BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

1 hour ago, London blue said:

Why this assumption? I'm more inclined to believe that it's very much a last resort. "John, do you want no new center backs or an unfit 37 year old?"

I am guessing that O’Riordan (spelling??) has failed to impress in preseason - so the above question becomes very relevant 

2 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

Anyone else got a bad feeling that Ohashi is gonna get hijacked by another Club?

Free, low wages, no competition... it all just seems too good to be true.

We do have form for paying agents more than most though…

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

Not really because we’re talking about a different player in a different team in a different position. Fadz was very good last season in organising a bunch of headless chickens into a coherent defensive unit.

He was also quicker than Hyam last season

Downing was the player of the season the year before, I believe, and had a much higher ceiling (England international). 

10 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

I am guessing that O’Riordan (spelling??) has failed to impress in preseason - so the above question becomes very relevant 

We needed another CB regardless with Wharton out for the year. You need at least 4 senior CBs. Ideally you need 5.

We currently have 3, and 1 of them only has League 2 experience.

37 minutes ago, KentExile said:

I will start with the caveat that I do not think that Humpheys is the answer, but stating he was released from Wigan is like stating Brereton, Lenihan, Rothwell etc were released from Rovers.  All of them left after turning down new contracts

Its the negative spin to counter when Waggott announces him as "An impressive capture of League One Superstar"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Hyam really struggled for a few games last season, but I expect that to be a blip. His first season wasn't a fluke, and to be honest we were unlikely to see the best of any of our centre backs after 18 months of JDT. I rated Tomasson hugely, but he was a defender's nightmare in terms of what he asked them to do and the lack of protection they were given. Pears is a different kettle of fish and I agree needs replacing. 

I can't pretend I'm overly happy with McFadzean but it makes sense if i) he's on buttons and ii) he's been brought in as depth for when we defend deep with three at the back. In those situations he still has a lot to contribute, but if not he's not up to playing with less protection these days.

Yeah, we need Hyam back to his best. His confidence was shot in the last few months of the season. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

My worry is Hyam and Pears. They were directly responsible for both the Bristol City and Sheff Wed debacles. Those two were a liability. 

Hyam has 12 months left on his deal I think. On that basis, given his performances and public all out with fans, in normal circumstances you'd suggest he will probably be sold?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

Hyam has 12 months left on his deal I think. On that basis, given his performances and public all out with fans, in normal circumstances you'd suggest he will probably be sold?

Yeah, I would be fine with him being sold - if there were a buyer. Having been close up to see his 'performance' at Bristol and his patronising gestures to fans, combined with what comes across to me as a lack of intelligence and energy, led to me actually disliking him as a Rovers player, which is quite rare. 

The big issue, of course, wouldn't be Hyam leaving but who (if anyone) would replace him.

• Like 6

Hyam isn't at Duffy levels of dislike, but there is a, seemingly, mutual level of contempt on display. Even his performances in his first season probably didn't warrant being one of the highest earners nor receiving the captaincy.

11 minutes ago, J*B said:

I thought a few of the players in the last year of their contracts would be sold this summer, but clearly they can’t replace them so I presume they’ll just walk away for nothing next summer. 

6 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

Yeah, I would be fine with him being sold - if there were a buyer. Having been close up to see his 'performance' at Bristol and his patronising gestures to fans, combined with what comes across to me as a lack of intelligence and energy, led to me actually disliking him as a Rovers player, which is quite rare. 

The big issue, of course, wouldn't be Hyam leaving but who (if anyone) would replace him.

I actually think Hyam comes across as having a brain, certainly more than most of the other players at the club. But sometimes that can be a downfall as they’re more aware and hypersensitive to criticism, which Hyam clearly is.

He was as shocking at times last season as he was brilliant in the first season, who knows what we’ll get this season but i certainly don’t dislike the guy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Theaxe15 said:

I actually think Hyam comes across as having a brain, certainly more than most of the other players at the club. But sometimes that can be a downfall as they’re more aware and hypersensitive to criticism, which Hyam clearly is.

He was as shocking at times last season as he was brilliant in the first season, who knows what we’ll get this season but i certainly don’t dislike the guy.

I think we have seen different interviews! Whatever someone's sensitivity to criticism, gesturing negatively at your own team's fans isn't helpful or ok. Especially when your performances have been gash.

Like in non-football life, though, I should never close my mind to changing my view of someone so here's to Hyam playing well, signing a new deal, and keeping his gob shut towards fans while opening it more on the pitch, as a leader in what is highly likely to be a difficult season.

3 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

I think we have seen different interviews! Whatever someone's sensitivity to criticism, gesturing negatively at your own team's fans isn't helpful or ok. Especially when your performances have been gash.

Like in non-football life, though, I should never close my mind to changing my view of someone so here's to Hyam playing well, signing a new deal, and keeping his gob shut towards fans while opening it more on the pitch, as a leader in what is highly likely to be a difficult season.

That was my issue with Hyam last season. We needed a leader and he as captain should have been that man, but he was weak. If it wasn’t for Fadz actually organising that defence we would have gone down IMO. 

Not sure who has been selected as captain this season but I sincerely hope it isn’t Hyam.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

Completely agree on the gesturing. That calm down one when we’d been absolutely tragic in a huge game (maybe Millwall at home?) was completely ill judged. 
Also believe he shouldn’t be captain, but saying that I have no idea who should.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Tronstad is the most level headed and reliable, not sure he'd be well received as captain though as people tend to like blood and thunder types to be captain. 

If somehow Szmodics is still a rovers player in September then he MUST be made captain. There is no other candidate that comes close to him IMO.

The club is seriously lacking leaders on the pitch.

6 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Tronstad is the most level headed and reliable, not sure he'd be well received as captain though as people tend to like blood and thunder types to be captain. 

He seems very quiet as well (in interviews at least), appreciate it can be different on the pitch bit he doesn't strike me as good captain material.

I'd be giving the armband back to Travis tbh.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Is Hyam definitely losing the captaincy? Would be a big move and one I am a bit surprised by as ex-Coventry I thought he was quite tight with Eustace?

We don't really have any players who stand out as a captain. Probably the ones who would be the best fit personality wise either get injured too often (JRC) are about to be sold (Szmodics) or will not start enough game (McFadz if he signs). Could give it back to Travis but is his head  in the right place after we told him we didn't want him? I am sure he will be looking for a move. And will he actually play every week - I think so now we with Eustace but not totally sure.

Tronstad, Hyam etc are too quiet in my opinion.

It's getting very precarious now.. our leaders are not really good leaders, but even they have contracts that are running down and probably their commitment to the cause is ebbing away.

Edited by joey_big_nose

1 hour ago, Mars Rover said:

Hyam isn't at Duffy levels of dislike, but there is a, seemingly, mutual level of contempt on display. Even his performances in his first season probably didn't warrant being one of the highest earners nor receiving the captaincy.

If being Player of the Season doesn't warrant being one of the highest earners, I'm not sure what does.

3 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

He definitely is. There was a scenario last season where both of them were running back after a corner with the opposition on the counter. Fadz left him for dead. I don’t think you realise quite how slow Hyam is.

I once saw Lorenzo Amoruso overtake Michael Owen in a chase for the ball.

Bursts of adrenaline vs tiredness can do a lot in a single situation. Doesn't mean that player is actually quicker overall.

1 hour ago, Mars Rover said:

I very much hope that the dislike of Hyam isn't on the same planet as Duffy 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rigger said:

Deceptively slow.

What piling on the muscle does to you I guess. Looked like he’d be blown away in a light breeze when he first signed. Now he’s built like a can of coke. Has its advantages but has definitely slowed him down.

• Like 1