BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Obviously our opinion doesnt count really.

But just because Eustace wants it. And that assumes that he does, because its not as straightforward as that because hes clearly got no money to play with. That doesnt make it automatically the correct decision.

He is too old, he cannot play in a back 4, he is so slow that we have to play really deep to cover his lack of pace (see Plymouth for how that can go wrong) and he he turns 38 this season.

And what is key. This was surely an easy deal to do. So if we were so keen, at least sign him up before the end of pre season.

As above, he’s quicker than Hyam. And Eustace likes to defend deep at times so it won’t be a concern in those games.

Fadz organisation skills are excellent. He brought so much to that team last season. 

11 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

How fit was he when he joined us last season? And if the manager wants him back then it’s clearly not a terrible idea to him, which us what ultimately counts.

Why this assumption? I'm more inclined to believe that it's very much a last resort. "John, do you want no new center backs or an unfit 37 year old?"

• Like 7

Just now, Forever Blue said:

As above, he’s quicker than Hyam. And Eustace likes to defend deep at times so it won’t be a concern in those games.

Fadz organisation skills are excellent. He brought so much to that team last season. 

He definitely isnt quicker than Hyam. Hyam can play in a back 4 and in a team that doesnt have to defend its own 18 yard box.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He definitely isnt quicker than Hyam. Hyam can play in a back 4 and in a team that doesnt have to defend its own 18 yard box.

He definitely is. There was a scenario last season where both of them were running back after a corner with the opposition on the counter. Fadz left him for dead. I don’t think you realise quite how slow Hyam is.

7 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

He definitely is. There was a scenario last season where both of them were running back after a corner with the opposition on the counter. Fadz left him for dead. I don’t think you realise quite how slow Hyam is.

We clearly have different opinions on how he will help/hinder us. But surely we agree that the time of any potential new contract at the end of pre season is crazy.

I suspect that only in the last couple of weeks have Venkys authorised the annual budget. 

Hence zero movement or even rumour up until the last week or so and suggestions shadow man went out to India not long ago to sort it out.

So he's probably come back with permission to use a sliver of the fortunes brought in and some flex on the wages to add a handful, soon to be recouped in any event with Szmodics to be sold.

It is the only logical explanation for nothing being done until now even the easiest of deals in McFadzean, which of course would have been wrapped up many weeks ago at a functional football club (not that I'm keen on it, it stinks of desperation to me).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We clearly have different opinions on how he will help/hinder us. But surely we agree that the time of any potential new contract at the end of pre season is crazy.

Yes, how they are operating is bizarre and Fadz is the perfect example. JE said he’d like to keep him at the end of last season and yet it’s taken until now for them to start negotiations with someone who won’t be on much. 

But we’ve seen it all before. The club is run by amateurs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I suspect that only in the last couple of weeks have Venkys authorised the annual budget. 

Hence zero movement or even rumour up until the last week or so and suggestions shadow man went out to India not long ago to sort it out.

So he's probably come back with permission to use a sliver of the fortunes brought in and some flex on the wages to add a handful, soon to be recouped in any event with Szmodics to be sold.

It is the only logical explanation for nothing being done until now even the easiest of deals in McFadzean, which of course would have been wrapped up many weeks ago at a functional football club (not that I'm keen on it, it stinks of desperation to me).

This would be my guess too. 

4 minutes ago, London blue said:

If that's the case it's a sad indictment of Eustace's ambitions for the team.

You could have said the same for King Kenny when he signed Tony Gale. 

These players bring experience and know-how. Fadz showed his worth last season. I doubt he’ll be playing every game. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Devon Rover said:

Random question: When a player flies to complete a transfer (like our incoming/potentially incoming/possibly incoming new signing), who pays for the flights?

Think it varies but usually the buying club, in the tragic case of Emilano Sala the agent arranged it and blamed Cardiff for not sorting it for them though so it may depend how desperate someone is to move.

Remember Odemwinge driving himself somewhere on deadline day to try and get a move 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, J*B said:

A 37 year old centre back who’s only way to be effective is defend our 18 yard line. 

A forward released on a free transfer from League One Wigan.

An unproven forward from the J League that’s had an ACL on a free.

This is as bad as I had feared it could be. We could be on for a record low point relegation. 

I will start with the caveat that I do not think that Humpheys is the answer, but stating he was released from Wigan is like stating Brereton, Lenihan, Rothwell etc were released from Rovers.  All of them left after turning down new contracts

• Like 7

Just now, Forever Blue said:

Jackson saying Fadz talks at advanced stage and should be announced next week, same timeframe for Yuki.

Much more pleased with that than Danny Batth

*  As long as Fadz is essentially signing to sit on the bench and be brought on to switch to a back 5 in games when Rovers are under the cosh and holding onto a lead etc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentExile said:

Much more pleased with that than Danny Batth

*  As long as Fadz is essentially signing to sit on the bench and be brought on to switch to a back 5 in games when Rovers are under the cosh and holding onto a lead etc

My worry is Hyam and Pears. They were directly responsible for both the Bristol City and Sheff Wed debacles. Those two were a liability. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Last year the Venky's mandate was "no signings unless there's resale value and only 1-year deals for those in the twilight of their career". This year it's quite clear it's "no fees and anyone on a cheap wage to fill the numbers".

Edited by G Somerset Rover
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Agreed, if the lad from Crewe isn’t ready yet.

As we are strapped for cash, as we were in the Jan window, why on earth spend money on a 20/21 year old player who is not ready, and might never be ready, to play in our first team.  Defies logic.  Think it's clear Eustace doesn't think he's good enough for our first team.

Edited by Mercer

29 minutes ago, J*B said:

A 37 year old centre back who’s only way to be effective is defend our 18 yard line. 

A forward released on a free transfer from League One Wigan.

An unproven forward from the J League that’s had an ACL on a free.

This is as bad as I had feared it could be. We could be on for a record low point relegation. 

When you add in how much we've brought into the club and are likely to be adding £8m more in a Szmodics sale, near £40m in total, it's all very depressing.

Totally unacceptable.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Absolutely crazy that at 37 he can miss a pre season and yet we still sign him 🙈

Insanely disorganised and depressing from the club. A total sign of the times at Ewood under Waggott and Venky's. God knows how they've sold any season tickets.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, which is what signings seem to be around these parts these days, but I have no interest in seeing McFadzean back in a Rovers shirt. It feels like a waste of a wage.

7 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

My worry is Hyam and Pears. They were directly responsible for both the Bristol City and Sheff Wed debacles. Those two were a liability. 

Hyam really struggled for a few games last season, but I expect that to be a blip. His first season wasn't a fluke, and to be honest we were unlikely to see the best of any of our centre backs after 18 months of JDT. I rated Tomasson hugely, but he was a defender's nightmare in terms of what he asked them to do and the lack of protection they were given. Pears is a different kettle of fish and I agree needs replacing. 

I can't pretend I'm overly happy with McFadzean but it makes sense if i) he's on buttons and ii) he's been brought in as depth for when we defend deep with three at the back. In those situations he still has a lot to contribute, but if not he's not up to playing with less protection these days.

• Like 1