BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

39 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Postcards sent, then a telegram and to make sure delivered with not too much pace at a perfect height for the keeper to save, the only requirement was to dive the correct way.

3 of the most pathetic penalties I've ever seen.

If you're not going to put it in the side netting then you've just got to smash it. Those three attempts were absolutely woeful and a real shame as they were so close.

The three Portuguese penalties were textbook examples of how to take a penalty.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

They have.

But I think it puts them in context. Even the so called weaker nations can defend well enough to keep out the so called favourites.

England beware - Switzerland are the one that can, not only defend well, but have some talent and pace up front (that the likes of Slovenia don't have)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

But I think it puts them in context. Even the so called weaker nations can defend well enough to keep out the so called favourites.

England beware - Switzerland are the one that can, not only defend well, but have some talent and pace up front (that the likes of Slovenia don't have)

They do have that guy who plays for liepzig and he's far better than anything Switzerland have

14 hours ago, RTM08 said:

Slovenia have been elite at the back, but god they've been abysmal in front of goal.

Yet Sesko is being touted as the next big thing. He missed an absolute sitter that would have sent them through.

I was torn on who I wanted to go out. Portugal, as others have said, are easy to dislike. Especially with over the hill Ronaldo pouting. The best thing Martinez could do is drop him, but he won't.

Slovenia never tried to attack in 4 matches. Their defensive solidity is admirable but I'd like to see more. Much like England.

6 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Slovakia couldn't handle us when we upped the tempo and actually attacked. 

Against Slovakia we inserted some urgency, played with impetus and TWO up front and low-and-behold, bagged two goals. Southgate then hooked a striker and put everyone behind the ball inviting pressure for the rest of extra time. The guy kills me.  Rovers do it, get a lead and then sit back until they concede. It's a dreadful, backward strategy, especially when in the ascendancy.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Of course, but its not much of a crumb if comfort to resort to the fact that other favourites have also failed to wipe the floor with teams.

The concerns with England are seperate from any comparisons with other nations. I think pre tournament hopes came from a flurry of emerging talented players, you looked down the attacking list and we have a number of players that have either emerged since previous tournaments (Palmer, Eze, Gordon, Mainoo, Wharton etc) or ones that have thrived since the last tournament like Foden and Bellingham.

But looking back, although previous teams perhaps didnt have the same talent on paper, its never been as disorganised and I dont know how that can be overcome. We literally dont have a left back and thats caused issues. There is no balance in the midfield and all of our attacking players seem to want to do the same thing. 

You look back, Shaw was fit for those tournaments. The likes of Henderson and Phillips were not stand out names but they at least provided balance and we had players running in behind Kane which we dont have now.

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

They do have that guy who plays for liepzig and he's far better than anything Switzerland have

Slovenia are reliant on Sesko but to the point where he has been taking shots from silly areas. But otherwise, and aside from a world class keeper, they are just a solid and well organised side full of players who are playing at lower levels.

Switzerland have quality across the team. Defenders like Akanji and Schar are really good, Xhaka will fancy his chances of running the game against our midfield and unlike previous Swiss teams they have loads of pace across the whole attack.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bazza said:

One of the Netherlands' players reminds me of Edgar Davids

Hope you don’t mean Simons, he’s much more miserable looking than Edgar

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

Hope you don’t mean Simons, he’s much more miserable looking than Edgar

It is Simons. 😜

• Like 1

The Dutch another team not willing to setlle for 1 goal. I honestly think every game I've watched this tournament has been enjoyable except the England ones.

• Like 1

Shame as I thought Romania would be a decent threat, but the Dutch have been much better.

However, it's really dumb that they could meet Austria in the QF despite them being in the same group.

• Backroom

I'd happily see Dumfries banned for a game for simulation. 

Same for any England player that did it.

If u go down clutching your face when the foot was about 6 inches from it, you are cheating to stop a break away counter attack.

In fact, I'd hav VAR step in with a red card and then ban too.

Once that's happened a couple of times, the players would all stop doing it. 

• Like 9