BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v QPR (a) - 7/10/23

2 minutes ago, Danishfan said:

I was impressed by Leo and Siggy. Surely they must be first choice now?

Ah, well; you'd have thought so.

But if we've learned nothing else about JDT, we've surely learned not to predict his choices from one game to the next!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's funny how we watch the same games, but come away with different reviews.

I disagree with almost all of the above - I thought we finally took our chances, which we've failed to do numerous times this season, and we finally had a GK that wasn't just gifting the opposition goals. 

A much needed result, Walhstedt with important early save and today, we took our chances. To my mind, we are a better team than our position suggests and on our day are capable of beating any team in this league. If we can win these next two home matches, then the table will be looking a lot better.

• Like 4

We needed that! In the end the only disappointment was we didn’t get a couple more to repair our dismal goal difference.

We look a lot more solid with Hill in the back line. Nothing against Brittain, and while his personal form has been good of late we’ve shipped a lot of goals while he’s been at right back. He actually looked very at home on the wing and with a striker to actually get on the end of crosses that could be a really good option.

Really pleased for Dolan getting. Goal and putting in a really good performance - he’s had it tough so far this season. While the criticism of his form is wholly understandable some of the questioning of his attitude has been ott. Hopefully today puts that to bed.

Sigurdsson is going to be an absolute class act. He still looks a bit off the pace, but pretty soon he’s going to rip this league to bits. Much better midfield performance too, there didn’t seem to be as much space as there tends to be between Travis and Wharton.

Seems like this game came at a good time for us. QPR are not very good at all, comfortably the worst side we’ve faced, although that Armstrong looked a proper handful.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Theyve won 1 home game in a year and 2 points in 10 home games. Some of the mistakes they made were not only hilariously bad but totally unenforced, like for the fourth, not us necessarily making them look bad. Their right back (who is actually a left back) was particularly woeful. Weve "played better" this season and not got results, we made plenty of unenforced errors ourselves and there are certainly aspects (Carters performance, the keeper flapping at every thing, Hill is not a right back) of the performance that will cause concerns.

But football is and always has and will be a results game no matter what nonsense people like to spout. So to win 4 nil away from home is always a fantastic result and a great feeling going into the break. And of course there were plenty of positives. We did play well, you dont win 4 nil without playing well. But QPR made themselves look as bad as they keep proving they are at least as much as we made them look bad.

Good summary. Looking forward to seeing the highlights. Doubt they will show anything other than the goals. Interesting to read about Hills performance 

I’ve done nowt wrong. Wasn’t  that bad. I’ve had far worse at away games. Even the police agreed with me and other stewards agreed with me. The main steward walked off when challenged. What I’d done. What does that say?

Edited by Moptop1

It’s a great feeling tonight to be feeling happy again, with a Rovers performance. Disappointing as it was, we looked far better at the back at Cov and that continued today.

As has already been stated, QPR were poor, but you can only beat what’s in front of you.

I was really chuffed for Dolan. Granted he has his limitations, but his last two games have been far better than the previous few.

Hill looks like a decent loan, Walstead a lot more Assured than Pears and I think we have found a gem in Siggurdson.

Another decent game from Szmodics too, who is justifying the faith the manager clearly has in him.

Enjoy your night guys and up the mighty blues. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Moptop1 said:

I’ve dint nowt wrong. Wasn’t I’ve had far worse at away games. Even the police agreed with me and other stewards agreed with me. The main steward walked off when challenged.What days that say?

Pardon 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Good summary. Looking forward to seeing the highlights. Doubt they will show anything other than the goals. Interesting to read about Hills performance 

Hill was very good - Chair is one of the trickier players in this league. The GK conceded 0.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's funny how we watch the same games, but come away with different reviews.

I disagree with almost all of the above - I thought we finally took our chances, which we've failed to do numerous times this season, and we finally had a GK that wasn't just gifting the opposition goals. 

Wahlstedt certainly hasnt made any mistakes leading to goals and I am much more comfortable with him in net. Barely anything to do today. I think its a bit of a red flag though that he actively keeps choosing to punch catchable crosses, a very continental style. The punches arent flaps that drop into the box but they often ended back in the box and caused further danger that didnt need to happen.

We also scored 4 and the goals were all very well taken, so we were much more clinical than usual. But we got into attacking positions a number of times and made poor choices, sometimes just missing chances and sometimes not even creating a chance. We did throughout carry a threat though.

2 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Hill looks like he has a lot going for him and he hasnt let anyone down at right back but you can tell he isnt a natural there. With Carter our poorest performer today and with Brittain on the bench, I think I would move Hill inside. Against Chair he was beaten a few times in areas he naturally wont be strongest in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Very welcome and confidence-boosting win after a terrible run but goodness me, QPR were poor and look destined for the drop. I hope no one gets carried away - this isn't the start of a charge up the table 

I was expecting to see you posting in the optimists thread that we're only five points off the Play Off places, Jim 😉 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lraC said:

Hill looks like a decent loan, Walstead a lot more Assured than Pears 

Hill had an excellent game at Coventry in midweek though I still prefer Brittain at right back.  The new goalkeeper didn't do much wrong either 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moptop1 said:

I’ve dint nowt wrong. Wasn’t I’ve had far worse at away games. Even the police agreed with me and other stewards agreed with me. The main steward walked off when challenged.What days that say?

Just having a chuckle mate. I will say though, as the recipient of many, many drunk texts yours has all the hallmarks.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Moptop1 said:

Arh, you poor thing, do you need a hug and a glass of water?🙂

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Sigurdsson is first choice, he's just being handled carefully as he missed the entire preseason with a groin injury. I don't think he's played more than 60 minutes this season - hopefully we'll see him finishing games after the international break.

As for Wahlstedt, well he's clearly a much, much better GK than Pears ... but JDT seems to have a blind spot for Aynsley,so who knows

Well, for one, I don't; but I like to think that JDT wanted Wahlstedt to get himself acclimatised to British conditions before making him the first choice goalkeeper.

I was going to say I'd like to think Wahlstedt will be our regular League goalkeeper from now on, with Pears as the Cup keeper and on the bench for League games. But I also think we've a better chance of winning the next Carabao Cup game - and making more money (for re-investment in the squad, please, Venky's!) - if Leo's also between the posts for the Chelsea game.

So I kind-of hope JDT will be pragmatic about which goalkeeper plays in which game. After all, that's how he seems to be in his choices for who plays when and where where among many of the outfield players. And, allowing for a lower League position - presently - than we'd prefer, I trust him.

First time this season we have a Championship standard goalkeeper, Dolan and Sigurdson were excellent and Tronstad can actually play a part this season great result. We played a lot better without Adam Wharton who I’m a massive fan of, headache for the manager 

• Like 3