BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

2 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Really don't understand this one at all. 

Probably wouldn't be expensive wages but we desperately need pace out wide and he's a similar profile of player to what we already have. 

Might be info thats out of date, I.e. info that was shared prior to a breakthrough with Cantwell and only just been filtered down but that’s what I’ve heard from a couple of people

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Probably wouldn't be expensive wages but we desperately need pace out wide and he's a similar profile of player to what we already have. 

Preferable to get linked to players like this than what we were linked to when Broughton was DOF.

17 minutes ago, Neal said:

So many variables that will stop Cantwell from coming, take your pick and feel free to add more... 

Offers from other clubs, Swag changing his mind, the owners not answering the phone, us fucking up the application... Strangely, I'm not even that desperate for it to happen, it seems like a weird signing, a forced signing that's doomed to fail but I admire the ambition and determination behind the manager to take it on and make a player out of him again. 

If anything it's just a welcome distraction so I don't have to obsess over playing those creatures on Saturday. 

I don't think he's been playing badly at Rangers at all, so the player is already there and Eustace doesn't have to make him one 'again'. The question is how/whether it challenges the dressing room, especially considering he will be earning a lot more than a few of our other regulars. If he doesn't knuckle down in training and in matches it's easy for others to feel frustrated.

I think he can work wonders in the pocket with Travis and Tronstad as enforcers behind him, and Mt. Gueye infront of him, with the buzzing Ohashi joining it. Cantwell will provide a lot of chances and chip in with a fair few goals himself if he joins, I'm sure of that. Just need to make sure the balance in the team remains right. Imagine if we could get two quick wingers in as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Would think we would look to offload one if Aasgaard joins, just not sure who. Siggy?

• Like 1

Re Cantwell's style of play, it's similar to Adam Wharton from what I recall. If he wants to, he can pick the ball up on the half turn, run with the ball, shield it, draw fouls, pick out killer passes.

He also has a decent dead ball delivery.

I referred to him as Todd Cant(playvery)well the other day, which was harsh. Clearly he's had problems but perhaps he can benefit from the "big fish in small pond" concept to keep him grounded, and from the oft-quoted team spirit there is at Ewood & Brockall for which JE also has a reputation of fostering.

49 minutes ago, roverblue said:

If Cantwell does come where does he play as don't know much about him?

Sounds like he takes Dolans spot rather than on the wing. Hope we are still bringing in some pacey wingers as it would make a huge difference to the team and our ability to threaten.

Can we expect someone out the door to pay for this. Dolan/Sig/RC two of them are on the last year of their contract. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a snap sale off the back of this one in…two out 🤣🤣🤣

If Cantwell signs and he’s here a season it would have cost the club around 1.5 million overall. Be 27 years old, if it doesn’t work out I would be astonished in todays market that we couldn’t recoup that money back. It’s not a massive gamble money wise and it’s not like he’s been playing bad, He just wanted to leave and got placed in the reserves. (Attitude aside)

21 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Re Cantwell's style of play, it's similar to Adam Wharton from what I recall. If he wants to, he can pick the ball up on the half turn, run with the ball, shield it, draw fouls, pick out killer passes.

He also has a decent dead ball delivery.

I referred to him as Todd Cant(playvery)well the other day, which was harsh. Clearly he's had problems but perhaps he can benefit from the "big fish in small pond" concept to keep him grounded, and from the oft-quoted team spirit there is at Ewood & Brockall for which JE also has a reputation of fostering.

Really? For me Wharton is very much a deep lying playmaker in the Tugay or Michael Carrick mould. Can get forward but gravitates deeper to control games. Cantwell from my memory does seem a lot more like a number 10 playing in behind the striker(s). 

Would be great if he was a deeper playmaker, as that is what we need the most to improve our play in my opinion. But I think he will be coming in to play at 10 or as a wide player who cuts inside.

Edit - it's a shame really as while he is obviously a good player better than what we have it addresses an area of the pitch where we have our best set of options already (Sigurdsson, Ohashi, Dolan, Hedges, JRC, Buckley etc). Maybe we could try and use him deeper, but he doesn't strike me as someone particularly open to having his natural game deprioritised...

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, booth said:

Preferable to get linked to players like this than what we were linked to when Broughton was DOF.

We were linked to him when Broughton was DOF and the mooted fee then was £3-£4m I think.

Saw an article online saying we were waiting for the Owners to give the green light to the deal. What could possibly go wrong with that?

If it does go through, hope he does better than the last midfielder we signed from Rangers (wee Barry) who cost £7m then decided he was homesick a few months later culminating in us almost having to give him back to Rangers.

Can only see this one being either an absolutely inspired piece of business or a complete disaster. Don't think they'll be any middle ground with it.

"Talks going in the right direction"

Again, lots of noise but no final outcome yet. The longer it drags on, the more worried I become. Which is odd as I wasn't bothered about Cantwell when the news first came out, but at the rumoured upfront cost it seems a good deal.

Edited by TugaysMarlboro
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rover1984 said:

If Cantwell signs and he’s here a season it would have cost the club around 1.5 million overall. Be 27 years old, if it doesn’t work out I would be astonished in todays market that we couldn’t recoup that money back. It’s not a massive gamble money wise and it’s not like he’s been playing bad, He just wanted to leave and got placed in the reserves. (Attitude aside)

If it doesn't go well then we'll do well to recoup a penny - we seem to be getting him on the cheap as it is and that's partially because he's seen as damaged goods. If he does alright then obviously it's a different story, but if he fails then it'll be a case of someone taking his contract on a free at best, I think.

That said, I'm definitely coming round to his signing. I didn't realise that he was doing alright at Rangers before throwing his toys out of the pram. I still worry about his attitude, but it's a worthwhile gamble. 

The more I see "in the right direction" and similar the more I get the feeling that this will be used an excuse for why we didn't get half the deals we should have over the line when it falls through.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

"Talks going in the right direction"

Again, lots of noise but no final outcome yet. The longer it drags on, the more worried I become. Which is odd as I wasn't bothered about Cantwell when the news first came out, but at the rumoured upfront cost it seems a good deal.

Yep.

If the likes of Myers and Jackson are to be believed it sounds a long way from being cut and dried.

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

If it doesn't go well then we'll do well to recoup a penny - we seem to be getting him on the cheap as it is and that's partially because he's seen as damaged goods. If he does alright then obviously it's a different story, but if he fails then it'll be a case of someone taking his contract on a free at best, I think.

That said, I'm definitely coming round to his signing. I didn't realise that he was doing alright at Rangers before throwing his toys out of the pram. I still worry about his attitude, but it's a worthwhile gamble. 

It’s 100% worth the gamble. I reckon the big sell from us (John Park) is “Come back home (England), work with John Eustace, who is great with the lads and rebuild in an environment away from the bright lights of London. Be a big fish again…if you can rediscover your best form, the fans will love you, you can lead us to the PL and be the man. If you can’t help us get promotion then you’ll get a great move. We have a history of developing forwards and selling them to top tier clubs…see Arma, Sammie…Brero has done well.”

• Like 4