BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos Wahlstedt is leaving but we need an experience keeper signing along with Pears fighting for that number 1 jersey. 

Pears is a decent keepers but makes some mistakes aswell as very good saves. 

He's just not a decent keeper. He's nowhere near it. 

Pears up to this point has been generally very poor. It’s not just the huge blunders, it’s letting goals in that any half decent keeper would save. 

It’s ok making the odd eye-catching reaction save and tipping the ball over the bar. Most keepers in the pyramid can do that. What Pears gets consistently wrong is the basics. 

• Like 4

What went in Pears' favour last season was his injury. The clamour for Wahlstedt to play resulted in some over the top criticism every time Pears played,some "mistakes" which were highlighted were beyond ridiculous.

Once Wahlstedt had tried his hand, the magnifying glasses were put back in the drawer and we had some more reasonable criticism. He obviously dropped some clangers, but the defence was notably steadier when he came back in,i don't think anyone would argue.

The question is, does Eustace want him? Money wise it shouldn't be a problem, and it should be Eustace's number one priority. For that reason, I would imagine that if Pears starts as his number 1,it will be because Eustace wants him as his number 1.

• Downvote 1

It seems there is more intrigue and excitement at Rovers these days regarding sell on fees and bonuses on players previously sold after they go on to thrive elsewhere a la Kaminski and Wharton than there is about anything else.

It wouldn't bother me if said extra cash benefited Rovers in any shape or form but it won't, so all it does is make it even more pointless and annoying when the Telegraph and others go on about it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Money won’t be a problem? Excellent!

I think someone must have been on something very strong, to state that in their post.

31 minutes ago, M_B said:

What went in Pears' favour last season was his injury. The clamour for Wahlstedt to play resulted in some over the top criticism every time Pears played,some "mistakes" which were highlighted were beyond ridiculous.

Once Wahlstedt had tried his hand, the magnifying glasses were put back in the drawer and we had some more reasonable criticism. He obviously dropped some clangers, but the defence was notably steadier when he came back in,i don't think anyone would argue.

The question is, does Eustace want him? Money wise it shouldn't be a problem, and it should be Eustace's number one priority. For that reason, I would imagine that if Pears starts as his number 1,it will be because Eustace wants him as his number 1.

Lets not make out like it was an unfair agenda or scapegoating against Pears. He made numerous goal costing errors both before and after his injury. Wahlstedt's performances only compounded the fact that we dont have a competent goalkeeper.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

A lot of people blame Pears, but forget about our misfiring strikeforce that heaps pressure on defence and goalkeeper. His biggest clanger was against Sheffield wednsday, when he sliced the ball into his own goal. It was a dodgy backpass to him from hyam who was under pressure.

And was it Hyam’s fault for Wednesday’s first? Was it Hyam’s fault for Ipswich’s goal?

It’s not always; and doesn’t have to be always a ‘clanger’ from a goalkeeper either. Pears gets beat so fucking easily. There’s so many goals where you think ‘hmmm’ where it just didn’t look like going in. Not every ‘mistake’ has to be a keeper throwing it into his own net (which pears has done multiple times). He’s employed to stop goals and he doesn’t stop enough of them. I can name about 10 goals from the last 2 seasons he has conceded without even thinking where I’ve thought ‘how the fuck has that gone in?’ If any of his defenders would like to hear them please let me know! 

Edited by MB Rover
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lets not make out like it was an unfair agenda or scapegoating against Pears. He made numerous goal costing errors both before and after his injury. Wahlstedt's performances only compounded the fact that we dont have a competent goalkeeper.

As you know, I'm not talking about the obvious errors, I'm talking about the ones which wouldn't have even been mentioned normally. Like Markanday making a mistake and losing the ball, but it was somehow Pears' fault, that kind of scrutiny. It all got a bit ridiculous.

My main point was, a keeper should be relatively easy to recruit, if he's still in goal come August, it will be because Eustace wants him. There shouldn't be any talk of having to make do, or can't afford him. Those arguments won't stack up, like it or lump it, he will be Eustace's man.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Chaddy has tied himself in knots saying that a keeper was a priority signing prior to Wahlstedt rumours. Now there are rumours of John Ruddy, an experienced keeper but ultimately one past his best, thats what we need, because its believed to potentially be happening.

Tied in knots? You don't half talk some totally utter and completely nonsense. 

You immediately dismissed the Ruddy as it easy link. We were linked with in April btw before the season even finish. 

I dont really care about goalkeepers, Pears should be replaced if we can but Id rather put every penny into forwards and wingers.

When Sammy leaves we are going to be lucky to score 10-20 goals over the entire season with the personnel we have available.

10 minutes ago, roverblue said:

I dont really care about goalkeepers, Pears should be replaced if we can but Id rather put every penny into forwards and wingers.

When Sammy leaves we are going to be lucky to score 10-20 goals over the entire season with the personnel we have available.

Sammy could stay and we'd still be very likely to go down. Or he could leave and we could replace him with a 25 goal striker and still be very likely to go down.

Keeper should be (but won't be) just as much of a priority as striker. You don't care about goalkeepers because it's a criminally underrated position. It's not exciting. But it can absolutely win or cost you points.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, M_B said:

As you know, I'm not talking about the obvious errors, I'm talking about the ones which wouldn't have even been mentioned normally. Like Markanday making a mistake and losing the ball, but it was somehow Pears' fault, that kind of scrutiny. It all got a bit ridiculous.

My main point was, a keeper should be relatively easy to recruit, if he's still in goal come August, it will be because Eustace wants him. There shouldn't be any talk of having to make do, or can't afford him. Those arguments won't stack up, like it or lump it, he will be Eustace's man.

You can never ever say money won't be an issue here so whether Eustace rates him or not he'll be starting as number 1 again because of that very issue, money.

Unless Leo has a blinding pre season if he's still here but otherwise we make do with what we have in order to have cheaper wages and use money for paying running costs.

17 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Sammy could stay and we'd still be very likely to go down. Or he could leave and we could replace him with a 25 goal striker and still be very likely to go down.

Keeper should be (but won't be) just as much of a priority as striker. You don't care about goalkeepers because it's a criminally underrated position. It's not exciting. But it can absolutely win or cost you points.

Changing Pears wont be the difference in going up or down, you can get by with an average GK which is what he is (see chart above). Thats why I dont care its nothing about excitement.

I do care about the lack of creativity, pace and goal scoring left in our squad. With whatever pittance Venkys allow us to spend this should be the priority above anything else and we are in for a miserable season if its not addressed.

Edited by roverblue
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Changing Pears wont be the difference in going up or down, you can get by with an average GK which is what he is (see chart above). Thats why I dont care its nothing about excitement.

I do care about the lack of creativity, pace and goal scoring left in our squad. With whatever pittance Venkys allow us to spend this should be the priority above anything else and we are in for a miserable season if its not addressed.

Most successful teams are based on a good keeper.

• Like 7

Pears is a mid table championship keeper, playing at a mid table championship club, simple as that really. If it wasn't for his performance at Elland Road he'd be a mid table championship keeper playing at a league 1 club!

He deserves credit though in my book, the way he came back from that Wigan performance in the cup a few season ago should be applauded. That had to be a massive confidence drainer, he was awful in that game, but is a much better keeper now.

• Downvote 5