BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, arbitro said:

According to this he did.

“The situation accelerated very quickly with Crystal Palace in January and in 72 hours, it had gone from an offer we felt was nowhere near acceptable to one we had to have a serious conversation about.”

‘We’ never means ‘me’.

I guess if you thought Adam Wharton was simply a young championship lad that had made the most of a lucky break into the PL, then you would think £18m down was a good deal. 

It’s a bit naive though.

Edited by den
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

For £6million / £8million, some club will take a chance - yes there might be a limited sale value in 2/3 years time but when only half decent strikers are costing £35million+, Sammie is a snip at that price

Gestede - on appointment, said he was going to communicate with the fans.  Over 4 weeks since his appointment and as far as I can see / hear, he's said NOTHING.  IMO, shambolic hypocrisy.

Szmodics - I know of 2 persons with credible backgrounds (and one works in football) who understand Sammie has a release clause in his contract which is sub £10million but relates to PL clubs only; their information may or may not be right but the chances of it being right I would put at 90%.  If Sammie has such a clause, IMO, he will be gone and probably before the PL season starts - his agent should not have a difficult job finding a PL club to take a punt.  If there is no such clause, Rovers could kill the speculation at a stroke - 'Sammie is contracted to Blackburn Rovers until  June 2027 and we value him extremely highly and it would take a huge offer before we would even consider letting him leave the club'.  That is what Gesteded should be saying to kill the speculation and allay the fans' fears unless of course.................................!!!

Think you will find the up front fee was well shy of £22.5m and add-ons HAVE TO BE EARNED.

IMO, he was given away.  Contrast with Alex Scott, not half the player Wharton is, who last summer went from Bristol City to Bournemouth for £25million with a serious injury which meant he missed the first three months of the season.  Contrast the £40million Leeds received from Spurs for Gray - again, a player nowhere near Wharton's abilities.  Wee Dougie pulled our pants down.  We were well and truly had and it's time you stopped trying to defend the indefensible.

The club was desperate for funds to keep the lights on and avoid administration. Otherwise a figure that low should have been rejected out of hand. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

And yet all of his other transfers were nixed and he was put on gardening leave almost immediately afterwards...

But he clearly was part of the Wharton deal or at least involved in the 'serious conversations' about it.

2 minutes ago, alcd said:

The club was desperate for funds to keep the lights on and avoid administration. Otherwise a figure that low should have been rejected out of hand. 

It should have been rejected out of hand anyway, a shocking piece of business...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rover8T4 said:

Your only worth what someone is willing to pay. Being the only side in for him they made the move quickly and got him for the price they wanted. Go round in circles on ifs and buts

But when the buyer knows you need to sell something quickly it puts them in an advantageous position. The end of the transfer window was closing in and Palace knew of our desperation. It's as simple as that.

• Like 2

A bit depressing to read about A. Wharton constantly. I think most of the fans on here are on the same page on that one. We can judge this transfer window once it’s shut but we need bodies in soon to start making a unit. With the amount of players we need it will take some time to make a team out of it. We could be in for a rough start anyhow. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, arbitro said:

But when the buyer knows you need to sell something quickly it puts them in an advantageous position. The end of the transfer window was closing in and Palace knew of our desperation. It's as simple as that.

Completely agree. But there were lots of noise around the transfer and plenty of time for others to get involved. No one else were willing to pay the fee

I’m over the Wharton deal too. We have a long history of selling players for big money that have ended up not producing at their new clubs, Santa Cruz, Samba and Rhodes. We were bound to get caught once, the club need the money and may yet get more out of it. 
Three signings next week, will believe that when I see it.

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

He also called the yank fiasco at every stage 

Edit - Sorry, you mean the McGuire deal and not the fall out.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Carried away? It’s just the re-posting of a rumour from probably one of the few people on this forum with a bit of inside knowledge. If he knew the kit was pink in May then he has the inside track.

Whether he’s right on this, who knows, but it’s hardly beyond the realms of possibility that a bloke banging in the goals wanted a pay rise and also a release clause in order for Rovers to be able to protect an asset. This is a club, after all, that gave away a prodigious talent for half the price Leeds have just sold one for. 

I think you've misread my post. I was asking if someone is actually claiming to have information about a release clause, or if it's a essentially a chinese whisper as I've seen happen on here many times, where someone speculates and next thing you know half the forum are treating it as gospel.

We didn't protect our asset if we gave him a new contract that forces us to sell at a certain price, especially if that price is 6 or 8 million. Rather, we hamstrung ourselves, and paid a nice bonus and a wage bump for the privilege. We still had 2 years of protection, presumably at whatever price we deemed fit. It's shit negotiation.

19 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

The Premier League relegation was more obvious than the Coyle /Mowbray one ...

Both were deliberate!

The Dingle one was definitely deliberate I even asked Shelfy at the time if he looked at his record at Houston 3 wins in 18 matches & he said he did & defended his actions! 🙄

• Like 4

On 30/06/2024 at 13:56, Guest said:

I get the discontent, we have declined massively under their stewardship and I want them out as much as the rest, but we need to be realistic.

if they pull the plug and sell, 100% Administrator will be in

if we spend like all the fans want us to, we will also fold.

some of the blame has to go to the stay away fans. And people moaning about ST prices, they all want cheaper prices, that’s fine but expect a cheaper playing squad and lower standard of player. All I hear on here is moaning.

lower attendances means less revenue, if we have 25/30k we would be able to spend more and attract better talent. Not many good players want to play in a ground that’s a 1/3 full.

we are in a dire position and I don’t think they how to get out of it.

This is my last post as I’m tired of it all. If you want more money to spend, put your god damn hand in your pocket and support your club !!!!!

19 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

It's so bad that even the billy bullshitters haven't bothered.

The guy i quoted above yours did his best, but then went off in a huff, blamed the fans and deactivated his account because his bullshit was correctly called out.

Even @TommyRovers hasn't made anything up yet this summer.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobbyIsh1976 said:

Seems that anyone with a remotely positive viewpoint of anything related to our club, can forget participating on this "forum".   I've only been on it two days.   It's absolutely painful.  

You’re doing that tarring everyone with the same brush thing again.

5 minutes ago, BobbyIsh1976 said:

Seems that anyone with a remotely positive viewpoint of anything related to our club, can forget participating on this "forum".   I've only been on it two days.   It's absolutely painful.  

Besides the academy and the supporters. What else about 'our club' is positive?

• Like 1