belenenses 0 (0)
1983–1985 Sesimbra 35 (1)
1985–1987 Comércio e Indústria 27 (8)
Total   94 (13)

Arsene Wenger

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1969–1973 Mutzig    
1973–1975 Mulhouse 56 (4)
1975–1978 ASPV Strasbourg    
1978–1981 RC Strasbourg 11 (0)
Total   67+ (4+)

at least they`ve played the game and got an understanding of a footballers pychology,tbh i`ve never heard of will still

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

JDT wasn't allowed to bring his own staff in with him - Benson and Lowe came with the club.

It's part of why we weren't able to attract a more experienced manager. Carvalhal walked away when we insisted he'd have to keep Lowe and Benson. 

JDT did bring his own assistant and fitness coach. Remy and Rosen who he knows and worked with before, but he was happy to work his existing staff as its give his opinions on the players

39 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Neither JDT nor Mowbray have been able to assemble their own backroom teams. Instead they have had to accept working with inherited staff: Lowe and Benson. And in JDT's case also Johnson.

Regardless of their capabilities or lack of, it cannot be right that they are in place indefinitely regardless of manager/performance/results.

Mowbray did bring in his own number 2 and he was very happy with Benson's work that why he got a new contract when we went down. Benson was given the GK coach temporaray when Mowbray came in as we got rid of Owen Coyle, Assistant manager Sandy Stewart, first team coach John Henry and goalkeeping coach Phil Hughes

I am sure if JDT wanted to bring in more of his own staff then he would. 

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I can't speak for Benson but there is definitely something very odd about Lowe's continued employment at the Club.

I have heard it alleged that he has been sacked on at least two previous occasions only to be reinstated after going directly to the owners. 

I can't say for certain whether or not that is correct but have no reason to doubt the source.

I've heard exactly the same, one of those sackings was when Gary Bowyer was manager and then he suddenly returned and has been here consistently since.

In terms of timings this appears to have been around the time a certain shadow man started making decisions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Whilst I do think the criticism of Benson in the past has been a little OTT, it he’s our set piece coach and we don’t defend them well, it’s surely to be expected that he’s in the firing line?

Surely that is on JDT for given Ben Benson the job when he could do it himself or appoint someone like Damien Johnson or Mike Sheron to do it

3 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

at least they`ve played the game and got an understanding of a footballers pychology,tbh i`ve never heard of will still

Will Still is the Reims manager. 

Will Still has made the jump from Football Manager to Preston to Ligue 1 | Ligue 1 | The Guardian

Will Still: The 30-year-old English boss proving a hit at Ligue 1 Reims - BBC Sport

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Surely that is on JDT for given Ben Benson the job when he could do it himself or appoint someone like Damien Johnson or Mike Sheron to do it

They probably have their hands full with other aspects of day-to-day coaching. Benson is probably the most experienced at coaching in that field, which is quite frankly terrifying.

Just watching first half of Leeds vs PNE.

Its immediately obvious that north end are everything that we aren’t.  They’re well organised, solid and most importantly appear on today’s evidence to have individual players that can go head to head with their direct opponent. They give nothing away. 

Comparing that to our squad is comparing chalk to cheese. Our problems seem fundamental to me and not something that can be solved overnight with a couple of cheap loans or freebies. 

Edited by den
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, den said:

Just watching first half of Leeds vs PNE.

Its immediately obvious that north end are everything that we aren’t.  They’re well organised, solid and most importantly appear on today’s evidence to have individual players that can go head to head with their direct opponent. They give nothing away. 

Comparing that to our squad is comparing chalk to cheese. Our problems seem fundamental to me and not something that can be solved overnight with a couple of cheap loans or freebies. 

Yet there are six points separating us.

our problems are that we are overly reliant on youth players and desperately need experience and are being hampered by injuries. Carter and Pickering are two first choice defenders gone for a while and we have lost Hill, Hyam has only just got back as well as pears- tough time.

• Like 2