BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (a) - 1/4/24

He was good today, Hedges was very good, both a surprise considering we were supposedly playing with 9 with them starting.

That front 4 are our only 4 attacking players that are capable at this level. Ideally we would have those 4 and then 3 or 4 more signed in to compete. Wont happen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Dolans best game in a rovers shirt in a long time. 
Tronstad on a free is surely the bargain of the decade? Moran & Markanday with a nice cameo.

I see the Nobbers haven’t helped us out…Again - But 5 points clear with a healthier GD is nice.

Still loads to do but really happy for Eustace! 

I actually think Dolan's been improved for sometime.  I love it when he disappears in a crowd of 3 big lads with the ball and comes out the other side with it.  He is definately on the up, hope it continues cos he can be fun to watch.

Tronstadt was an awesome pick up.  Travs tenacity with a football brain and technical ability thrown in.  Yeah, good un and I think there is more to come from him.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, des said:

Well we won which us great intninkmwe can play better but winning is what count s. Ps we need new goal keepers

Top priority.  He's cost us a goal.again and was lucky on several ther occasions.  He loves to pat the ball back into danger.  He scares the crap outta me anytime I think he may be involved in a play.  Just an out and out liability that has to keep defenders wondering too.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Two chances for Sunderland already.   Not expecting much today.

glad this one didn't age well 😊

• Like 1

I said at half time, it was a huge half coming up, both in terms of the season and the future of the club. A relegation this season, would take some serious recovering from, but hopefully yesterdays result, has eased those fears now.

The two key players for me yesterday, were Szmodics and Dolan. I also thought JRC was superb and his assist for the second was excellent.

I watched it on Rovers TV from Spain, as I have all bar 3 of the league games this year, although instead of the TV nearly being launched, yesterday it was decked in Blue and white ribbons post match.

The monkey is now off the Managers back, so hopefully, we can pick up some points in the next 2 and the shredded nerves, can take a break for the last count le of games. 

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

Had the Sunderland TV reaction on in the background and they were saltier than sea water. Was lovely to see.

• Like 5

Well i did say Sunderland had nowt to play for and their crowd wouldn't be putting the usual pressure on them.  Nice of them to switch off completely on the pitch and bugger off home out of the stands nice and early.

We still had to be on the money we've found ways to cock up situations like that in the recent past.

Saints are feeling the pressure so if we can actually follow that performance up there's no reason we can't get a result.  

How good does it feel this morning! soooooooooo good!
I'm confident now. We draw to Southampton Saturday, then beat Bristol on the Wednesday, I reckon we get a nice mini wave now, then lose to Leeds. But 4 points from next 2 games from saints and bristol will practically see us over the line. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Upside Down said:

To be fair he could score a hat trick and set up four goals along with clearing two off the line and you'd still be saying he'd had a shit game.

I’ve got to admit I’m not a fan. He misses too many chances and he misses more game than a physical giant should. Fair play to him yesterday, coming off his sick bed to play his usual 60, 65 minutes. I had to laugh when the miss control got him past the Sunderland defender for the goal. I think for the wages he’s reputedly to be on we could do better. I see the Sunderland fans are complaining that he roughed their players up - about bloody time is my immediate thought.

He’s up against his old club that let him go on Saturday. Let’s see if he can make them regret letting him go.

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve got to admit I’m not a fan. He misses too many chances and he misses more game than a physical giant should. Fair play to him yesterday, coming off his sick bed to play his usual 60, 65 minutes. I had to laugh when the miss control got him past the Sunderland defender for the goal. I think for the wages he’s reputedly to be on we could do better. I see the Sunderland fans are complaining that he roughed their players up - about bloody time is my immediate thought.

He’s up against his old club that let him go on Saturday. Let’s see if he can make them regret letting him go.

What is clear is that the team plays far better when he is in the side ...

• Like 2

If you were going to take one of the front four out yesterday Gallagher was the one who seemed to contribute very little. We were focussing on quick passing, running with the ball, one two linkup. Gallagher just offers very little in that style of play. But we won 5-1 so maybe what he was doing off the ball had a big impact to enable others to score?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

If you were going to take one of the front four out yesterday Gallagher was the one who seemed to contribute very little. We were focussing on quick passing, running with the ball, one two linkup. Gallagher just offers very little in that style of play. But we won 5-1 so maybe what he was doing off the ball had a big impact to enable others to score?

Gallagher was excellent yesterday and we are much better with him in the team currently then not. Still need another striker signing but Gallagher has proved his worth under Eustace 

• Like 1

On the Gallagher debate, it is interesting to read what the Sunderland supporters thought of his performance yesterday. They clearly saw him as a good championship front man with an ability to do a bit of shithousery as well. I have my doubts about him, and always have had to be honest, but there is no doubt that we do seem to be a better team when he is playing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The problem is if Gally left for 2m we wouldn't see much more than 200k of transfer fee and we would not be paying anything like the 16k a week to his replacement.

He might be over paid, but he is better than a 100k striker from the Bulgarian 3rd division  getting 1k per week. Who we would end up as his replacement.

The only winners would be the owners who would be writing a smaller cheque, assuming they ever get back to funding us.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gallagher was excellent yesterday and we are much better with him in the team currently then not. Still need another striker signing but Gallagher has proved his worth under Eustace 

Maybe I am being unfair but apart from the run that led to the Hedges goal - where Gallagher miscontrolled and was quite fortunate with a rebound - I am struggling to think what he did in the game? Everything seemed to go through Dolan, Hedges, JRC with Szmodics fishing nicely a couple of times?

Edit - I quite like Gallagher in some areas. He's very good defensively, and sometimes can suit a direct way of playing. But yesterday was the sort of game where the team were purposefully avoiding giving him the ball as his touch and link up is so poor.

Edited by joey_big_nose

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Maybe I am being unfair but apart from the run that led to the Hedges goal - where Gallagher miscontrolled and was quite fortunate with a rebound - I am struggling to think what he did in the game? Everything seemed to go through Dolan, Hedges, JRC with Szmodics fishing nicely a couple of times?

I am not a Gally fan, but what I have highlighted may be down to Gally attracting the attention of the defenders?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bethnal said:

Do you think there could rationally be 10-15k stay aways, though? Allegedly 42k on, but didn’t appear to be anywhere near that.

The Rovers commentators made the same comment on RoversTV. Sunderland said they sold 42,000 tickets but there were apparently more like 30,000 there. That gap can't be made up by some ST holders not turning up on the day.

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am not a Gally fan, but what I have highlighted may be down to Gally attracting the attention of the defenders?

I was speaking to a Makem mate earlier about the game and he said the same thing about Gally. I argued he can't control a ball win a header or do much but he argued that yesterday despite what I thought Gally took the central defenders focus all game and that allowed our small quick players to have space. He wasn't surprised we do better with him in the side even if he doesn't score much. 

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

• Like 3

The only disappointment I have about yesterday is that we didn't bring on Telalovic when we went 4-0 up

I thought the lad had small glimpses of improvement under JDT. A couple of good bits of link up play and holding the ball up. Yesterday could have been a perfect game for him to get his first goal, which can totally change a forwards mentality

Other than that, a perfect performance. It all seemed to click

• Like 1

Still buzzing after the win yesterday. 

How bad are Sunderland though. They are my dark horses for relegation next season. They are following the same blueprint as us - slash the wage budget, sell your experienced players and rely on youth. Their best player, Clarke, will leave in the summer and they'll employ a yes man in the dug out, all of which spells disaster. They're being run into the ground by their owners. We know the feeling all too well.

• Like 1

I agree gallagher adds a well needed physical side to the game, despite not being amazing at it.. i think we'll get more results if we play like that - JDTs fluid quick passing style with a confident defence, wing backs not being over commited and exposing us. A nice mix of long ball and playing from the back. Like a normal team

• Like 3

• J*B unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Edit - I quite like Gallagher in some areas. He's very good defensively, and sometimes can suit a direct way of playing. But yesterday was the sort of game where the team were purposefully avoiding giving him the ball as his touch and link up is so poor.

He worked hard, did the rough stuff, He wasn't bully O'Nien either and stood in. 

We are much better team with him in this team

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He worked hard, did the rough stuff, He wasn't bully O'Nien either and stood in. 

We are much better team with him in this team

He’s our only real option up front unfortunately. “ In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king “ . Long live King Gally.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s our only real option up front unfortunately. “ In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king “ . Long live King Gally.

Its either him or Telalovic. Its an area in the summer we need at least 1 signing in. As well possible Szmodics replacement. Big Summer ahead for Broughton and Eustace