BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Next to him we have Guehi, again, not played in months.

played last 3 games of the season

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Chilwell is rubbish and Hall is a kid who has barely ever played so even mentioning him is premature. However good Shaw is, Euro 2024 Shaw wont be anywhere near those levels.

Chilwell should have been picked. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure we should considering the defensive issues. Southgate is not a good manager but I think our defensive problems are the biggest concern.

if you can`t defend then base the side on attacking,thats our biggest strength,there are goals galore in this england side,im`e not convinced on any side at the euros tbh,if we don`t a major trophy  now then we never will

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

by watching the games he played in Shaw is our best left back by far. 

Who would you go for then? 

Just because he’s all we’ve got it doesn’t make him a top player.  Ray Wilson, Terry Cooper, Kenny Sansom, Ashley Cole  - they were really top left backs. Shaw doesn’t even come close to any of those.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just because he’s all we’ve got it doesn’t make him a top player.  Ray Wilson, Terry Cooper, Kenny Sansom, Ashley Cole  - they were really top left backs. Shaw doesn’t even come close to any of those.

Shaw is not a top left back but he good solid left back. 

So as I asked who would you gone for? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Shaw is not a top left back but he good solid left back. 

So as I asked who would you gone for? 

Yeah, you’re right he’s a good solid player. He’s no longer at top level. The problem is he’s had more than his share of injuries. I don’t follow the Prem much but my scouts tell me that lad Mitchell, at Palace,  is going as well as anybody

Unfortunately the days are gone when you possibly had 16 to 18 English left backs playing at the old top level. You’ll know better than me how many candidate there are but there can’t be that many now.

Maybe change to 5 at the back and play Saka as a left wing back.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Watching Southgate's post match interview I thought he was making excuses and seemed shit scared, it will be another "nearly man" competition I fear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

if you can`t defend then base the side on attacking,thats our biggest strength,there are goals galore in this england side,im`e not convinced on any side at the euros tbh,if we don`t a major trophy  now then we never will

And we will be packed full of attacking quality but with as poor/unfit a defence as ours is, we will always be vulnerable v top teams.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

played last 3 games of the season

Chilwell should have been picked. 

2 small cameos and 1 start after months off injured.

He might be fit ie injury free. He cant be anywhere near match fit and totally sharp.

Chilwell is shit and again, was injured.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

And we will be packed full of attacking quality but with as poor/unfit a defence as ours is, we will always be vulnerable v top teams.

international football going through a strange phase,there are no outstanding sides in europe at the moment,this should be our time,poor defence or not,we can outscore anybody,in football parlance,attack,attack attack attack attack

• Like 1

He might be fit ie injury free. He cant be anywhere near match fit and totally sharp.

He seems extremely injury prone. Reminds me a bit of Grella.

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

international football going through a strange phase,there are no outstanding sides in europe at the moment,this should be our time,poor defence or not,we can outscore anybody,in football parlance,attack,attack attack attack attack

Im not doubting that Southgate is a huge worry but I think people look at our world class attacking players and focus too much on that, you are always up against it in terms of winning a tournament with our defence.

France and Portugal might not have the same level of world class attackers (they do have some great players themselves mind) but they have more rounded teams. Possibly Germany too. Holland have the best defence but the opposite problem, average attackers.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He seems extremely injury prone. Reminds me a bit of Grella.

Chilwell? He is indeed very injury prone and not very good when fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, you’re right he’s a good solid player. He’s no longer at top level. The problem is he’s had more than his share of injuries. I don’t follow the Prem much but my scouts tell me that lad Mitchell, at Palace,  is going as well as anybody

Unfortunately the days are gone when you possibly had 16 to 18 English left backs playing at the old top level. You’ll know better than me how many candidate there are but there can’t be that many now.

Maybe change to 5 at the back and play Saka as a left wing back.

Mitchell is decent enough but not sure he is international quality. 

I wouldn't play Saka as left wing back, he tried that before and didn't work. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He will get fitting by playing.He would be part of five centre backs I would have taken if everyone was available and injury free

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

if he was shit he wouldn't be a club who finished 6th in the PL. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mitchell is decent enough but not sure he is international quality. 

I wouldn't play Saka as left wing back, he tried that before and didn't work. 

He will get fitting by playing.He would be part of five centre backs I would have taken if everyone was available and injury free

if he was shit he wouldn't be a club who finished 6th in the PL. 

Guehi is a good defender, not at the very top level though, but good, when fully fit. He cant possibly be anywhere near fully match fit, neither can Stones and neither certainly can Shaw.

That might well be a decent defence if they were, but they arent. And you cant afford to use tournament matches to bring a player up to speed, never mind 3/4 of the defence, and I suspect that along with a poor manager may cost us.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Guehi is a good defender, not at the very top level though, but good, when fully fit. He cant possibly be anywhere near fully match fit, neither can Stones and neither certainly can Shaw.

That might well be a decent defence if they were, but they arent. And you cant afford to use tournament matches to bring a player up to speed, never mind 3/4 of the defence, and I suspect that along with a poor manager may cost us.

I never said Guehi is top level tho. If Maguire or White had been available then for me they would start next to Stones for me above Guehi. 

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

We didn’t win a game in the last Nations league. We aren’t winning this.

Nations league is no barometer for success at a tournament.  We were shite in the n,l but turned up at the world cup when we were a penalty away from taking France into extra time.  Nations league is usually a chance to blood players.  There's no team in this tournament we can't beat

There isnt, but equally you put the big teams in front of a defence full of half fit players and theyll be licking their lips.

Completely agree. Our defence is our achilles heel. Has been for years. Serbia will cause us all sorts of problems.  That's why we need protection in front. And that's why I'd start Wharton and rice.  They tackle back.  

8 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Completely agree. Our defence is our achilles heel. Has been for years. Serbia will cause us all sorts of problems.  That's why we need protection in front. And that's why I'd start Wharton and rice.  They tackle back.  

I think Trent will start if the squad numbers are anything to go by.

The group should be comfortable, especially now the stupid format means that most 3rd place teams go through. Our group doesnt look too difficult. Denmark and Serbia look to have quite aging teams, and the likes of Mitrovic and Milinkovic-Savic are good players but are playing in Saudi Arabia so wont be as sharp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

Nations league is no barometer for success at a tournament.  We were shite in the n,l but turned up at the world cup when we were a penalty away from taking France into extra time.  Nations league is usually a chance to blood players.  There's no team in this tournament we can't beat

No we weren’t shite in the Nations League before the World Cup. We got 10 points compared to three lately, including that 0-4 humbling off Hungary at home.

QF for me and out at the first proper test we have.

• Like 1