BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

I genuinely think the Swiss will win today. Maybe it’s just the fact I’m a pessimist. But when I look at the squads individually there’s  not many, if any swiss players, that would get into England squad. Maybe xhaka would make the bench yet somehow they come together as a team. If I was a Swiss fella tucking in to my morning fondue I’m looking at the England squad thinking keep it tight and let’s hope it doesn’t get embarrassing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I genuinely think the Swiss will win today. Maybe it’s just the fact I’m a pessimist. But when I look at the squads individually there’s  not many, if any swiss players, that would get into England squad. Maybe xhaka would make the bench yet somehow they come together as a team. If I was a Swiss fella tucking in to my morning fondue I’m looking at the England squad thinking keep it tight and let’s hope it doesn’t get embarrassing.

One side is a settled team and the other side is a collection of players.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

One side is a settled team and the other side is a collection of players.

Yeah. A collection of individuals who to a man are better than their opposite number vs a team. A Team wins more often than not. Unfortunately 

12 hours ago, M_B said:

For Germany to get the penalty against Denmark, and not get that one, sums up everything that is wrong with the decision making. 

And Atwell was the VAR official on both occasions

51 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Akanji would be our best defender for a start.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Yeah. A collection of individuals who to a man are better than their opposite number vs a team. A Team wins more often than not. Unfortunately 

For as long as I've been alive England have always been a collection of individuals.

It's always been more important for them to be seen as an England player rather than them actually playing for England.

39 minutes ago, matt83 said:

One hell of an indictment of Southgate, and it's so true.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

It's always been more important for them to be seen as an England player rather than them actually playing for England.

Correct. The old maxim still stands: There is no ɪ in Team

Edited by Ianrally
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telephone Masturbator said:

Palmer must start tonight.

Fully expecting a performance tonight 

England 3-0 Switzerland 

Palmer 9'

Kane 27'

Bellingham 49'

Both your forum name and your England prediction are disturbingly detailed.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

Correct. The old maxim still stands: There is no ɪ in Team

Try telling that to Ronaldo; mard, bigheaded git!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, roverandout said:

Roberto martinez the destroyer of golden generations

There's such a cognitive dissonance between the hype built around football and the actual thing. It's probably been the case since forever but that Fra v Portugal game summed it up for me. A terrible advert for the game with ultra conservative keep ball and little quality or composure in the final third. There's such a contrast between the hype and promotion and the real thing that, on this basis, it's basically a scam.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, bazza said:

Try telling that to Ronaldo; mard, bigheaded git!

I remember a few years ago when Portugal played France in that Euro Final. Ronaldo went off early on with an injury but the rest of the team battled on manfully into extra time and eventually won 1-0. When the team went up to receive the trophy who should be first in line to get the cup ? Yes, the guy who’d played about 10 minutes and done naff all to win it.

A real captain would have said “ You guys won the cup, you go up and get it, I’ll tag along at the back “.

That told me all i needed to know about Ronaldo. Great footballer, but a very poor team player.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, roverandout said:

Roberto martinez the destroyer of golden generations

You know, you just know, that if Southgate walks away Bobby Martinez will make the FA shortlist.

As for today, I'm not nervous, honest. *distant sound of cowbells intensifies*

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Telephone Masturbator said:

England 3-0 Switzerland 

Palmer 9'

Kane 27'

Bellingham 49'

Sounds from the papers like we will go 343 but the only player change Konsa for Guehi. No Palmer, Gordon, Toney etc. Saka LWB, Trippier RWB. Foden and Bellingham play as two number 10s behind Kane.

Its positionally an improvement but seems harsh Palmer doesnt get a look. And while Saka is a fantastic right forward its a long time since he's played LWB. And I would have thought Trents engine and delivery would make him a better fit for RWB than Trippier.

Edited by joey_big_nose

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember a few years ago when Portugal played France in that Euro Final. Ronaldo went off early on with an injury but the rest of the team battled on manfully into extra time and eventually won 1-0. When the team went up to receive the trophy who should be first in line to get the cup ? Yes, the guy who’d played about 10 minutes and done naff all to win it.

A real captain would have said “ You guys won the cup, you go up and get it, I’ll tag along at the back “.

That told me all i needed to know about Ronaldo. Great footballer, but a very poor team player.

Got to love him taking the ball for every free kick within 40 yards like hes Roberto Carlos but he's only scored one in his last 120+ attempts..!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Telephone Masturbator said:

England 3-0 Switzerland 

Palmer 9'

Kane 27'

Bellingham 49'

Southgate is by nature a defensive orientated manager.

He's not going to change that in a EURO QF.

He probably will start Palmer but he'll be hampered by team tactics same as Foden and Saka. 

I think it will be a low scoring game. England to win 2-1.

The "performance", by the players and not Southgate although he will get the credit, can be saved for the Final v Spain where that and luck will be needed.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Sounds from the papers like we will go 343 but the only player change Konsa for Guehi. No Palmer, Gordon, Toney etc. Saka LWB, Trippier RWB. Foden and Bellingham play as two number 10s behind Kane.

Its positionally an improvement but seems harsh Palmer doesnt get a look. And while Saka is a fantastic right forward its a long time since he's played LWB. And I would have thought Trents engine and delivery would make him a better fit for RWB than Trippier.

I'd drop Foden and Trippier for Palmer and Trent.

Saka LWB and Trent RWB.

• Like 1