BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

5 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Everyone against the prospect of selling Wharton because we wouldn’t reinvest the money is exactly the same talk when the prospect of selling Rothwell came up a couple of January’s ago. Same people then criticised the club for allowing players to walk away for nothing.

£15m is reasonable for Wharton and we clearly need the cash. Don’t want him to go and clearly we won’t reinvest all of it but if it gets us 2/3 proven Championship players, it’s probably too good to turn down.

The contract situation with Wharton is completely different to Rothwell though.

I'm absolutely speechless that any genuine Rovers fan thinks £15m is a reasonable fee for Wharton.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Waggy76 said:

If Adam Wharton goes to Palace , I think that will be the final straw for many .... Certainly of my generation 55+

Relegation for certain next season if not this !!!

Chickens on the pitch 🐔🐔🐔

Correct ... anyone but them or dingles

• Like 1

Just now, martonrover said:

Hope O’Riordan has a great career at Rovers, but it’s just more of the same - sign a youngster and hope to add value.

We badly need some players for the here and now.

Our obsession with youth will lead to League One.

We can all see it but........

10 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

it's the opening bid never accept the opening bid the fact that they have bid earlier than last day of window suggests to me there will be discussions on the fee. Its no good to us tho as it will dissappear no matter how much the club gets

You can see what's going to happen here, we'll string it out until the last minute then either get no-one in or someone fairly crap in on loan and claim it was too late to do anything else.

It would be nice to be proved wrong.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You can see what's going to happen here, we'll string it out until the last minute then either get no-one in or someone fairly crap in on loan and claim it was too late to do anything else.

It would be nice to be proved wrong.

pretty much will get the usual we tried but could not get the players we wanted then the money will vanish next season and we will get a nice story about leasing another bus.

thing is £20m + add ons is a fair price and one that should be negotiable but and under the model something to consider but it would mean spending the funds to bring in 3 or 4 players who have potential resale value but I have no faith we would see a penny.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Must have suddenly found £500 k up front for O Riordan though? Might have got it from savings elsewhere then were just checking the Court case didn't go the wrong way?

Not necessarily. Maybe a higher down payment or shorter full repayment period which they accepted, or even other clauses like £350k now, ££200k in the summer and 10% of a future profit. Could be all sorts of ways to find an agreeable deal. 

1 hour ago, Waggy76 said:

If Adam Wharton goes to Palace , I think that will be the final straw for many .... Certainly of my generation 55+

Relegation for certain next season if not this !!!

Chickens on the pitch 🐔🐔🐔

Totally agree, hearing "Glad all over" gives me PTSD - I hate Palace.  Also it would be an awful move for Wharton - there are better Premiership clubs than that. 

16 minutes ago, alex l said:

Not necessarily. Maybe a higher down payment or shorter full repayment period which they accepted, or even other clauses like £350k now, ££200k in the summer and 10% of a future profit. Could be all sorts of ways to find an agreeable deal. 

The key thing is his wages will presumably be low as a 20 year old coming from Crewe. Even if a more experienced player and/or a player already in the Championship was a freebie, his wages would likely mean that the cost of the deal would be far more. The 500k fee (probably in bits and pieces hence the delay as you touch on) is hardly a sign of splashing the cash all things considered.

On 21/01/2024 at 17:59, bigbrandjohn said:

So i guess we have three scenarios

1 Holy Crap scenario. Sell Wharton to Spurs or Palace for 15 million and actually get the money in time and get a decent amount to spend. Likelihood 10%
2 Now what do we do scenario.  sell our experienced striker to Birmingham for 2 million and dither about which donkey we can persuade to join us Likelihood 30%

3 Oh Well part 3 scenario. Nobody gets sold and we wait in hope until transfer forum page 666 on deadline minute plus five to pray the fax works to sign a rookie striker with plenty of promise from a Division 2 side. Likelihood 60%

Blimey Scenario 1 could be on the money

15 million quid. Thank you very much. 

My concern is giving a percentage of that money to the egg. Too much for a novice to play with. 

Love Wharton but a luxury in our current predicament. We need at least one striker and a midfielder to replace Wharton. some of the 15 million will help. 

10 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Blimey Scenario 1 could be on the money

15 million quid. Thank you very much. 

My concern is giving a percentage of that money to the egg. Too much for a novice to play with. 

Love Wharton but a luxury in our current predicament. We need at least one striker and a midfielder to replace Wharton. some of the 15 million will help. 

We’ll hardly spend any of it. We never do. Please don’t sell. 

5 hours ago, booth said:

I can see Hodgson wanting to take him under his wing but it's a long way to go when Rovers have been your life since you  were 6. Money talks as they say, he could be set for life.

Such a shame all ambition has been stripped from BRFC.

Going to place and getting to play sure worked for Zaha. Beats going to a big club to play in reserves. 

• Like 3

Alex Scott was performing at a slightly higher level than Wharton and went for 25 million I think it was, I don’t believe 15 for Wharton is massively unreasonable, particularly as that 15 isn’t going to increase much anytime soon playing in a team that can’t win a game.

If there’s a decent sell on plus add ons I think it would be hard to turn down and if we can squeeze them up to 20 million then we’ll have no choice but to take it I feel.  

Edited by Butty

31 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I could name one or two who can’t 😉

It's not even age that's the problem. For me if you're good enough you're old enough. However it seems pointless signing players that aren't good enough now and who are maybe ones for the future/maybe not when the first X1 appear to be hurtling towards relegation.

• Like 2