BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

Pears is bad but at times our defenders didn't do enough to protect their goalkeepers. He has improved his kicking and shot stopping but gets muscled out and is easily bullied, and therefore lacks the presence needed. Hopefully de Lange is an improvement over Wahlstedt but the highlight reel wasn't too reassuring in that sense. 

He kicked the ball into his own fucking net.

He's shit and I never want to see him play for Rovers again.

• Like 2

I think Pears is technically ok. He even has good games and has saved us…BUT he’s not a number 1 mentally and is capable at any point of having a complete mind fart. Whether they be kicking, letting one in at his near post, or from distance…he’s a liability and that does not breed confidence.

Good goalkeepers are solid, and make very few mistakes. Which builds confidence and momentum in a team.

Great goalkeepers are ‘good goalkeepers’ (as above) who make important saves. Saves at crucial times in games. Think Schmeichel in his hay day or Alisson at Liverpool. Think Brad Friedel…the number of times he single handedly kept us 1-0 up with crucial saves.

Pears is neither of the above, sadly. I do think with age, and maturity he could become a ‘good’ keeper….but we can’t gamble our future on him evolving quick enough.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 5

The feeling of pure despair that Pears created with that Sheffield Wednesday game was the final nail for me. I thought he’d single handedly relegated us after that. Despite staying up the ship has sailed as far as chances for Pears is concerned (I imagine that’s the case in Eustace’s mind too). Should this Dutch keeper sign this week, at the very latest he should be starting at Norwich. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

De Lange still in training. So cant be close.

Screenshot_20240805_104508_X.jpg

Reports seem to suggest we haven't even agreed a fee so until we do it won't be getting any closer either.

I still don't see a Universe in which we're paying £2m for a keeper in the current situation myself.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

According to a dutch reporter on Twitter who is actively following the club, it should be a matter of hours not days. Seems to be all but sorted apparently. But yes with us you just never know :).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heinz said:

According to a dutch reporter on Twitter who is actively following the club, it should be a matter of hours not days. Seems to be all but sorted apparently. But yes with us you just never know :).

Do you have a screenshot/link?

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

I know for certain most will disagree but I don't think Pears is anywhere near as bad as people make out sometimes.

Over a full season i 100% don't want him as my first choice keeper, because over that period of time he will make too many mistakes. For the sake of potentially a few games though he's an OK understudy. 

Kinda inherent to sports forums rhetoric, but I do wonder how much of the 'fights' on this forum would be easily resolved/less antagonistic if we were just chatting over pints. Just the other day a friend (rightly) called me out for a dumb opinion about goalkeepers where if I had read it as a transcript I might've been irked, but we were just trading opinions over pints, so no harm no foul!

I'm not at all comfortable with Pears as our starter and definitely need to bring in another keeper to challenge/usurp him (presumably that's the plan with Leo gone), but he's had enough good spells for us that I think some posts are over the top. Ultimately strikes me as a below-average Championship keeper or maybe L1 level, but hardly a pub footballer. Yet I'm hardly a 'fan' of his, so happy to let some posters shit on him without comment haha

Similarly, a lot of the debates about Gally seemed to stem from some posters reacting to him being described like a 0 goals in 47 appearances Chris Brown, when he was fairly 'consistently' a 1 in 5 striker across his career with us. Not good enough scoring-wise, but hardly deserves to be in that company! (I suppose you could then get into debates about bang-for-buck, but that's a different argument!)

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

I think Pears is a horrific shot stopper, and the stats for xG last season show that. He gets beat from any angle

His xG stats were in the negative, but still better than Ruddy, Iversen, Begovic who have all been touted on here. And Begovic was even worse than Leo in that regard.

15 minutes ago, markhayhurst said:

** (apologies on size of font )Derby County given green light to complete Karamoko Dembele transfer
https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-given-green-light-9460194.amph

Good signing for them, he will cause problems…Good dribbler, direct and quick off the mark…Don’t think he’s as good as his brother, abit lightweight, but still would of took him here.

Hope it doesn’t get done before Friday. 

Edited by BankEnd Rover

Majority of keepers are good shot stoppers otherwise they wouldn't be at a professional club. What sets them apart is decision making, confidence, focus, Pears has none of these attributes and will be prone to mistakes.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, rob_of_the_rovers said:

His xG stats were in the negative, but still better than Ruddy, Iversen, Begovic who have all been touted on here. And Begovic was even worse than Leo in that regard.

I know, but being better than those keepers is like being the worlds tallest dwarf!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

I know for certain most will disagree but I don't think Pears is anywhere near as bad as people make out sometimes.

Over a full season i 100% don't want him as my first choice keeper, because over that period of time he will make too many mistakes. For the sake of potentially a few games though he's an OK understudy. 

Pears is OK as long as he doesn't play.

• Like 3

Further to my above post, it’s not just mistakes that highlight how poor a keeper is. We conceded goals with pears in net out of nowhere, someone had a strike and all of a sudden it’s in the back of the net and you’re sat there thinking hmmm that just shouldn’t have gone in. I can name 10-12 goals off the top of my head where I looked at it and thought, how the fucks that gone in?! One that sticks out to me (again overshadowed by Morton for the third goal) was McBurnie’s equaliser in the cup quarter final. No way any goalkeeper in the championship should be beaten by that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

Pears is lucky that the Wednesday mistake was so bad, because people have forgot the one at home to Ipswich which was even worse!  

Not sure if I'd say worse, but definitely equally as bad!

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13104167/blackburn-goalkeeper-aynsley-pears-gifts-ipswichs-conor-chaplin-the-opener

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

O'Brien trained with Forest in the morning before driving up to Manchester for a medical on transfer deadline day last season.

Clubs operate weirdly in this regard.

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

Happy to hear it. I don't know what I would have done without my dog since my parents passed away.  He's been great company for me.

My dog was stung on his lip a few years ago. He would whimper every now and again.  Then we took him to emergency vet where they put him under anaesthesia.  She found a tiny sting hole in his lip. He got better

I always carry a couple of Piroton tablets (well Home Bargains cheap equivalent) in my phone case in case of bee stings or snake bites as it has happened to my dogs before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Pears is technically ok. He even has good games and has saved us…BUT he’s not a number 1 mentally and is capable at any point of having a complete mind fart. Whether they be kicking, letting one in at his near post, or from distance…he’s a liability and that does not breed confidence.

Good goalkeepers are solid, and make very few mistakes. Which builds confidence and momentum in a team.

Great goalkeepers are ‘good goalkeepers’ (as above) who make important saves. Saves at crucial times in games. Think Schmeichel in his hay day or Alisson at Liverpool. Think Brad Friedel…the number of times he single handedly kept us 1-0 up with crucial saves.

Pears is neither of the above, sadly. I do think with age, and maturity he could become a ‘good’ keeper….but we can’t gamble our future on him evolving quick enough.

It can’t be a coincidence that when Kaminski was in goal, Hyam was very good and when Pears was our #1 and after a number of howlers e.g. Ipswich away, Hyam was average. If a player doesn’t trust their GK then it limits their options when in possession and puts pressure on them, which occasionally will lead to mistakes being made. Confidence then goes and performances suffer and silly goals are conceded. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I always carry a couple of Piroton tablets (well Home Bargains cheap equivalent) in my phone case in case of bee stings or snake bites as it has happened to my dogs before.

Will look into that

• Like 1